From Michael Swan: As is well known...

Hi

M. Swan suggests that it is not required in the given sentences:

1- They lost money, as (it) was expected.
2- The train may be late, as (it) happened yesterday.
3- As (it) is well known…
4- As (it) is in your knowledge that a new campus is…

I would like to know if it is wrong to put it here or there is also a difference of opinion somewhere! Secondly, he does not deal with this topic in detail. Look at the given sentence please.

1- The train may be late, as (it) was yesterday.

What about this one? Even it is wrong here?

Tom

Hi Tom

In the first 3 Swan examples, adding the word it would sound very strange. I’d never even consider adding it.

The 4th Swan example sounds strange to me both with and without it. :lol:

In your example, omitting the word it would result in your sentence meaning that yesterday was late (rather than the train). :shock:

Amy

Yes, it may, because it is my own creation! :shock:

Amy, If you are writing a formal letter to your director about something which he already knows, how would you start that?

1- As (it) is in your knowledge…
2- As you already know…([color=red]does it sound formal???)

I would request for a few more sentences where a subject is not required after AS. My concept is still not 100% clear.

Tom

• As feared, my attempt to explain my point of view to her was a waste of time and energy. (In this sentence, the word I has been omitted and is optional)

• As was feared by many involved, the so-called solution only made matters worse. (I would never consider adding it in this sentence.)

• As is frequently the case, Tom had a follow-up question. (I would never consider adding it in this sentence.)

• That sentence, as currently written, is very misleading. (The words it is are optional and can be added here.)

Does that help, Tom?

Amy :smiley:

Yes, Amy, it does! :smiley: :lol:

Tom