Has not been vs is not

What is the difference between the two?

The budget has not been approved yet.
The budget is not approved yet.

The 2nd ‘approved’ can be looked upon as or is an adjective describing a state of being (not) approved, while the 1st is a past participle.

Don’t quite understand. So when do we use present participle tense and simple present tense? How does each change the meaning of the sentence?

E.g. Did we ship out the goods? Versus
Have we shipped out the goods?

The plan has been approved = The plan was approved by someone (maybe we don’t know the exact name, or it is not required to give the name)
The plan is approved = This tells only the state/status - whether the plan is in approved state or not.
The plan was approved on Monday = Use ‘was’ whenever we want to give the exact time/day for that action.

Regards,
Suresh

If you’re trying to use ‘approve’ as a verb and insist on using ‘yet’, only the first sentence is correct. The difference is the probability of being approved of the budget. The first might while the second not.

My opinion

#1 correct
#2 incorrect
That’s the difference.
The simple present tense can not be used with the adverb of time “yet”.

And, of course, the second sentence is grammatically correct only after you omit ‘yet’. Then, it means the budget might not be approved.

I see nothing wrong with using “yet” in #2.
The budget isn’t approved yet.
Or
The budget isn’t yet approved.

I would think it’s an AmE usage.

I agree with Tort. There’s nothing wrong with either example.

So, is the difference I have pointed out correct?

No. It’s nothing to do with AmE or BrE.
There’s nothing wrong with either example. The tense you use depends on your preference and the wider context.

Hi,

The difference is that

is a passive construction and we assume that something like ‘by the government’ is understood. The second sentence

simply describes the status of the budget.

Alan

“the status” reminds me of something that is “temporarily”.
Don’t we use the simple present tense for habitual events?

Train to my home town leaves at 06.00 in the morning. (every day, who knows for how long)

‘Train is not approved to leave yet,’ is simply not grammatically correct for me but could be accepted in informal conversation.

Why have the train been staying at the station?
The train hasn’t been approved to leave yet.

Let me try to propose the question on which the proper answer would be,‘The train is not approved to leave yet.’

Is it,‘Why the train is staying at the station?’

is staying ~ the present continuous tense
is ~ the present simple, some grammarians call it indefinite tense

I’ve thought that, in order to answer the question, I ought to use the same tense which has been used in the question.

Thanks

Why is the train staying at the station?
It hasn’t had approval to leave yet. / It isn’t permitted to leave yet.

Hello coach, is this question correct?

Why has the train been staying at the station?

If so, please give me the possible answers.

Thanks

It’s not a usual tense choice. It would only be used if the train had stayed at the station when it should have left over a number of occasions.

Why has the train been staying at the station (instead of leaving at 7pm each day)?

There are no set possible answers. Some examples might be:
It hasn’t been able to move.
It has had technical difficulties.
There have been problems with the engine.

For this question: “Why is the train staying at the station?”
is the answer “It isn’t approved to leave yet.” wrong?
Do you say, one can answer as, “It isn’t permitted to leave yet.”?
Please confirm.

It’s not wrong, but I can’t imagine a NES using ‘approved’ over ‘permitted’ in the context of trains and stations. In fact, I don’t think ‘staying at’ is the most likely term you would hear either. I think a more natural sounding question would be:
Why is the train still at the station?

Hi,

For some reason we usually refer to trains ‘standing at platforms’, which means they are not moving but stationary!

Alan

PS Permit me to tell the old, old joke, which goes as follows:

Customer in a department store: Excuse me. Is this the stationery department?

Assistant: Yes, Madam.

Customer: Then why doesn’t it get a move on?