Grimma Course

Hi Torsten and Ian,

Here are the main topics I am planning to teach during the first 3 days in Grimma:

getting to know each other
ask the group to list the most difficult issues encountered while studying English/ speak a little bit about the 30/30 challenge
check if they are familiar with the NATO alphabet / spelling practice
time management ( incl. revision: expressing the time/ dates)
how to set goals (private life and business)
information regarding: quality, quatity, packing, delivery, insurance, etc
common abreviations
filling out a form
cultural issues
concerns in the business world ( project work:prepare a report about future business trends)
present tense/ past tense vs present perfect, expressing obligation and possibility/ making polite requests/ giving advice
pronouns and adjectives (comparative and superlative)

If you have questions or suggestions, please post them on the forum.

Many thanks and a very nice and relaxing weekend to both of you.

Georgeta

1 Like

Hello Georgeta,

Thank you very much for sharing your lesson plans with us. How has the course been going so far? What do you recommend Ian should cover with the group?

Enjoy the holidays,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: A tractor at the beach[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi guys,

Thank you Georgeta for the above information.
Can you please tell me how the class is progressing ?
Are they overall confident with spoken English or are they a mix of talents ?
It would be nice to have a sense of the group and its structure.

OK I look forward to your next update !
Best wishes and have a great weekend Georgeta and of course ! Torsten !

Ian

1 Like

Hi Torsten and Ian!

I hope you both had a nice holiday. The Grimma course went well, so far and I really enjoyed the 3 days there.
Let me try to put everything in a logical order:

The group consists of 19 women and 1 man and they are taking this 2-year training preparing themselves for 3 different types of employment. (sales, office and sports).

4 students are absolute beginners (no English in school at all) - for them I prepared every day very simple exercises (e.g. the verb ‘to be’ present/ past, personal pronouns, I tried to work with them on spelling and explain rules regarding the plural of nouns both regular and irregular). These 4 ladies are very motivated and willing to learn. Ian make sure you have handouts for them because they ‘want’ them in the morning and they will right away start working on them.

The second category needs encouragement and a lot of speaking practice. They had English in school but some are simply unable or refuse to utter a simple sentence in English.

The third group consists of about 7-8 students who are doing a pretty good job. I tried to have them help the others during the pair or group activities.

MATERIAL:

Prepare your handouts and in the morning even if Herr Meinel is not there yet, you can ask either the secretary or another lady (sorry, didn’t catch her name) to make you copies. You have at hand a projector and loudspeakers but you need to pick them up from the office and bring them back at the end of the day.
Ian, I left for you on the blackboard the daily schedule (from 8-15, with all the lunch and coffee breaks).

Content:

• getting to know each other ( ask your colleague and then introduce her/him)
    -my family (incl. genitive e.g. My mother’s son is my…, etc.)
    -spelling and copies for each student :the NATO alphabet (I had them use it every day when we came across a difficult word: those who knew the correct spelling needed to dictate the word to the rest of the group using it)
    -group discussion: difficulties encountered while studying English
  • the 30/30 challenge (incl. sources for their media library)
    -pronouns (personal pronouns, possesive adjectives/ pronouns, reflexive pronouns)
    -plural of nouns incl. nouns ending in -ss, -s, -tch etc.
    -present simple / continuous (A, I, N)
    -Clothes (here I used a PP and then we stopped at ‘jeans’. I used here the video about the Levi Strauss CO. and a very simple text). We tried to descibe people.
    -adjectives (colours, I used a short recording from this site:Learning English - The English We Speak - Green
    maybe you will find some useful material as well.
    -I used a text that allowed me to speak a few words about a possible structure of an enterprise (we focused on the sales and the qualities of a sales person)
    -I made copies for each student: Europass CV and explained to them the stucture of a cover letter
    -I tried a role-play activity (which wasn’t quite successful): interviews but we made a list containing those ‘difficult questions’). I used the recording from businessenglish podcast
    -homonyms (as we came across them in different reading materials)
    -time management and its importance (the students got handouts with exercises and useful expression, such as: due, on/in time, be running late/ ahead of time, etc.)
  • I took TOEIC test 2 ( Q11-Q40) as a listening activity and about 7-8 students did very well (only 2-7 mistakes)
    -dictation: we listened to an ABBA song and the students had to write down the lyrics
    -we watched about 45 minutes of the film ‘The secret of my success’ and in groups they took the quiz.

Torsten,

I have no idea if I did the right thing when I came up with a suggestion. On Wednesday, Herr Meinel entered the classroom with a group of 3 people in charge with the entire training program. As far as my German knowledge goes, I understood that they were asking the students about the content and structure of this 2-year course. One lady spoke a fairly decent English and I told her that maybe, if there are funds for such thing, some of the students should be encouraged to take a TOEIC test and get an additional certificate. She seemed to like the idea and promised to speak with Herr Meinel about this possibility.

