Feedback on audio recording (4 Articles, Charlie the Brave)

Hi Kati,

The problems are happening for everyone, not just for you! The entire website is currently being moved to a new server. The work started on the weekend. As a result, certain sections are temporarily unavailable.
Hopefully within a few days everything will be working normally again.

1 Like

Hi all of you

I really enjoyed reading the story ā€˜Chalrie the braveā€™ and have a question regarding ā€˜articlesā€™.
In this sentence ā€œOh, nothing to worry aboutā€, he said casually hoping that the terror could not be seen in his eyes, ā€œit was just a bat.ā€
I think Alan said that abstract words such as happiness, nature, and life and so on are not followed by articles. But, as I see here, the terror could not be seen in his eyes, abstract word ā€˜terrorā€™ is being followed by ā€˜theā€™! I really need someone to correct me.
Thanks in advance

1 Like

Dear Teacher

Could you tell me, please, if I can interchange ā€œthe twoā€ for ā€œthemā€ ?
For ehample: ā€œOne of the main differences between them is that Charlie has no imaginatinion ā€¦ā€

1 Like

You can do that as long as itā€™s clear that you are talking about two, not three/four/more.

All correct:
One of the main differences between them is that Charlie has no imagination.
One of the main differences between the two is that Charlie has no imagination.
One of the main differences between the two of them is that Charlie has no imagination.
One of the main differences between the pair of them is that Charlie has no imagination.

1 Like

Hi MR Torsten ,
I am really enjoyed the story very much , it was so easy for me to konw the different betwen the ( definite and indefinite articles ) in that way
thank you very much for your help but i am sorry i did nont catch you in this scentence .
What a fuss you may say and the brave among you may well regard such behaviour as pathetic
would you pleas explain it for me
thanks

Nermeenā€¦

It is somewhat hilarious!

Hi Alan,

In this story, I dare say there is a typo in the following sentence:

The brave among you may well regard such behaviour as pathetic.

As far as I remember the word such uses an a when the next word is in singular and the a is not used when the next word is in plural.

According to this, the sentence should say:

The brave among you may well regard such a behaviour as pathetic

Am I right? I will appreciate your comments about this.

Regards

Dear Torsten,
Thanks for the story. I like it! Although I donā€™t understand every word while listening but I find it very useful for my listening skills.
Best wishes,
Dina

very nice story. I like very much, I hope to improve my grammar reading stories like this.

Dear Alan
Itā€™s the woman dressed in black.
Why you wrote it. We can write it (she) or not.

Hello Alan,

Iā€™ve just read your lesson about articles,and Iā€™ve realized that sometimes the indefinite article ( a ) is being pronounced like (ey). I would like to know, if it is used only for emphasize that there is only one of one thing as yankee said.

Please tell me what do you think about this.

Maddy

That is not what Yankee said.

Use ā€˜aā€™ to refer to singular countable nouns when they do not refer to one specific thing.

Use ā€˜theā€™ if they refer to one specific thing.

Articles in English - Grammar | english.best?

1 Like

Hello Beesnees,

I didnā€™t want to ask about that. I made a wrong question. I would like to know your feedback about the pronunciation of the indefinite article (a) that is mostly pronounced like (ey). When I was in America I used to hear the article (a) pronounced like (ey)???

Thanks in advance,

Maddy

1 Like

I agree with Yankee.

1 Like

Hi,

In the normal run of things the indefinite article is pronounced as a schwa to indicate that it is indeed indefinite. Sometimes particularly in broadcasting people pronounce this indefinite article with emphasis so that it takes on the full ā€˜aā€™ sound. An example would be:

You have made a point there but it is a point that I disagree with.

Is that what you were asking about?

Alan

To Beesneees and Alan,

Many thanks.

Hi,

I today ihave listened the first listen it was the good experiece for me ,as you know english is not my mother tongue becase of that iam faceing writing ,speaking ,listening and understanding problems please give me guidness to improve these faults.

Thanks
Amna

Hi Iā€™m igal and I like the story Charlie the Brave
it is a funny story
and I like too the article thans a lot

I have listen and read the article and the story and like a lot buth
the article is very important for me anway I hope I will remember the rules when to use them corectlly
and the story at the end was very funny Iā€™m with smile while Iā€™m writing because the story
Iā€™m very happy that I have found this forum because I can read and listen at the same time
I belive it will help me to improve my english
many thank for you

Hi,

Glad you liked my story and good luck with your learning English.

Alan

1 Like