Feedback on audio recording (4 Articles, Charlie the Brave)

Hi,

How do you like the audio version of Articles in English - Grammar | english.best

Thank you for sharing your feedback.
Regards,
Torsten

1 Like

Hi Torsten

I’d recommend re-recording this one. The reason is this:

The focus of this lesson is articles – the definite article (the) and the indefinite article (a/an). In my opinion, if you want to illustrate the use of these articles in an ESL recording, then ideally the recording should reflect the pronunciation that would normally be used in speech. However, in the recording the indefinite article “a” is repeatedly pronounced the same as “ey” rather than the usual schwa (“uh”).

As far as I know, in both AmE as well as BE the “ey” pronunciation would only be used emphatically – i.e. to emphasize that there is really only one of something, for example.
The recording sends a confusing message to the ESL student with regard to the pronunciation of the article “a”.

In addition, the very first mention of the word “the” gives the pronunciation as “thee”. Last but not least, perhaps a small disturbance for my British cousins might be the pronunciation of the word “Thames”. :wink:

1 Like

I agree with Amy. Re-record it.

Hey, Amy, what’s your take on the underlined part of this?

Hi Molly

I’d say people in my neck of the woods still use “uh” rather than “ey” for normal conversation. I’d tend to agree with the idea that some newscasters might use the “ey” pronunciation more often – but would also suggest that this may simply reflect the fact that (1) they are reading and/or (2) they may unconsciously tend to try to emphasize things more often than your everyday, run-of-the-mill talker would.

1 Like

Hi Torsten

I must concur that some of the pronunciation for the explanations should be clearer :shock:

But that the story could use the more natural way that Brandee says “the” and a/an".

Some of her previous recordings were better. :smiley:

On a different note, referring back to what you mentioned in a previous thread concerning students exposing themselves and being exposed to a variety of accents. As this site has different versions of writing, maybe you should consider this when creating audio files. :idea:

And I was wondering how you wish the stories to sound, easily comprehensible or emotive?

Hello Mr.Tarsten,
Good after noon.It’s 1 P.M.now in California, USA.Now I come to know properly abt " Articals".The story" Charlie the Brave" is full of with definite “the” & indefinit “a, an” articles.First of all I’m reading the whole lesson or artical 2-3 times & then i’m listening to the audio lesson sent by u.This time I was able to understand Brandee’s speech
John’s compnay is going to give a $1000 bonus this year.
The Himalaya is the highest mountain in the world.
The sun gives us energy.
I’m afraid of the roaring lion who is seating under the tree.
Mohan is a boy but Sheela is a girl.
Plz eat an orange.It’s a health fruit.
It’s a rainy season. take an umbrella when u r out of the house.
i need a few girls 4 help in the kitchen.
An American English is hard to understand.
You are decorated as a bride but where is the groom?
I need an active person for my" Great Clips" shop.
The lady who is standing besides u is my mother.
An animal, an elephant, an apple, an Ink-pot, the Indians, a merchant, a driver, an artist, the moon, the sky etc.
Plez tell me if there is any mistake.
Yashomati

hey there,

thank you very much for the recording and everything. I did benefit a lot. A special thank-you-note for brandee.

I have some questions. Hope you can help me with them:

why do we use THE in these sentences??

1- One of the main differences between the two is that…

2- the warm summer air…

and about this rule:

*Before a noun made definite by the addition of a phrase or clause.
“The woman dressed in black.”

umm can you give my example on how to use this rule?

also, can i say ( i saw a woman dressed in black)?

my last question.

what is the right thing to say

the sky is the limit

OR

sky is the limit?

many thanks in advance. Your site is amazing.

Most of the audition is very well
but what “a” pronounced? /ei/ /e/ ?

Unfortunately I couldn’t listen to the article. My computer says that the file is not found.

Please try again.

TOEIC listening, photographs: A happy man in the studio

Dear Torsten and the team,

What yankee has said is correct. It gives some confusing pronunciation. Now as south asians, we have different languages and english pronunciation of us is different too.
So, if we are getting confusing idea from these audio files, its not worth.

please re-consider about the recordings.

Anyway, would like to appreciate your work.

regards,
chami

Dear Torsten,
Could you give some suggestion for your record. It is really hard for me to listen what you said.
Many thanks!

Hi Mr. Torsten

First of all
I want to say,
I like to repeat your article and your lesson. It helps me to add some new vocabulary and uses of grammar in sentences.

I want to ask you about the meaning of “take the night before last”. I couldn’t find in the dictionary. Is it idiom?

Thank you,
Guruh

1 Like

Hi Guruh,

‘Take the night before last’ suggests that the reader listens to or pays attention to the example of something that happened two nights ago. ‘Take’ in this expression is used as an imperative or request and would be similar to saying: Just listen to what happened the night before last.

Alan

1 Like

Hi Mr. Alan

Thanks for your explanation :slight_smile:

A very sweet good evening to all of you,

thank you very much for the recording and everything. I did benefit a lot. A special thank-you-note for brandee.

I have some questions. Hope you can help me with them:

why do we use THE in these sentences??

1- One of the main differences between the two is that…

2- the warm summer air…

and about this rule:

*Before a noun made definite by the addition of a phrase or clause.
“The woman dressed in black.”

umm can you give my example on how to use this rule?

also, can i say ( i saw a woman dressed in black)?

my last question.

what is the right thing to say

the sky is the limit

OR

sky is the limit?

many thanks in advance. Your site is amazing.

sonia*

1 Like

Hi Sonia,

Some good questions there.

We use ‘the’ when we want to talk about one particular thing/person. We say the main differences because we are talking about particular differences that are main. We say the two because we are talking about these two that we are going to discuss. Again the warm summer air - this is particular air because it’s summer and warm.

You can say a woman dressed in black or blue or green but we don’t know which woman. As soon as we say the woman dressed in black, we are talking about that woman over there - do you see her? -it’s the woman dressed in black.

Finally we say the sky is the limit because there is only one sky and that’s why we say the sky.

Is that any better?

Alan

2 Likes

Thanks a million Alan sir.It is clear to me now.

sonia*

Hello Mr Alan, below, my doubt…

…fear like the rest of us but when this creatures opened its wings…

The text above is a small portion of "Charlie the brave. Is the creature, (the bat), singular or plurar ? I’m not sure if it was an error of digitation or not.

hi,
can any one explane it for me,that…
why we use definite for ,the, and why we use indefinite for a/an.

thank u…