He has been sleeping for five hours. vs They have been playing since four o'clock

:smiley: A very sweet Good Morning to you Alan.
Sir your illustrations really works a lot for me and every time you teache me a new thing. :lol: Thanks a million!

Please remove my confusion what the main and slight difference is indicated between these two tenses. I came across with this confusion in an English grammar book:

1. Present Perfect Tense
    to denote an action begnning at some time in the past and continuing up to the present moment(often with since-and for-phrases);as,
  1. I have known him for a long time.
    2.He has been ill since last week.
  1. Present Perfect Continuous Tense
    this tense is used for an action which began at some time in the past and is still continuing; as
    1.He has been sleeping for five hours.
    2.They have been playing since four o’clock.

I am confuse where to use which tense as tenses are different but there definition seems to be the same.

Waiting for your kind reply.
Thanks sir.

simple example

I have painted my house(this mean I finished painting)

I have been painting my house for two hours (I started two hours ago and I am still painting)

A very sweet Good Morning to you Alan.
Sir your illustrations really works a lot for me and every time you teache me a new thing. Thanks a million!

Please remove my confusion what the main and slight difference is indicated between these two tenses. I came across with this confusion in an English grammar book:

1. Present Perfect Tense
    to denote an action begnning at some time in the past and continuing up to the present moment(often with since-and for-phrases);as,
  1. I have known him for a long time.
    2.He has been ill since last week.
  1. Present Perfect Continuous Tense
    this tense is used for an action which began at some time in the past and is still continuing; as
    1.He has been sleeping for five hours.
    2.They have been playing since four o’clock.

I am confuse where to use which tense as tenses are different but there definition seems to be the same.

Waiting for your kind reply.
Thanks sir.

Where are you from Sonia?

I am from India. I want to know the illustration of above said question.

I know. I just wanted to help. and yes I know difference between these two tenses.

in first sentence you finished painting

but second one you are still painting

Hi Sonia,

As the name suggests, the Present Perfect joins the past and present or, if you like, then and now. The Simple form covers from then up till now: I have lived here since 2001. The Continuous form covers from then till now and also suggests the future as in: I have been waiting at the bus stop since 10 this morning. This suggests that you are still waiting.

Alan

ohh Please don’t take it ill.
I mean to say just read out the language.Just read the definition of both the tenses.please define me:

She has been ill since last week. ( present perfect)
She has been sleeping for two hours.( present perfect continuous)

now please tell the difference between the two sentences. If you define clearly I wouldn’t take it ill.

Respected sir.
If I am getting your point, the sentence" I have lived here since 2001" does not suggest the future.In other words this sentence
suggests that this action is not going to be continued in the future.

Please reply sir. Thanks a lot sir.

Respected sir.
If I am getting your point, the sentence" I have lived here since 2001" does not suggest the future.In other words this sentence
suggests that this action is not going to be continued in the future. Am I right Sir?

Please reply sir. Thanks a lot sir.

Respected Sir Alan,

you left my question unanswered.I typied it twice but all in vain.Did I annoy you at any point or I commit any mistake that you did not consider my question?

Thanks.

Hi Sonia,

Yes, you are right. the Present perfect Simple is from then till now. It is only the continuous form that suggests that the action is going to continue into the future.

Alan

Please see my reply.

Alan

Thanks a million Sir.

Really a teacher matters a lot for their students.

Thanks Sir.
sonia*

Hi Sonia,

Please read this: What is a meaningful message title and why is it important?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEFL listening discussions: Which best describes the student’s current activity?[YSaerTTEW443543]

I am awfully sorry sir.
By the next time I will be very careful. Thanks for everything sir.

Hi Sonia,

Why wait until the next time? You can edit the title of your post now. Simply click on the ‘edit’ button.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between two students in their dormitory during registration week[YSaerTTEW443543]

Good morning sir,
I can not dare disobey your order sir. You are very right why to wait until next.I just do it without any further argument.

Thanks for all your help sir.
Sonia*

hello sir, I tried but it showed " you can not edit this post".