Greenlit?

Anyone familiar with the prison term ‘greenlit’? I heard on The Shield and got it explained. Now I wonder if the average native speaker understands it.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between a professor and her student[YSaerTTEW443543]

I don’t know if it is necessarily a prison term. If a project got “greenlit” it got the approval to go ahead. That is the only meaning I am aware of.

Well, in prison jargon it means you are marked as a dead man being put on a hitlist.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEFL listening discussions: What will the secretary do next?[YSaerTTEW443543]

FWIW, I have never heard of that meaning. In the UK, I doubt many people would know it.

Hi Dozy, I reckon quite a few people in Great Britain watch American TV shows, series and movies so those UK viewers who watch The Shield most definitely know the term.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between two students (1)[YSaerTTEW443543]

I doubt that many people watch it or know the term.

I’ve never watched The Shield, so that may explain why I don’t know the term either. lol

Apparently the series began while I was still living in Germany, and ended a year or so after I returned to the States. Still, I don’t even remember having seen ads for it. I guess it must have been on a station I don’t watch.

I see that both “Greenlit” and “green lit” do appear in the Urban Dictionary. (There are quite a few entries in the Urban Dictionary that I’ve never heard, though…)