Grades (marks) encourage students to learn

Good evening kitos,
Could I ask you something, I heard that the Independent Writing essay should contain as closes to 500 worlds to earn high scores. Is it true? Thank you…

Nowadays, education plays an important role in our life. Many schools and universities have many methods to encourage their students. Some people believe that students were encouraged by grades. However, others would disagree with this statement. As far as I concern, I agree with that grade is one of the method to encourage students to study.
The main reason is that it measures student’s ability. It tells the student that they understand the subject well or not. For example, when I was in school, I attended the Statistic for Economic class. After class, I strongly thought that I understood this subject very well. However, I got only a C after the exam, while others got B and A. So, I could be realized that I was misunderstood, and I had to improve myself. After that class, I studied much harder, and I never get a low grade anymore. As you can see, Grade C has encouraged me to learn and pay more attention to the class.
Another reason is that grades can be a guideline for students. Students are able to know that which area of knowledge they done well. For instance, when I was in a high school, I studied in a history class. I tried to pay my attention to the class, but I cannot remember much information discussed in the class. Finally, although, I tried much to learn it, I got only a B. Consequently, I knew that I am not going to be a historian.
However, a lot of individuals may argue that grades or marks are not the best way to incite students to learn. This statement is probably true, but it is still one of many methods to help students to learn. No one can deny that grades or marks have done their jobs very well until now.
In conclusion, though some persons may contradict that grades do not stimulate students well, I still hold my position that grades should be used to encourage students. Not only will grades measure the students’s ability, but also they will be a guideline for students. I would suggest that every school should continually use this method along with the others to encourage their students.

TOEFL listening lectures: A lecture by a professor of Art

1 Like

Good evening kitos,
Could I ask you something, I heard that the Independent Writing essay should contain as closes to 500 worlds to earn high scores. Is it true? Thank you…

Nowadays, education plays an important role in our LIVES. Many schools and universities have many methods to encourage their students. Some people believe that students ARE encouraged by grades. However, others would disagree with this statement. As far as I concern, I agree with that gradeS ARE one of the BEST methodS IN encouragING students to study.
The main reason is that it measures A student’s ability. It tells the student WHETHER they understOOD the subject well or not. For example, when I was in school, I attended the StatisticS for EconomicS class. After class, I strongly thought that I understood this subject very well. However, I got only a C after the exam, while others got B and A. So, I could be realized that I was HAD misunderstood, and I had to improve myself. After that class, I studied much harder, and I never get a low grade any-more. As you can see, Grade C has encouraged me to learn and pay more attention IN the class.

Another reason is that grades can be a guideline for students. Students are able to know that IN which area of knowledge they HAVE done well. For instance, when I was in a high school, I studied in a history class. I tried to pay my attention to the class, but I cannot remember much information discussed in the class. Finally, although, I tried much HARD to learn it, I got only a B. Consequently, I knew that I am not going to be aN historian.
However, a lot of individuals may argue that grades or marks are not the best way to incite students to learn. This statement is probably true, but it is still one of many methods to help students to learn. No one can deny that grades or marks have done their jobs very well until now.
In conclusion, though some persons may contradict that grades do not stimulate students well, I still hold my position that grades should be used to encourage students. Not only will grades measure the students ability, but also they will be a guideline for students. I would suggest that every school should continually use this method along with the others to encourage their students.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Good punctuation Omo, but a general lack of correct vocabulary. You need to read more.

Kitos. 8.5/10

1 Like

Thanks… I will read more.

Being encouraged is an indispensable need for people all over the world. Especially in modern societies, life without having good feelings is absolutely absurd. As for the question on this topic, there is a controversy between those who are in the favor of trying hard for making good grades and those who do not want to do so. Both sides have their own reasons for holding their views. As for me, I believe that Grades can cause to encourage students to learn better than exams without grades. I hold this opinion for two reasons, which I will explain in more detail in the following essay.
The first reason to consider is that when students take an exam, they can evaluate themselves just by their grades. To be more specific, they can find their weaknesses or strengths. It would lead them to progress in their courses. My personal experience is a compelling example of this. During the pandemic conditions in 2020, I had to stay at home and proceed with my course stuff in a self-study manner. Therefore, there was no teacher to help me in my lessons. While we had exams, I evaluate myself just by my grades. If I had not received marks, I would not have been encouraged to learn more.
The other equally significant reason worth mentioning is that grades can create competition between students. They try hard to be better than their friends. So this would be a good motivation for learning. However, students can’t try hard for learning course materials without receiving grades. There is a proverb saying in Persian that “life without competition is hard”. So in my eyes, learning without competition is not enjoyable and would be harder.
To sum up, by taking into account all of the above-mentioned reasons and examples, I firmly approve of grades are essential for learning and it is more reasonable for students to get grades not only to process their course material but also to have motivation for studying.

1 Like

Feeling good is an essential need for people all over the world. Especially in modern societies, life without good feelings is absolutely absurd. As for this question, there is a controversy between those who are in favour of working hard to get good grades and those who are not. Both sides have their own reasons for their views. As for me, I believe that grades can encourage students to learn better than exams without grades. I hold this view for two reasons, which I will explain in more detail in the following essay.
The first reason is that when students take an exam, they can evaluate themselves by their grades alone. More specifically, they can find out their weaknesses or strengths. This would lead them to progress in their courses. My personal experience is a compelling example of this. During the pandemic in the year 2020, I had to stay at home and do my coursework on my own. So there was no teacher to help me with my lessons. While we had exams, I only measured myself by my grades. If I did not get grades, I would not have been encouraged to study more.
The other equally important reason is that grades can create competition between students. They try to do better than their friends. So this would be a good motivation for learning. However, students can’t work hard to learn the course material if they don’t get grades. There is a saying in Persian that “life without competition is hard”. So in my eyes, learning without competition is not fun and would be harder.
To sum up, taking into account all the above reasons and examples, I strongly agree that grades are essential for learning and it is more reasonable for students to get grades not only to process their course material but also to have motivation to study.

1 Like