Few tests, need help.

I have an exam in next week, so if anyone can help me to find my mistakes and to correct them.

1. Try to put the right word in the blanks in these sentences.
    Words are ( Economy, economics, economise, economic,economical,economically,economist)

2. There are many _____ problems which we encounter every day - poverty, inflation, unemployment, etc.
    (Economic) ?

3. There is an old saying: “If two or three _____ are gathered together in one place, there you will find four or five options.”
    (Economist) ?

4. We need to ____ in order to keep cost at an acceptable level.
    (Economise) ?

5. The economic system of a country is usually called the national _______.
    (Economics)?

6. The study of _______ is of fundamental importance to the well-being of society.
    (Economy)?

7. We are looking for more ______ production methods.
    (Economical)?

8. If you want to save money for the old age, you must live very _______.
    (Economically)?

9. The prospect for the world ____ are very bleak at the moment.
    (Economy)

10. She doesn’t make a lot of money, but by various little ____ she has managed to buy herself a cottage in the countryside.
    No cluee…

11. _________ remain undecided about what action should be taken.
    (Economist)?

12. "________ is the only field in which two people can get a Nobel prize for saying the opposite thing.
    (Economy)?

13. It is unwise in the long run ___on quality.
    No clue.

14. The doubling of output can lead to _____ of scale up to 40%.
    No clue.

15. Present Simple vs Present Continuous.
    A. This is a joke which illustrates marginal analysis* at work.Read the joke and fill in the blanks with the suitable tense.

An economist and a forest ranger (HIKE) ___ trough the backcountry of Montana. Rounding a bend in the trail, they (COME) _____ upon a ferocious grizzly bear. The bear (ADVANCE) _____ on them, whereupon the economist (DROP)____ his backpack, (PULL) ____ out his jogging shoes, and (START)_____ to put them on in place of his hiking boots. The forest ranger (LOOK) ______ at the economist and (ASK) _______, in a confused tone, “Why you (DO) _____ that? The bear can easily outrun a man.” The economist calmly (REPLY ______, “I ( NOT HAVE ) _____ to outrun the bear. I just (HAVE TO) _____ outrun you!”.

My answer => are hiking, come, advanced , dropped , pulled, start, looked , asked, did, replied, don’t have, have to.

1. Present Simple Tense.
    A. Fill in the blanks in the text.

People ( SATISFY ) _____ their needs and wants with products. A product ( BE ) ____ anything that can be offered to a market to satisfy a need or a want. Usually, the word product ( SUGGEST ) _____ a physical product, such a car, a television set, or a bar of soap. However, the concept of product ( NOT BE ) ______ limited to physical objects - anything capable of satisfying a need can be called a product. The importance of physical goods ( LIE ) not so much in owning them as in the benefits they ( PROVIDE ) . We ( NOT BUY ) _____ food to look at, but because it (SATISFY)_ our hunger. We ( NOT BUY) ____ a microwave to admire, but because it (COOK) ____ our food.
satisfy, is, suggests, is not, lie, provide, do not buy, satisfies, do not buy, cooks

1. Correct form of the verb
    A. Put the verb s in brackets into the correct form
    ____ ( REFLECT ) the binary nature of economics as a ‘social’ ‘science’, two types of statements and questions ___ ( CAN/MAKE) . The first ____ ( INVOLVE ): What ____ (BE)? Such statements or questions ____ (CALL) “positive”, i.e they _____ ( INVOLVE) no value judgments.The second _____ (INVOLVE) : What ______(SHOULD/BE)? Such statements and questions ____ (CALL) 'normative", i.e they ____ (INVOLVE) a value judgment. For example, it ____(BE) a positive statement to sa y that more than 15% of Canadian families ____ (LIVE) in poverty. It ____ (BE) a normative statement to say we, for reasons of ‘equity’, _____(SHOULD/INCREASE) welfare allowances to help them.
    reflecting,can be made,involves,is,are called,involve,involves,should it be,called, involve, is, live, is, should increase.

Anyone??

All right, I’ll have a go!

1. There are many _____ problems which we encounter every day - poverty, inflation, unemployment, etc.
    (Economic) ? – I agree.

2. There is an old saying: “If two or three economists are gathered together in one place, there you will find four or five options.”
    (Economist) ?

3. We need to ____ in order to keep cost at an acceptable level.
    (Economise) ? – I agree.

4. The economic system of a country is usually called the national economy.
    (Economics)?

5. The study of economics is of fundamental importance to the well-being of society.
    (Economy)?

6. We are looking for more _____ production methods.
    (Economical)? – I agree.

7. If you want to save money for the old age, you must live very _______.
    (Economically)? – I agree.

8. The prospect for the world ____ are very bleak at the moment.
    (Economy) – I agree.

9. She doesn’t make a lot of money, but by various little economies she has managed to buy herself a cottage in the countryside.
    No cluee…

10. Economists remain undecided about what action should be taken.
    (Economist)?

11. "________ is the only field in which two people can get a Nobel prize for saying the opposite thing.
    (Economy)? – I agree.

12. It is unwise in the long run to economise on quality.
    No clue.

13. The doubling of output can lead to economies of scale up to 40%.
    No clue.

14. Present Simple vs Present Continuous.
    A. This is a joke which illustrates marginal analysis* at work.Read the joke and fill in the blanks with the suitable tense.

This one is tricky.

