have not read the book vs. had not read the book

Hello…could u guys show me what the difference between these phrases:
I have not read the book
I had not read the book
I did not read the …
when shall i use the first phrase and the second as well … sorry but i face problems in understanding present perfect tense especially

I have not read the book. - Ive never read it.
I had not read the book. - but I have now.
I did not read the book. - Now I possibly have, but I may still not have read it.

Thanks alot … but …ummm. still confusing :slight_smile: MORE clarification if u please !!!

like when shall i use ( I have done that and that ), ( I did do …) (I had … ) i’m new here please explaine it to me

Hi. What is it that continues to confuse you?

The present perfect refers to the entire past, and the action is still true.

I have not read the book = At no point did I read the book. That is true even today.

The present perfect also refers to recently completed action or action that began in the past that may or may not continue. As you can see with “live,” it is especially common when something happens over an extended period or repeatedly.

I have bought the book. = I just bought the book.
I have lived here for five years, and I am moving today.
I have lived here for five years, and I will never leave.

The past perfect refers to a past action that precedes another.

I had not read the book = At that time, the book remained unread. That changed, and I have read it. In an account of past events, you might choose this tense even if you still have not read it as long as you are relating your failure to read it to something that happened afterward.

Example: I knew I was going to fail the test. I had not read the book. To this day, I still have not read the book.

I did not read the book. = This one has more overlap. It can be used for any of the above meanings or to say that you recently did not read the book, which is what it is best for.

it’s NOT confusing anymore sir …very very very good explaination , thanks alot from the bottom of my heart , ALL .