Firm discipline is a necessary part of teaching children?

The issue of using firm discipline in educating children has always been a hotly debated topic. Some people agree that teachers should use strict punishments in teaching students, while others hold a strong belief that applying firm discipline on students is not a good idea. From my perspective, I find the latter more reasonable due to these following reasons.

Admittedly, strict upbringing often is accompanied by stern disciplines, and sometimes this is proved very necessary to educate children in particular circumstances. For example, to treat noisy and disobedient boys in the classroom, some teachers often make use of discipline by letting them out of the classroom, forcing them to a separate room, or even letting them have a long day-off. However, if we simply let them out of the class after one or two warnings, we are limiting their educational opportunities, since it seems to me that a school which caters for mischievous students is sort of “prison” what ever name you give it. Moreover, if we apply strict discipline frequently, it is very harmful to the children’s mental thinking and health, especially it would embed in their memories a bad image. Hence, they will find it hard to recover from this bad experience and being more immature and inactive in the long run.

Furthermore, although using discipline is demonstrated necessary in some particular situations, it seems to me that we are lacking good teaching methods. Plus, there are many useful ways to teach children instead of applying strict treatments. Why do we just consider firm discipline a first and necessary way in education our children? Perhaps, we need to scrutinize the reasons why disobedient students behave inappropriately before we apply discipline to educate them. In essence, disruptive students may be very intelligent and find the classes boring because the tasks are too easy for them, or perhaps, teachers are uninspiring. This might result in improper behavioral problems. Undoubtedly, children’s bad behaviors are rooted from the inappropriate ways we educate them. Therefore, firm discipline is becoming more unnecessary than ever.

In general, I think we should focus on the way we teach children, whether it is good or bad. There are many useful methods for us to utilize in educating them, and firm discipline is considered a final choice.

Talent is the God given-Be Humble!
Fame is man given-Be thankful!
Conceit is self given-Be careful!
-John Wooden-

TOEFL listening lectures: Which aspect of bee behavior does the professor mainly discuss?

Dear You!
Could you do me a favor?
hihi. I love to see your edit in my essay. Thanks a lot!
Education for children is not a simple task. Some people argue that firm discipline is effective to form children’s good behaviors while others claim that this methodology can be conducive to undesirable drawbacks. I totally agree with the former.
First, opponents believe that the existence of firm discipline can adversely affect children’s growth. It is likely that so scared for those punishment can children feel less confident and more passive in thinking and action. However, it is undeniable that no sooner do children instill the lessons when they make mistakes than they deeply remember their own mistakes, become more responsible for them and learn good habits such punctual and obedience. Moreover, there goes a saying “rule is learned to be broken”, which means only when children follow the rule can they learn their limitations and creatively break them up. In a word, children can form positive behaviors by virtue of strict penalty.
Second, this education methodology, to some believe, is conducive to children’s involvement in social evils. It is partly true that there is a gap between parents and children which is the obstacle in this relationship. Therefore, it is due to firm discipline’s contribution that relationship worsens. Facts have shown that some kids, especially puberty which is of rebellious and big-egos, can loss the belief in their parents when they feel no one support them instead of strict punishments. Nevertheless, I am of the belief that only in the minutes like that do children need to have their parents’ in time and decisive impacts in order to prevent them from evils. Reality has shown that so overindulge their kids may parents ruin them. Equally important, for teachers, nowhere can they manage their classes more effectively than in firm discipline environment. Another reason is that in these countries where firm discipline has been applied thoroughly as Japan and Korea have the lowest crime-rate and the highest numbers of self-awareness citizens. Put another way, it is highly likely that children can avoid far from social evils and give a birth to a foundation for a law-based society with classes have their rules without any involvement of strict penalty.
In conclusion, were firm disciplines to come true, there would be more benefits for children, families, schools and the social with children learning good self-awareness, behaviors, families being happier and social being better.