Since we’ve been given recipes of drinks to fight off the cold on another thread, I thought I’d offer one to combat the heat.
For those of you who don’t know gazpacho, it’s a (really) delicious Andalusian cold soup. Plus it’s super healthy, as it’s packed with vitamins. You can eat it as a soup or drink it out of a glass, which is what I normally do (I could drink it by the gallon!). If you don’t have very ripe tomatoes, you’d better buy your gazpacho ready-made, if you can find it. Here’s the basic, foolproof recipe:
- 1 - 1 ? kg red (very ripe) tomatoes
- 1 cucumber
- 1 green pepper
- 1 small onion
- 2 or 3 cloves garlic
- for a thick soup, add some bread (it can be stale) soaked in water
- a generous pouring of (preferably extra virgin, cold pressed) olive oil
- vinegar or lemon
Blend in a mixer.
- a pinch of ground cumin and/or black pepper
- some very cold water and/or ice cubes
The longer you keep it in the fridge, the better it tastes – up to a day!
Please let me know if you’ve tried it and how you liked it.
Any other refreshing ideas, anyone?