Gammar, is important?

Someone think grammer is important to us to use English.
But I think Using English in the life is more necessary.
Can you help me to solve this problem? 8)

Hi, Ray!

Of course, grammar is important. You have to know the basic constructions of a language in order to use it correctly, otherwise you will not be able to.
Both the use of English in ‘life’ as you call it and grammar are significant and both have to be practised.

Sunny

I can’t think of a good reason for why you should pay attention to grammar. It may seem that if the communication is good then you don’t need to care about anything else.

But let’s not underestimate the good speaking and the good writing, words are still a good way of communicating ideas and feelings. Some say that thinking is closely connected to speaking, and that if you don’t know how to speak, then you can’t think properly. Well, I don’t know much about it, and maybe they exaggerate, but I don’t like the way some people despise the correct speaking.

As for the writing, for many centuries being able to read and write was very important for getting a good job. Do you really want to leave the knowledge of writing to an elite? In so a visual culture as ours it may seem that words are not that important, but I feel that this kind of thinking is a trap.

I’m sorry. As I said before, I can’t give you a good reason to defend my way of thinking. Could anyone give me a hand?

When you learnt your own language, your parents didn’t sit you down with a grammar book. Why should things be any different learning a foreign language? I speak five languages and apart from some awful French grammar lessons at school, I’ve never bothered with learning grammar. As you learn to communicate you can pick up the grammar naturally - and far more enjoyably, than sitting for hours with a copy of Raymond Murphy.
Jeremy