Flooding disaster

Torsten,
Best wishes for a speedy recovery from the awful flooding we see daily on TV in Germany.

4 Likes

Hi Alan, thanks a lot for your support. I’m afraid this won’t be the last time people are suffering from catastrophic events like the current flooding in parts of Belgium, Germany and the Netherlands. Too many people are resistant to the results of scientific research. By the way, I hope @Masme, you are safe and sound over there in Belgium?

4 Likes

Absolutely, because I live in a town in ‘De Kempen’ which is located atone of the highest points in Belgium. The flooding is absolutely devastating for people who live in those flooded parts. I really feel for them. They’ve lost their homes. Over here, the goverment is doing everything they can to help those unfortunate people, but this morning at 09.00 am three trucks with food and other things left for the regions where the disaster took place. Admirable!

3 Likes

Now, the floods have reached Austria.

https://twitter.com/_dmoser/status/1416511712518414338

2 Likes

Indeed, ‘No place is safe any more’. So it seems. Scientists have been warning us about global warming for many years…We took our planet and its beauty for granted…this is the result. Covid, floods, earthquakes, hurricanes, I wonder what next? I don’t know what I can say, only that there cannot and will not be ‘a normal world’ after all this. It is simply impossible. I don’t wish to frighten people, but that’s the way, I feel, it is. My thoughts are with all those who’ve lost their lives and those who are trying to survive in the disaster areas. I may live at one of the highest points in Belgium, but that doesn’t rule out that something like that or worse could happen over here as well.

5 Likes

Torsten, I join Alan in wishing you and Masme a very speedy recovery from the distressing situation your people are placed in. Keep us updated.

3 Likes

@Torsten and @Masme

Thinking of you both and your countries. I’ve seen the devastation and it’s terribly sad. Take care of yourselves!

Andrea

3 Likes

Thanks a lot for your sympathy and support, Andrea. For decades the science has been crystal clear on the issue of climate change but we have chosen to ignore all warnings and have not changed our economic system which has been the main cause of the extreme weather events we have been facing recently. Unfortunately, this is only the beginning.

3 Likes

Yes, we can definitely see changes in the weather everywhere! Extreme weather events are very scary indeed and we never know when it will happen. Maybe now people will take note about these warnings.

3 Likes

Well, most people are not interested in this kind of topic because they can’t relate to it. They fail to make the connection between economic activity and climate change because it requires a certain level of abstraction and basic scientific understanding. Here is a good source to learn the basics of climate change.

3 Likes

That’s very kind of you, Andrea.

3 Likes

That’s very kind of you, Anglophile.

3 Likes

I completely agree with you Torsten. However, I think what we’re dealing with now is just part of the beginning that started three years ago, forest fires in California and Australia, floods in Spain, etc… Some people tell me that they think that mother nature is taking revenge, however, I think she is just restoring herself. We’re moving towards another age and it may go faster than we realize.

3 Likes