Feedback on audio recording (6 Passive Voice or Haunted)

please i rely don’t understand the meaning of passive sentence, can you please explain it more to me please

Thank you, Torsen, I like this kind of audio lessons.

What a fantastic story!!! My big thanks for it,Alan!!! You are great!!! My best regards to U!!!

It’s the first time send a message.

It’s a very interesting story. I almost believed he had seen the walking stick lady but when he said they had played cards together I was really dissapointed 'cause then I knew he wasn’t telling the truth.

I have some true stories about my aunt’s haunted house. That’s why I was so interested. It reminds me my childhood. ( Can I say that “It reminds me my childhood” or am I just translating portuguese into English?
I’m sure I’ll improve my English now that I got to you “english-test.net
Many thanks,
Maristela

But anyway

hey dear!!
thanks alot for posting this… you dont know that i always feel confusing in passive voice
… now i can get help in your post easily…
god bless you…
thanks
i hope you will same in future.

In passive when the by sentece is important.

very funny

Wow! What a brillinat way to teach!
Thanks.

Hello I just read and listened to the recording of this story and liked how it used the passive. I am confused by this sentence though, which wasn’t fully read in the recording either:

“You see it depended on the way &laquomade an appearance» is interepreted.”

What should it really read, the entire sentence?
Thank you very much in advance!
/Andy

Hi, everybody, the audio is very good. Congratulations! But I like to download the file to hear it some times more. So, is it possible? Thanks.

Hi Torsten,
"We got on like a house on fire " -What is it in the context?
Thanks.

We got on really well together - it’s idiomatic.

Respected Torsten sir
This is Neelam from India,your one year old student. Sir! I have been practicing regularly. Please clarify my doubts about Passive voice (said to-be,said to have been). I would be grateful to you.

Hi Torsen, i am fully absolved in the story so i couldn’t observe the italic words. For the second time when I went through it I noticed them. Thank You, it it nice to learn in this way. Vidyullata

hi Alan!

Im sorry i cannot download the mp3 for haunted passive audio. can you help me?

Hello,

Learning English -Moving words ( from BBC)

Anton Chekhov

“Don’t tell me the moon is shining;show me the glint of light on broken glass.”

Anton Chekhov’s plays and stories reflect a comic satire and point out the nature of existence in turn-of-the-century Russia. His style was best described by the poet himself:

“All I wanted to say honestly to people: Have a look at yourselves and see how bad and dreary your lives are!” The important thing is that people should realize that, for when they will most certainly create another and better life for themselves."

( Chekhov is the short story writer’s short story writer. As the author of over 600 examples, his influence on the modern form is without equal. When 25 noted authors were asked to name the most crucial influences on their own work, Chekhov was cited by 10 of them, including Eudora Welty, Nadine Gordimer, and Raymond Carver. He received double the nominations of any other writer.)

Our Expert says…

Our resident language expert, Professor David Crystal, explains why Chekhov’s words are so memorable.

FACTOIDS ON CHEKHOV

The premiere of The Seagull was such disaster that he declared “not if I live to be 700 will I write another play .”

As a student he wore makeup, spectacles or a fake beard so he illegaly could gain access to the local theatre

Qualified as a physician in 1884

Contracted tuberculosis from a patient and died 1904

There is a crater on the planet Mercury named after him

Antron Pavlovich Chekhov was a major Russian writer known primarily for his short stories and plays. A number of his works have had a great impact on dramatic literature and performance.

Chekhov is better known in modern-day Russia for his several hundred short stories, many of which are considered masterpieces of the form. Yet his plays are also major influences on Twentieth Century drama. Following in the tradition of Chekhov, many contemporary playwrights have learned how to use mood, apparent trivialities and inaction to highlight the internal psychology of their characters. His four major plays - The Seagull, Uncle Vanya, and The Cherry Orchard - are frequently received in modern productions.

CHEKHOV ON MOVING WORDS

“Advertising is the essence of democracy”

“Let us learn to appreciate there will be times when the trees will be bare, and look forward to the time when we may pick the fruit.”

“The only difference between doctors and lawyers is that lawyers merely rob you, whereas doctors rob you and kill you, too.”

Kati Svaby

it is very good i m improving my knowledge with the help of it.
thank you sir

Hello Torsten,

When I have first read the “Haunted” I understood very difficultly. Whereas I have never had difficulty in doing or understanding the Passive Voice . It helped me that I used to learn Latin and French. But the English Passive Voice was unusual. In Hungarian if somebody uses Passive Voice they say that it is a Germanism. When I used to be a student and I wrote a Passive voice in my composition, the teacher corrected it and redrafted it into Active Voice.

Now I enjoyed much better your essay, the passiv voices were not any more unusual; this means that my English became a little better.

Hello,

Can I explain an idiom which was unknown to me.
harm (n) (U )
No harm was done

In Passive voice /present or present perfect

no harm was done = asked to tell sb. not to worry because they have caused no serious damage or injury.
-No harm done.
-It is all right. No one or nothing has been harmed.
-It’s okay. No harm done.
-A: I am sorry I stepped on your toe.
-B: No harm done.
-Tell tourself no harm’s been done. That a state of common will return." (state of common means about =But if “a state of calm” seems correct to you all, it must be this. )
Teacher’s explanation of state of common"Tell tourself no harm’s been done. That a state of common will return. Listen to birds you can hear. Hang up the phone. Put out cigarette. Don’t move. Close your eyes…"

Tourself didn’t mean oproblem to anybody only for me. What is tourself?
forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=49412

In Passive Voice/past

-The accident could have been much worse; luckily no harm was done.
-Well I did spend a lovely holiday there, they were very kind to me and no harm was done.

it is funny.