'Have Got'

I’ve been seeing this phrase in written English for years and now I just want to know the truth about it.

Is the phrase ‘I have got something’ grammatically correct?

In Present Simple “have got” = “have”. There’s no difference in usage between the two; well, maybe “have got” (often abbreviated to simple “got”) is a bit less formal than “have” but that should be confirmed by people with better experience in English grammar.

And yes, the said sentence is definitely correct.

Well fml… Thanks very much, never knew :)!

I wonder if fml means what I almost immediately thought. %S Would the result be a distinct cessation of signs of life following a period of obvious liveliness?

‘have got’ or ‘got’ - is definitely less formal than ‘have’. Though all versions are widely accepted as grammatically correct, as Jaro indiates, I would avoid ‘got’ in academic papers and the like – it would be my luck to have a professor who went against the mainstream of acceptance.

(Well, okay, I was taught at a grammar school a long time ago and I was taught to avoid it in all circumstances – an action which I admit to continuing to the present time.)

That actually clears thing up even more, thanks again. And… I think you’re right about the ‘distinct cessation of signs of life following a period of obvious liveliness’. It took me well over half a minute to partially understand that sentence X_X.

Thanks again! :).

Just so that you don’t make a mistake: if you use “have got”, then you treat it the same way you deal with Present Perfect. In other words:

You have got something/You’ve got something/You got something.

Have you got something (anything)/You got something (anything)?

You have not got anything/You haven’t got anything/You got nothing.

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks again. (again :P).