Goodnight, everybody!

Goodnight, everybody!

Is the comma optional?

Thanks

2 Likes

Yes, the comma is optional and I would not use one here.

1 Like

Since the greeting is always addressed to someone, I would use the comma; in fact I use it.

3 Likes

Yes, it’s optional :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am confused as to why there are two answers. Torsten and BeHappy say it is optional, but Anglophile’s reply is the comma is necessary.

2 Likes

As we have established many times there are no hard rules when it comes to using commas in English. There are only style guides and broadsheets who might provide some guidance and navigation.

2 Likes

Worth remembering that a comma can be crucial. Just look at this -

Have you eaten, Granny?

Now what would that mean if you omitted the comma?
Poor Granny!!!
And that is similar to the sentence in question.

5 Likes

Hi Alan, I think there is fundamental difference in both phrases. One is a question that includes a verb which depending on the comma is either followed by an object or an address while the second is just a salutation.

1 Like

Yes, Torsten, of course you are absolutely right that my comparison isn’t valid. On the use of the comma in the sentence offered, I would use the comma if the speaker is making the point that the wish is intended for everybody. and not just for George, Mary, Alice and so on. Perhaps it is a very fine point!

2 Likes

I get your point, Alan. But what about if you use the phrase as the closing of a written note, message or email?

For example:

Hi folks, thanks again for all your great work. Now it’s time to take a break so goodnight everybody, Michael.

1 Like