Favourite and favorite in one text

Hello!!! I have a question. May I write word FAVOURITE( eng) in one sentence and FAVORITE(amer) in other sentence. These sentences are written in one text. :shock: Is this correct?
Many thanks. Zulfiya

Hi Zulfiya,

Both versions ‘favorite’ and ‘favourite’ are correct but it’s probably a good idea if you stick to one spelling version - either US or British (European).

For more information on spelling please check here: [url]http://www.english-test.net/forum/ftopic107.html[/url][YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: A woman leading a donkey[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Zulfiya,

I’d like to comment on your reference to favourite/favorite. Clearly there are differences between British English and American English spelling. My only advice would be to recommennd consistency - all American English or all British English spelling. This was the policy followed by the Cambridge Examining Board as I recall when I used to be an examiner some years back.

Best wishes

Alan

Dear Alan and Torsten, thank you. I may say: my English teachers( it was a russian school) didn’t like the American English spelling at all. I don’t know WHY. I have also many difficulties with combination of letters
EA EE IE.
I think these combinations mean the same sound .Perhaps, I am not right. It is very hard for me to remember all words with these combinations. I couldn’t find the rules, which could explain this thing in English Language. :shock:
Many thanks in advance. Zulfiya.

Zulfiya, Здравствуйте и Добро пожаловать в наш форум!

Your teacher probably ‘didn’t like’ the American way of spelling because he was taught at a European university where the British spelling still dominates. At the end of the day it’s not such a big deal as US English the differences between US and UK English are rather insignificant.
As for your question, there are actually 5 letters/letter combinations for the long /i:/
Here are examples:

1. he
  2. meet
  3. meat
  4. retrieve
  5. receive

For more information on pronunciation and phonetics you might want to take a look here: [url]http://www.antimoon.com/how/pronunc-trans.htm[/url][YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: A horse back rider on the beach[YSaerTTEW443543]

Dear Torsten, thank you . It was a great pleasure for me to see russian words. Surely, I will try to understand these combinations. I am sure it will be a long process. Perhaps, it is impossible to reach a good reasult without the process. Learning language is always a long process. I think so. May I know your opinion? Probably, your opinion is totally different. What do you say?
I listen to you attentively
Zulfiya :shock:

Dear Zulfiya,

You have put that very correctly - learning is, indeed, a process. As is success. Whatever you do, you learn. You know more than before. This is what counts. So, yes I do agree with.
You might want to take a look at this article, too:
[url]http://www.english-test.net/articles/3/[/url][YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Stuck in the sand[YSaerTTEW443543]

Dear Torsten, I’v read your article. I do agree with you. But I’d like to notice. Children live with their native language. Language is a very important part of their life. But adult learners must try harder to live in a totally different world of foreign words and expressions.
Thank you for your time.
Zulfiya