An economist and a forest ranger (HIKE) were hiking trough the backcountry of Montana. Rounding a bend in the trail, they (COME) come upon a ferocious grizzly bear. The bear (ADVANCE) advances on them, whereupon the economist (DROP) drops his backpack, (PULL) pulls out his jogging shoes, and (START) starts to put them on in place of his hiking boots. The forest ranger (LOOK) looks at the economist and (ASK) asks in a confused tone, “Why you (DO) are you doing that? The bear can easily outrun a man.” The economist calmly (REPLY) replied, “I ( NOT HAVE ) don’t have to outrun the bear. I just (HAVE TO) have to outrun you!”.

My answer => are hiking, come, advanced , dropped , pulled, start, looked , asked, did, replied, don’t have, have to.

1. Present Simple Tense.
    A. Fill in the blanks in the text.

People ( SATISFY ) _____ their needs and wants with products. A product ( BE ) ____ anything that can be offered to a market to satisfy a need or a want. Usually, the word product ( SUGGEST ) _____ a physical product, such as a car, a television set, or a bar of soap. However, the concept of product ( NOT BE ) ______ limited to physical objects - anything capable of satisfying a need can be called a product. The importance of physical goods ( LIE ) not so much in owning them as in the benefits they ( PROVIDE ) . We ( NOT BUY ) _____ food to look at (it?)i, but because it (SATISFY)_ our hunger. We ( NOT BUY) ____ a microwave to admire (it?), but because it (COOK) ____ our food.
satisfy, is, suggests, is not, lie lies, provide, do not buy, satisfies, do not buy, cooks

1. Correct form of the verb
    A. Put the verbs in brackets into the correct form
    ____ ( REFLECT ) the binary nature of economics as a ‘social’ ‘science’, two types of statements and questions ___ ( CAN/MAKE) . The first ____ ( INVOLVE ): What ____ (BE)? Such statements or questions ____ (CALL) “positive”, i.e they _____ ( INVOLVE) no value judgments.The second _____ (INVOLVE) : What ______(SHOULD/BE)? Such statements and questions ____ (CALL) 'normative", i.e they ____ (INVOLVE) a value judgment. For example, it ____(BE) a positive statement to say that more than 15% of Canadian families ____ (LIVE) in poverty. It ____ (BE) a normative statement to say we, for reasons of ‘equity’, _____(SHOULD/INCREASE) welfare allowances to help them.
    reflecting,can be made,involves,is it,are called,involve,involves,should it be,are called, involve, is, live, is, should increase.

Now we could do with a native speaker’s opinion. :slight_smile:

I forgot to put one ‘s’ on(at) the ending of word economist. Huh I am not that bad, thank you very much :* .
By the way, what is difference between “for an example” pulls=pulled, drops=dropped? Dropped is past tense? And Drops is present tense?
He dropped an apple few weeks ago, he drops apple ? Thanks in advance… :))

In exam we will have different type of questions, first it would be translation English-Serbian, Serbian-English, I am doing pretty fine there, next one would be, to match the right words with their synonyms, the third grammar, and fourth short essay. The only problem here is grammar. So I need to work a bit on that.
By the way, I hope you won’t mind if I put more questions here? :slight_smile:
I am quite sure I did this one without making mistakes.

Vocabulary practice note* don’t waste your time on first one, check the second.
A. Below is a list of words from the text. Mach them with their synonyms or explanations.

1. acquired 2) traded, 3 ) major 4) rapidly 5) comprehensive 6) vague 7) deprived 8) well-off 9) satiety 10) lured, 11) up-to-date 12) fundamental 13) core 14) ingredient
    a) thorough b) unclear c) exchanged d) not having things necessary for a happy living e) gained f) having enough money for a good standard of living g) element,component h) very important i) attracted,tempted j) centre k) in a very short time, quickly l) feeling of being fully satisfied m) essential, of great importance m) modern,fashionable
    1)e, 2)c , 3)h, 4)k , 5)a, 6)b, 7)d, 8)f, 9)l, 10)i, 11)n, 12)m, 13)j, 14)g

B. Below is a list of words from the text. Mach them with their synonyms or explanations. This one is harder.

1. customary 2) associate with 3) forgo 4) understate 5) sufficient 6) suitable for 7) abound 8) utilize 9) implements 10) regarded as 11) composed of 12) costly 13) numerous 14) inevitably 15) incur
    a) enough b) tools,instruments c) bring upon oneself d) right for the purpose e) considered f) made up of g) normal, usual h) many i) unavoidably j) connect k) make smth. seems less important l) do without, give up m) exist in great quantities n) expensive o) make use of

I need help here, I know where to put half words, but other half no clue, first time to hear for words ‘forgo’,‘utilize’,‘incur’,‘abound’. =|

Yes.

You should try yourself first, otherwise you will learn nothing… All right, I’ll give you my take on this… just this once… :slight_smile:

1. customary – g) normal, usual
  2. associate with – j) connect
  3. forgo – l) do without, give up
  4. understate – k) make smth. seems less important
  5. sufficient – a) enough
  6. suitable for – d) right for the purpose
  7. abound – m) exist in great quantities
  8. utilize – o) make use of
  9. implements – b) tools,instruments
  10. regarded as – e) considered
  11. composed of – f) made up of
  12. costly – n) expensive
  13. numerous – h) many
  14. inevitably – i) unavoidably
  15. incur – c) bring upon oneself

As I said, number 2 is tricky – I am not sure about it.

Since it is a joke, I thought it could be narrated in Present Tense (the so called Historical Present)-- it somehow feels right.
Normally, the Past Tense is used to report a completed event – not the Present Tense.

Ok, I don’t want to bother you anymore… :slight_smile: Thanks.
I thought for word abound we can say many as well,but it seems numerous fit better.

All hail Crisina.ro! :wink:

Number 2 is a very poor question, because there are two perfectly acceptable tenses. Present tense and past tense could both be used.

Hail Cristina.ro ! :smiley: