GRE argument practice

Hello everyone, nice to meet you. I’m a graduate student from Taiwan, and I’m preparing my GRE test recently. I will be so grateful if you’re willing to spend some time reading my essay and give me some feedback, and help me score it if possible. Thank you in advance!

The following is part of a memorandum from the president of Humana University.

“Last year the number of students who enrolled in online degree programs offered by nearby Omni University increased by 50 percent. During the same year, Omni showed a significant decrease from prior years in expenditures for dormitory and classroom space, most likely because online instruction takes place via the Internet. In contrast, over the past three years, enrollment at Humana University has failed to grow and the cost of maintaining buildings has increased. Thus, to increase enrollment and solve the problem of budget deficits at Humana University, we should initiate and actively promote online degree programs like those at Omni.”

Write a response in which you examine the stated and/or unstated assumptions of the argument. Be sure to explain how the argument depends on these assumptions and what the implications are for the argument if the assumptions prove unwarranted.

[My article]
The memorandum from the president of Humana University (HU) maintains that through initiating and promoting online degree programs like those at Omni University (OU), HU can not only increase enrollment, but solve the problem of budget deficits. The assertion seems to be valid at the first glance; nevertheless, due to some dubious evidences and presumptions, I can’t totally agree with it before more convincing facts are given.

To start with, the president assumes that the percentage of students at HU would increase similarly as OU after online instructions are adapted. However, he fails to consider the original number of students at both universities. It is possible that students at OU were far less than that at HU before last year, so 50% actually indicates an insatiable result if transformed into numbers. According, it’s not believable to lead to the conclusion that the percentage of students at HU would enhance before explaining the possibility mentioned above. To strengthen the evidence, the president should provide data about the true number of students at both schools.

Secondly, it is supposed that the cost of maintaining buildings at HU would decrease like that at OU after online instructions take place. Nonetheless, the current condition of the hardware is neglected. There remains possibility that the dormitory and classroom are still quite new at OU , while those at HU have been too old and dangerous to accommodate students. Under this circumstance, HU would still have to face the expenditure of maintaining the buildings even if the online instruction is launched. Thus, whether the expense would consequently decrease remains skeptical. The condition of the buildings should be carefully evaluated before processing to the conclusion.

Additionally, the president presupposes that the failure to grow enrollment at HU during the past three years is primary attributed to the way of taking courses. Teaching quality at both college, on the other hand, is overlooked. Perhaps OU has introduced more famous and outstanding teachers to provide courses online, and the students are attracted because of them. If it’s the case, students would not be appealed to online courses at HU. Therefore, before reaching the conclusion, the president should understand more about the quality of courses in each school.

Admittedly, initiating and actively promoting online instructions might do benefit to the enrollment and help to solve the budget problems at HU. However, since the author fails to take the student numbers, the condition of buildings and the teaching quality into consideration, I don’ t agree that the conclusion is convincing unless he provide more precise information about the things mentioned above.

3 Likes

Hello @grace85516, welcome to our forum and thanks for sharing your essay. Please let us know what exactly you expect from us and what you are willing to give in return. I mean, you have registered on our forum without even saying hello or introducing yourself so how are we supposed to know what you want? Are you looking for a review similar to this one?

Regards,
Torsten

3 Likes

Thank you for your response, and I apologize for not introducing myself. I’ve added my self introduction at the top of my essay, and I look forward to getting some comments here.

Thank you,
Grace

4 Likes

Hello Grace, thanks a lot for at least making the effort to introduce yourself. I lived with a Chinese girl from Taiwan for a couple of years and learned to pronounce some words and phrases in Mandarin. I even visited Taipei and the south of the island. For past few years I’ve been fascinated by stories like these:

Let’s see if @tim_m will find the time to provide some professional assessment of your essay. @Andrea, maybe you can say hello to our new friend from the R.O.C. too?

3 Likes

Welcome to our forum, Grace! It’s lovely to have you here.

Thank you for sharing your writing piece. I understand your piece and you have valid points. There are many factors to consider for sure. Well done! Keep going :wink:

Take care, Andrea

2 Likes

Grace, why are preparing for the GRE? Why not study online using courses from Udemy or other resources? For example, @Sumejja got an online certificate in Blockchain technologies from an online university and earns now money as a freelance journalist and writer.

1 Like

Just checking in to confirm what @Torsten said - if you are interested in blockchain, the University of California, Berkeley offers online courses with verified certificates (that you pay for). Even if you decide you don’t want to pay, you can still do the course for free, you just don’t receive the certificate. Regardless of what you decide to do, good luck! And if you have any questions about the courses, please feel free to reach out to me!

2 Likes

Hello, @grace85516 . Thanks for submitting your essay to us. It seems your English is quite strong based off of what I read. My best tips for you here are similar to the ones I gave in another thread. Your response seems to miss the heart of the question, however slightly. Below I’ve outlined, in my opinion, the assumptions of the text that need analyzed:

1. “Last year the number of students who enrolled in online degree programs offered by nearby Omni University increased by 50 percent. [stated]

2. During the same year, Omni showed a significant decrease from prior years in expenditures for dormitory and classroom space, most likely because online instruction takes place via the Internet. [stated]

3. In contrast, over the past three years, enrollment at Humana University has failed to grow and the cost of maintaining buildings has increased. [stated]

4. Enrollment at HU has decreased because there is a lack of online courses offered/promoted. [unstated]

5. Building maintenance costs at HU has increased because there is a lack of online courses offered/promoted. [unstated]

6. OU offers, and/or actively promotes, an online degree program superior to HU. [unstated]

1. Thus, to increase enrollment and solve the problem of budget deficits at Humana University, we should initiate and actively promote online degree programs like those at Omni.” [stated]

Outlining these is a coherent manner is a good way to address the first task:

1. examine the stated and/or unstated assumptions of the argument

Next, it’s your job to take on the final two tasks:

1. explain how the argument depends on these assumptions and
  2. what the implications are for the argument if the assumptions prove unwarranted.

The prompt seems to be directing you to look more deeply at the assumptions, especially the unstated ones, made by the president in the memo and assessing the problems that would arise if those assumptions were wrong. I suggest you focus more time here. After that, it may be appropriate to offer alternative facts/scenarios

when addressing task 3. You can see another analysis of a similar GRE essay linked to above in @Torsten’s post. Good luck.

2 Likes

@tim_m, thank you so much for taking the time to create this detailed response. I’m sure your efforts will pay off since the ‘law of increasing returns’ by Napoleon Hill always applies.

2 Likes