Have you had your gazpacho today?

Since we’ve been given recipes of drinks to fight off the cold on another thread, I thought I’d offer one to combat the heat.

For those of you who don’t know gazpacho, it’s a (really) delicious Andalusian cold soup. Plus it’s super healthy, as it’s packed with vitamins. You can eat it as a soup or drink it out of a glass, which is what I normally do (I could drink it by the gallon!). If you don’t have very ripe tomatoes, you’d better buy your gazpacho ready-made, if you can find it. Here’s the basic, foolproof recipe:

• 1 - 1 ? kg red (very ripe) tomatoes
  • 1 cucumber
  • 1 green pepper
  • 1 small onion
  • 2 or 3 cloves garlic
  • for a thick soup, add some bread (it can be stale) soaked in water
  • a generous pouring of (preferably extra virgin, cold pressed) olive oil
  • vinegar or lemon
  • salt

Blend in a mixer.

Optional:

• a pinch of ground cumin and/or black pepper
  • some very cold water and/or ice cubes

The longer you keep it in the fridge, the better it tastes – up to a day!

Please let me know if you’ve tried it and how you liked it.

Any other refreshing ideas, anyone?

HI Conchita!

Thanks for the recipe! As I?m a fan of garlic, I?m sure I?ll try your recipe soon. I?m excited how it does taste.

Michael

I also like garlic.
By the way, who said something like ‘garlic should be eaten together’? Remarque?

P.S.

:!:
Say ‘cheese’! :wink: :slight_smile:

Tamara

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi Tamara!

Thanks for pointing out my sillyness! But seriously, having had a hard labour day (everything went wrong and the colleague who helped me, stole my nerves) I had to warm up and this sentence was the first English I wrote today. :shock: :roll: I(we) promise not to be as selfish as I seem to be in the recent post.

[size=150][color=green]CHEESE!!![/size] :lol: :lol:

By the way, from any reason that reminds me a joke:

Once a broadmouthfrog wanted to get a polaroid from himself. So it went to a photoatelier. The photographer tried to get him completely on the photograph but it didn?t work as it was a broadmouthfrog. So the photographer advised the broadmouthfrog to say marmelade while he shots a polaroid of it. So the frog whispered the whole time marmelade, marmelade, mar…and so on while the photographer prepared the next polaroid. Having finished the preparation the photographer said to the frog: “Look, here is the bird!” and the frog said: “Confiture” :roll: :lol:

Hope you can enjoy the joke!

Michael

:slight_smile: :smiley:

In my language there is a similar joke where a frog instead of saying булочка с изюмом (bun with raising) says кекс (cake with raising :slight_smile: )- in Russian pronunciation that makes the same effect :smiley: Inverse, I mean :slight_smile:

P.S.

:frowning: :frowning:

Hi Conchita …

What’s that a great Andalusian cold soup !!!

well …I haven’t tried it yet, but I asked my mother about it and she told me that It’s very healthy meal… and as you said …with some bread, it will be greatest … :slight_smile:

by the way …my mother promised me that she will do it soon … so I’m waiting :smiley:

Herc

Good joke :lol: ! Are you sure it’s not ‘jam’ instead of ‘confiture’, though?

Hi Conchita!

I must admitt that you were right with pointing out the mistake in my joke. But the biggest mistake I made was that I replaced the two words. While you tip your lipps by speaking the first syllable in confiture, you must broaden your mouth if you say marmelade. :roll: Sorry, but you?re so kind to oversee that as you understood the joke.
What about jam? I think there is no extensive moving of the mouth by saying jam, is there?

Michael

Maybe you’re right, Michael, unless perhaps you speak with a ‘deep south’ southern US accent (also called drawl, I think): jaaaaaam :slight_smile: . But, then again, you don’t really have to open your mouth wide to utter a long vowel, do you?

As the above photographer was mainly concerned (at least in Russian interpretation of the joke :slight_smile: ) about horizontal dimension :slight_smile: – i.e. about tooooo ‘broadly’ frog’s smile, too lengthy, too stretched (up to ears) frog’s mouth, jaaaam and кееееекс are both OK. :slight_smile:

Ugh! Don’t make me think about gazpacho! I can’t drink the stuff! There are only three foods I think are nastier than gazpacho: tabouleh, hummous and guacamole. I don’t even like to be in the same room with them.

I have yet to try “pacha”, which is lamb stomachs stuffed with brains and spices, so I can’t say whether it’s as bad as it sounds.

Oh, and I don’t understand how people can drink tomato juice. I eat tomatoes, but I can’t stand the juice. It’s a real waste of good tomatoes.

However, I do love dumplings stuffed with pur?ed chicken feet, and I generally have a reputation as a person who can eat almost anything.

Hi Conchita,
It is the most popular cold soup in Poland.

Chlodnik Litewski: literal translation -" Lithuanian Cold Soup"
The name in English:Cold Beet Soup.

Ingredients:

1 cup chopped baby beet greens and little roots
1/2 to 3/4 cup ham
2 cups boiling water
1-1/2 to 2 qt. sour milk
1 peeled cucumber
1 bunch radishes
1 bunch green onions
3 tsp. freshly chopped dill
Salt, pepper and sugar

Directions:
Place 1 cup chopped baby beet greens and roots (smaller than a radish) and 1/2 to 3/4 cup diced boiled ham (or diced cooked veal) in pot with 2 cups boiling water. Simmer for 15 minutes. Cool.

Add 1-1/2 to 2 quarts sour milk beaten smooth with wire whisk or commercial buttermilk, 1/2 cup fork blended, pourable sour cream, peeled cucumber, bunch radishes, bunch green onions (all vegetables chopped and shredded) and dill. Add a little salt, pepper, and sugar (optional). Sour to taste with a little dill pickle juice or lemon. Refrigerate overnight for flavors to intermingle or at least 5 hours.

Serve cold over sliced hard-boiled eggs.

A refreshing hot weather treat! To get the proper deep-pink color add juice of grated, raw beet or canned beet juice.

Regards
Jan
Well, by courtesy of some cooking web page -forgotten which one.

Hi,conchita.
It’s the first time I hear about gazpacho and I’m curious now, tomorrow I’ll tell you,how does it taste…Thanks for the recipe.
Cris

Conchita its delicious,really
the only problem I have is that now I need something HOT BECAUSE I’M FREEZING,HEEEEEELLLLLLLPPPPPPPP!!! :oops:
Cris.