GRE argument#1 (please score this essay and give me any feedback)

Hi! I am a student who are preparing for GRE, and happen to find this spectacular homepage.
I was wondering what my GRE writing score would be, so I posted my responses to the GRE question below. Since I speak English as a second language and don’t have many writing experiences, my essay would be somewhat laughable. Please excuse for my poor English level, and all of you are welcome to give any harsh feedbacks and score(0~6, which is same scale as actual GRE test)to me.
Thank you

Q)Woven baskets characterized by a particular distinctive pattern have previously been found only in the immediate vicinity of the prehistoric village of Palea and therefore were believed to have been made only by the Palean people. Recently, however, archaeologists discovered such a “Palean” basket in Lithos, an ancient village across the Brim River from Palea. The Brim River is very deep and broad, and so the ancient Paleans could have crossed it only by boat, and no Palean boats have been found. Thus it follows that the so-called Palean baskets were not uniquely Palean.

Write a response in which you discuss what specific evidence is needed to evaluate the argument and explain how the evidence would weaken or strengthen the argument.

A)
It is plausible that the baskets found in Palea and Lithos are not the same and unique at the first glance. However, when go deep inside of this issue, we can find many fallacies existing in the aruguments, and we can contend that baskets are originated from Palea.

The author asserts that they could not find the trace of the boat, and it is absurd to reason this fact to argue. This is because the remain of it could be ephemeral, which means that it could be lasted for very short time. Natural phenomenon like wind, for instance, had possibly flew away its debris. And since the boats are made of woods, it probably got rotten, and mixed up with the grounds that we are unable to discern it from the soil. Hence, it is highly likely that Paleans used boats as a mean to communicate with their neighbors and brought baskets with them, so it is unwise to think that the baskets found in both places are disparate.

Some may still argue that since ships traces are no where to be found, so the baskets are not originated from Palea. However, they could have walked from area to area. The writer told us that the Brim river “is” deep and broad, but he/she did not suggests that its condition at the past. There can be a chance that the river was shallow or even barren. There are numerous examples that are similar like Indians moving Berring strait when it was walkable. The path they were walking on was covered with ice, and frozen, so they could emigrate to American continent. This fact was convinced by the archaic instruments they probably carried during their migration. Therefore, if we can find any evidences in the river, we can convincingly say that they probably could move from place to place and Palea gave them the baskets.

Lastly, it is possible that people from Palea and Lithos are same. We can even assume that Palea people are the descendants of the Lithos, and this surely refutes the assertion that Palea baskets are not the unique one; actually they can be same one and originated from Lithos.

Due to the above reasons, it is probable that baskets found in the area are native to Palea: the fact that the trace probably disappeared because of natural phenomenon, the situation of the Brim river can be different story from the present, and Lithos and Palea are the same people.

2 Likes