fall off vs fall down from

Can someone please tell me the difference between fall off and fall down from? Which of the following two sentences sounds natural? Is there any difference between them?

1) I fell down from the building.
2) I fell off the building.

I think both are ok, and the meaning is the same.

I have heard both variants and both are recorded in dictionaries; however, someone told me "to fall down” is an unnecessary repetition, since you cannot fall up:):slight_smile: Gravity makes everything fall down. Not quite sure though why linguistics does not agree with physics. May be, because people started to speak languages well before Newton’s discovery:):slight_smile:

Thanks a lot, Iraqi and Natasha!

hi, would you consider in case the link fall down or it should always be goes down? thank you

I do not understand your question, sorry. You mean: does it always have to be GO DOWN?? Then, No. First of all, fall down does exist. So, do not get confused. And there is" go up "and there is “go down”. You can go down the street and you can go up the street, it is physically possible.:):slight_smile:

Fall off- another platform (I fell of the airplane)
Fall down- same platform (I fell down on the floor)

Even though it makes sense to “fall down from the building”, native speakers would not say it that way. They would say “fall off the building” or even “fall from the building”

Like others have said, usually if you just say “fall” it is understood that it means “fall down”

“to fall up” can also be used, but this is used in certain situations.

The only example I can think of is “to fall up the stairs” (to fall while walking up stairs)

Cool American English

To fall up (even while walking up the steps) sounds extremely weird. Even if you are walking up, you still fall down. It is the law of gravity.

One can probably fall up in zero gravity. I am not sure, though.

Thanks a lot to all of you!