Ian, you will have 3 different ‘Klassenbucher’ and 3 lists on which you will find some grades I managed to give to some of the students. We ought to do this grading since the ‘upper’ guys are asking for it. Please make sure you fill in the ‘gaps’. I tried to do my best but there were some students to whom I simply couldn’t give a mark. It is just not me to grab my pen and write figures just for the sake of having them on paper.

Sorry. guys, for writing such ‘essay’ but I really want us to work as a team and KNOW what the other is doing (the students complained about some courses where they have several trainers but they never know what the previous one did).

I know Ian will probably be commuting but just in case anyone needs accomodation in Grimma here is the address of the B&B I stayed for 2 nights:Pension am Schloss Bufe, BrĂźckenstrasse 19, tel: 03437911151 (Frau Hessel). Nothing fancy about the place but it is nice and cozy. About 15 min walk from the school.

If you have any further questions, drop me a line and I’ll get on skype.

Many thanks and a grand time in Grimma, Ian. (The gals are excited to meet ‘a very nice Irish chap’)

Best wishes to both of you and a relaxing weekend ahead.

Georgeta

1 Like

Thanks Georgeta for all the information.
I’m sure I will be fine with this group.
I will update you during the week on how things are going.

One little question, did you split the group into different levels or did you try and have them all participate some of the time together ?

Best wishes.
Ian

1 Like

Hi Ian!

Hope everything is OK your end. I didn’t get a message when you posted so it was way too late to answer your question. Sorry about that.

Enjoy your day in Grimma.

Best regards,

Georgeta

1 Like

Hi guys.
I’m back from the Grimma group.

As I seem to have a little luck with the groups I get, I can really say this group was a real pleasure to teach.
A nice mix of creative personalities and cheeky wit.

OK so this is just a run down of the topics that were covered.

Best wishes.
Ian

1 Like

06.06.2011 : 8-15.00 : Introductions. Small written text about each student. Reading and translation text (Ireland) Vocabulary (office activities) Dialogues, asking questions in the office.
16.06.2011 : 8-15.00 : Practicing (be) and usage. (Sentence building) corrections. Reading text (traveling my train) Question words (Forming simple questions (work related)
17.06.2011 : 8-15.00 : Reading and translation (working in France) Vocabulary (Money and Buying) Dialogues (Renting an apartment in Leipzig) (colours, sizes, locations) Game (word order)
22.06.2011 : 8-15.00 : Questions and answers (Hobbies and interests) Discussion (Is too much information on the Internet good or bad?) Topic debate, Questions and Answers (team based)
23.06.2011 : 8-15.00 : Students Profile (creating a professional presentation text about each student. Mock Job interview (Questions and Answers) Discussing (How to utilise Internet resources)
28.06.2011 : 8-15.00 : Job advertisements ( reading and translation ) Writhing application letter. Follow up telephone call practice.
29.06.2011 : 8-15.00 : Present Continuous, (Dialogue building) (job and family activities) Vocabulary (equipment in the working office) Telephone discussion (problem with service)
30.06.2011 : 8-15.00 : Small talk. Questions and Answers (activities after school) Health Department Applications. Reading and Translation. Completion. Questions and Answers.

01.07.2011 : 8-15.00 : Vocabulary (personnel skills) (Professional skills) Simple questions and answers (Job Interview) Filling out a job application
04.07.2011 : 8-15.00 : Students weekend plan. Q&A. Using numbers. Telling time and dates. Typical customer and staff Dialogues (in a grocery shop)
05.07.2011 : 8-15.00 : Small Revision Test of all topics covered. Game (in the suitcase) (vocabulary) Telephone Dialogues (useful phrases) Questions and Answers
06.07.2011 : 8-15.00 : Discussing future learning plans - Holiday Plans (dates, times and activities) reading and translation text (camping) Directions and Distance (using a map)

1 Like

Hi Torsten

Quick question regarding this upcoming course in Grimma.

Firstly, are The dates that we discussed before fixed?

Secondly, are we sharing the course with another/other trainer/trainers?

Cheers

Scott

Hi Scott,

Yes the dates are fixed and no, we are not sharing the course with anyone.

Thanks a lot,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: The horse race[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to introduce myself here. I will be teaching the Grimma course next week. I think the notes here will help with regard to having some idea of what to expect. I plan on using “Living English: Englisch für Erwachsene” from Pearson as my primary source for material. Its geared to an A2 level, and I think I can correlate it very well with some of the notes left here. I also have a book from Oxford University, which is geared more toward a B1-B2 level, and I might use it less extensively. It lacks some of the German instruction of the former, but I might utilize it more if I feel the students would benefit. I think I am going to spend quite a bit of time adjusting my lesson plans with each class for the first week, and then I should have a better idea of what to expect. Any comments or suggestions are welcomed.

Thank You,
Cale Reed

1 Like

Hi Cale,

Thanks a lot for posting your thoughts and plans. Seems like you are very well prepared for the Grimma course. Let me know how it goes on Monday. Best regards, Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, talks: A business partner cancels an appointment by leaving a voice mail message[YSaerTTEW443543]

Thanks a lot