Get U.S. companies out of the health care business and Medicare out of payroll taxes

Hello everyone,

From the book Thank You for Being Late by Thomas Friedman.

Mother Nature has no problem being to the left of the left and to the right of the right at the same time. Whatever should coevolve must coevolve. Here’s what I mean:

1. She would favor a single-payer universal health care system funded by a progressive value-added consumption tax (except on groceries and other necessities). The level of this tax would be annually adjusted to the cost of health care, so citizens could feel the connection between the cost of health care and the VAT they pay at the store. If a single-payer system can work for Canada, Australia, and Sweden and provide generally better health outcomes at lower prices, it can work for us, and it would get U.S. companies out of the health care business and Medicare out of payroll taxes.

I’m not sure I understand the highlighted part. Does it mean that U.S. companies would stop participating in the health care business and payroll taxes wouldn’t be used to fund Medicare (if this system would be used in the USA)?

Thank you.

3 Likes

Right again. ‘Get out of’. simply means ‘be free from’ or ‘not involved in any longer’.

3 Likes