Form of other

In 1945, the USA dropped two atomic bombs on Japan, one on the city of Hiroshima and another, three days later, on the city of Nagasaki. The bombs instantly killed at least 120,000 men, women and children and caused severe injuries in tens of thousands more. Over time, the total death toll rose to perhaps 240,000. The USA excused their use of nuclear weapons of mass destruction (WMD) on civilians as necessary to force Japan’s unconditional surrender at the end of World War II.

Can I use the other in lieu of the word in bold in the passage?

Thanks

I believe you could find an answer here: english-test.net/forum/ftopic6280.html

Both versions are possible in this context.
Personally, I’d prefer ‘the other’.

You mean it’s a up-to-you-to-choose case, Bev?
Then I would go in Mr. Micawber’s/Webster’s corner and stay with the original.

The context for this sentence is not the same as that in the link you posted, Eugene.
Here, the person is very clearly writing about two items.
If you apply Mister Micawber’s answer in #2 of that thread , you will see that logically ‘the other’ is what should be applied.
However, HamburgEnglish’s post at #15 in that thread clarifies that ‘another’ can apply when talking about one more of the same thing (which is why ‘another’ can apply here).

Pointing to the link I meant it could be helpful when deciding which way to jump dealing with other/another dilemma, Bev.
For me, the #2:” Just like a/an and the: previous mention or specificity.

I broke my pencil; give me another (= any other among several).”, #9: “And this is from the on-line Merriam-Webster dictionary:

other: 1 a: being the one (as of two or more) remaining or not included b: being the one or ones distinct from that or those first mentioned or implied ”
And #15:” Other - a different thing
Another - one more of the same thing.”-- give you quite enough to stay with the original version (’one more of the same thing’ = the bomb like previously mentioned/used, not different one). For my non-native untrained ear, ‘another’ just sounds better.
Still as you observed, either of the two could be used in the context…
Respect.

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Foreigner:

1. You probably know this, but look carefully at the word “another.”

a. You see that it consists of two words: “an” (one) + “other.”

You: I want a donut, please.
Clerk: Here you are, sir.
You: I don’t like this one. May I have another?
You: I don’t like this one, either. May I have another?
You: I don’t like this one, either. May I have another?

ETC.

In case of that historical event, we know that there were only TWO bombs that were dropped. (In fact, your paragraph says that TWO bombs were dropped.)

Student: May I have a pencil?
Teacher: I have two pencils. I will give you the red one.
Student: I don’t like red. Can I have THE OTHER (pencil)?
Teacher: No, problem.

I, too, would feel more comfortable using “the other” in your paragraph.

I would use “another” only if three or more bombs had been dropped:

A bomb was dropped on X; another on Y; and the last one on Z.

James

In the above context, you need to be comfortable with the fact that ‘one’ is ommitted:
… the USA dropped two atomic bombs on Japan, one on the city of Hiroshima and another (one) , three days later …