Gather

This would usually be understood as meaning “It has gone”.

It’s gone could mean=
a.)-it has gone
b.)-it is gone

a.)if ‘gone’ is an past participle and a verbal form it means:
-It has gone

b.)if ‘gone’ is an adjective it means the next.
It is gone = it isn’t here any more

Bye.

If you generally doubt me, look at this video.

youtube.com/watch?v=hgcTRJC8cxE

I don’t dispute that it could mean either. What I said was that, in the example you gave, it would usually be understood as meaning “It has gone”. However, this may be open to debate.

[afterthought] I think one of the difficulties with this is that, in conversation, the contraction “it’s” is almost invariably used. People almost never say “it is gone” or “it has gone”. Therefore, speakers may not even be clear themselves which one they mean.

Its title was:

It’s GONE redefining vanish

Do you understand what it means only you have to read it if you didn’t watch the video.

I watched a part of the video and heard that he said “it’s gone”, that’s all. “It’s GONE redefining vanish” doesn’t make sense to me.

Dozy,

I don’t know why just me you picked me on from among more than 50 000 people. I don’t want to learn English in this way, you could be happy because I must admit I give up. Learning English would be a happy activity for me and your letters cause me a nervous stomach.

If I find something what I would like to prove the truth what I said you say:"I watched a part of the video and heard that he said “it’s gone”, that’s all. “It’s GONE redefining vanish” doesn’t make sense to me. So I say to you what he said.

Do you know the novel: Gone with the wind. This title means something similar.

or Avril Lavigne’s the song:
"When you’re gone …"she sang about he walked out on her.

If you don’t know to speak to me normally, please don’t write me.

Many thanks.
Kati Svaby

I think we’re talking about two different videos. I give up … I’m too confused.

Why you say that we speak about two different videos? You said after the second video what I sent to you. This means to me that you should know what I wanted to show to you.
Your answer:“I watched a part of the video and heard that he said “it’s gone”, that’s all. “It’s GONE redefining vanish” doesn’t make sense to me.”

This was the first video, it wasn’t a didactic video. The first was a magician who could be vanish a coin. And we could hear. "How is it gone? " “It’s gone!” etc

I spoke about the secondary video which would have been a grammar video, what would have proved what I had tried to explain to you perhaps better than me. But you didn’t watch this.

PEACE.

Kati, since I no longer understand what we are arguing about, let me try to clarify. I have never disagreed that “gone” can behave as an adjective in the sense of “not present”. I first mentioned this way back in post #36. You later posted a video in which a magician says “It’s gone”, apparently as an example of adjectival “gone”. Originally I stated the opinion that this particular example would usually be understood to mean “It has gone”. Subsequently I backtracked slightly on that opinion, saying that it was debatable or ambiguous. That is where we stand. No dispute that “gone” can be adjectival in the sense of “not present”; uncertainty about whether it is actually adjectival when the magician says “It’s gone”.

Hello Dozy,

Okay. I don’t want to dispute about this. You think that the magician said a present perfect I am convinced that he said and the people also said ‘the coin is gone’, or ‘it was gone’ and I think ( I am sorry) that it is an adjectival sentence ( where ‘gone’ isn’t a past part. but an adjective I am convinced that it means ‘it vanished’ -figuratively: it is “dead” than the film explain this expression.)

It seems to me we are both very stubborn.

So I say again PEACE and it is only matter of time.

Once we’ll speak about this again when we settled this in ourselves.

Best wishes:
Kati

One of the problems with diagnosing “it’s gone” in the magician example is that people rarely say “it is gone” or “it has gone” in conversation, so it’s hard to gauge which feels more natural. I believe a better route may be to look at the situation with two or more coins. Would one say “they’re gone” or “they’ve gone”? For me, these are both possible, and I have a problem deciding which to favour. Therefore, by analogy, “it’s gone” in the magician case seems just as likely to mean “it has gone” as “it is gone”. I also maintain that native speakers may not even have a clear idea of which they mean in such cases.

My answer isn’t grammar. You need your empathy.

You are going in the street. You see also this magician who knows a new method to vanish a coin in a short-sleeved shirt,with his opened arms.

You can’t imagine the ‘how’. Everybody gapes in astonishment, are amazed, they couldn’t believe his eyes he can’t speak only they are mumbling : It’s gone and his face shows: It’s incredible. How the hell have you done? Their murmuring means I can’t understand how. It’s hard to fathom it. We are mystified. It is beyond us. In this situation you can say? It has gone?

No! These people you could say: It is gone.( or It vanished into the thin air/ It made itself scarce/ it went up in smoke/It came to nothing etc.)

As I think I mentioned, in conversation the contraction is almost always used. “It has gone” would not be usual.