Hey guys! Could you look over my essay?

Prompt:
If you were an employer, which kind of worker would you prefer to hire: an inexperienced worker at a lower salary or an experienced worker at a higher salary? Use specific reasons and details to support your answer.

My essay:

Hiring people in a company is the most difficult task that every employer encounters in his professional life. Personally, I strongly believe that it is better to hire an experienced employee and offer him a higher wage than an “inexpensive” inexperienced employee. I feel this way for two main reasons which I will explore in the following essay.

First of all, an experienced worker is less error-prone. In other words, an employee who has already worked for a certain amount of time with similar projects will make fewer mistakes and produce more high-quality work. My personal experience is a compelling example of this. A few years ago, when I worked in an IT company, I had an interesting discussion with my manager. The majority of the programmers working in my company were already seniors with more than 5 years of experience. This is why I asked my manager to explain to me the reasons why they preferred seniors to entry-level programmers. He told me that even though entry-level employees are much more affordable for the company, since they are being paid up to 5 times less than seniors do, the company’s most important task is to ensure that the software it makes is of high-quality and it can only do so by hiring “expensive” reliable programmers. To be more specific, he told me that since entry-level programmers lack the necessary experience with real programming projects, they are unable to make robust software. As a result, were the company to replace most seniors with entry-level staff, it would lose most of its clients as the quality of its software would deteriorate.

Secondly, an experienced worker is able to complete the same amount of work in less time compared to an inexperienced one. To be more specific, on the grounds that he has worked for numerous years, he knows how to address and complete a project in less time. For instance, some time ago, when I did my internship in an IT company, my boss told me that the amount of time in which a project is completed is extremely important because it can contribute to the increase of the profits of the company. Additionally, he said that only an experienced developer could complete a task in a time-efficient manner and at the same time maintain the same level of quality. On account of this fact, he mentioned that it is better to hire employees with relevant previous experience and pay them more as it will make the company more profitable.

In conclusion, choosing suitable employees according to a company’s standards is one of the hardest tasks. I am of the opinion that hiring experienced workers is better. This is because not only do they make less mistakes and produce high-quality work but they complete the assigned tasks in less time than inexperienced ones do.

2 Likes