GRE vocabulary tests

You now can prepare for the verbal section of the GRE by taking these free interactive GRE vocabulary tests:

GRE Preparation & GRE Vocabulary Tests[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: A fruit and vegetable stand[YSaerTTEW443543]

Thank you for the tests. Indeed they are helpful. But could you please tell me, doing all the tests will guarantee our succes at verbal part? GRE test uses words from the tests, like form Pool of Issue at Analitical part?

Thank you

1 Like

hello! i am a new learner and only i wanna know how can i learn to use corretly : at, in, on … I have always been confused.
thanks a lot.

1 Like

Hi paulojair

That’s not an easy question, but maybe you could structure your “at, in, on” learning as follows:

at, in, on — when connected with time: There are some basic rules and standard exceptions. Any good grammar book should help here.

at, in, on — when connected with place: Again, a good grammar book can help

at, in, on — when part of a phrase/phrasal verb: You should always learn these words together (as one ‘unit’)
e.g. ‘be good at’, ‘be involved in’, ‘go on’, etc.

Does that help?

Amy

1 Like

Hi paulojai,

You might like to look at some material I wrote for the site on Prepositions. If you go to esl lessons and look in the index for Prepositions, you will find some articles that might help.

Alan

1 Like

Wow, that website with vocabulary practice is really helpful. I already took the test and did well on the Verbal section, but I think I would have benefited from that practice. I’ll definitely recommend it to some of my friends planning to take the test soon … Thanks

thanks dis is working for me!!

thanks a ton!!!
:smiley:

Nice… I found this one useful. You can just go on and on and on. I have no idea how many words there are, but it’s a bottomless pit of practice. agapeton.org/words/EnglishSet1

I think that to do well on the verbal part of the GRE, you need to have a very good vocabulary. I mean, come on, do people really need to know what a preposition is? I don’t think so. Besides, learning rules won’t help you at all. Instead, just take practice tests and learn your vocabulary!

Here are some sites:

number2.com
vocabularycoach.com
mygretutor.com

Also, the GRE Big Book is the best practice reference of them all, and if you can find it, it has about 30 practice tests, all of which are genuine.

Good luck. :slight_smile:

Hi aaronempy

Thanks for the site suggestions and input.

Can we assume that you’re a native speaker of English?

To answer your question about prepositions, no, people don’t necessarily need to know what a preposition is, but wouldn’t you agree that knowing how to use them and what they mean in context is important? This is often difficult for non-native speakers. :wink:

Probably the best way to learn preposition usage is in context – i.e. reading, listening, learning groups of words together as one unit (collocations), etc. and then using the words yourself. This really isn’t much different from learning vocabulary effectively.

thanks a lot… the tests are a real help…

i can even take them in my office… over n over again…

HI Torsten,

Thank you thank youuuu :smiley:

I found a new site that is really good. I just bought their GRE online pack and it’s really amazing. They have real adaptive tests and their verbal exercises and vocab builders are amazing check it out
Let me know what you think, i’m impressed so far…

watch this blog for gre test preparation really very helpful,having latest gre questions

greupdate.blogspot.com/

recent verebal questions

1. Mind

2. Descendent

3. Surplus

4. Munificent

5. Parsimony

6. Conciseness

7. Aphorism

8. Recalcitrant

9. Choir

10. Pariah

11. Ostracize

12. Peripatetic

13. Evoke

14. Zesty

15. Testy

16. Nonconformity

17. Diaphanous

18. Plummet

19. Subpoena

20. Succinct

21. Extraneous

Analogies:

1. Choir: Singer

2. Conciseness: Aphorism

3. Pariah: Ostracize

Issue Topic:

1. Too much emphasis is given to role models. Instead, we must think independently and make our own decisions.

ORKUT VERBAL DATABASE (Till Aug 28th)

1. Formidable

2. Veracious

3. Galvanize

4. Creep

5. Awe

6. Puerile

7. Barbiturate

8. Quandary

9. Delegation

10. Erudite

11. Latent

12. Saunter

13. Harangue

14. Molify

Analogies:

1. Formidable: awe

2. Saunter: walk

3. Harangue: mollify

Issue Topic:

1. Education is effective only when it is designed to meet the individual needs and interests of every Student.

DATABASE (Till Aug 27th)

1. Evoke

2. Denigrate

3. Relegate

4. Recalcitrant

5. Venerate

6. Prolong

7. Summarize

8. Merge

9. Telling

10. Quaff

11. Coagulate

12. Laconic

13. Lubrication

14. Extol

Analogies:

1. Lubrication: Friction

2. Quaff: Sip

Issue Topic:

1. To be a good leader one must have his, own principles and objective. The person who is influenced by the views and opinions of the others, can accomplish only little.

DATABASE (Till Aug 26th)

1. Diaphanous

2. Translucent

3. Prolong

4. Extrinsic

5. Strictures

6. Recalcitrant

7. Sordid

8. Archaic

9. Assiduous

10. Zealot

11. Vindictive

12. Incogitant

Analogies:

1. Incogitant: thoughtfulness

Issue Topic:

1. “Human mind is more superior than machine because afterall humans made all machine and tools.”

ORKUT VERBAL DATABASE (Till Aug 25th)

1.Sensitive

2.Supercilious

3.Serendipitous

4.Reel

5.Remote

6.Arcane

7.Antidote

8.Veto

9.Transience

Analogies:

1.Serendipitous: Effort

2.Antidote: Poison

3.Veto: Prohibitive

4.Analgesic: Pain

Issue Topic:

1.Students should develop skepticism rather than accepting the subjects passively.

hi,
can anybody tell me the difference in toefl and gre.i am planning to do some research in usa what i have to do.

thanks a lot …

Thank you very much, This is really helpful!