Face-to-face communication

I’m Phuong, Quang’s sister, would you mind helping me correct the essay about the topic below? Thank you very much.

Topic: Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Face-to-face communication is better than other types of communication, such as letters, email, or telephone calls. Use specific reasons and details to support your answer.

In the world today, communication is a very important part of our lives. It is a useful way to exchange information or express our thoughts or feelings. Some people believe that face to face communication is better than other types of communication, such as letters, email, or telephone calls. Others would disagree. In my opinion, it makes our communication much better because of two primary reasons.

First and foremost, the main reason is that people communicate more effectively. People can modify the way they make conversation when they see each other. When you are talking to someone in person, you are able to know what the other’s feeling is so you can change the way you say. For example, your company has contract, you cannot negotiate with the contractors by making phone calls or email. You have to deal with them in person to reach an agreement. Face-to-face communication shows that your company is serious about the contract. Moreover, when you offer terms, you realize the contractor’s reactions so you have a chance to tender better terms. As you can see, it is more effective when you have face to face conversations.

Secondly, another reason is that face to face communication connects people more easily. When you talk to somebody face to face, you can also use body language. Sometimes, the way you look, the way you shake someone’s hand, or the way you hug means a lot to other people. For example, my friend’s cousin passed away last month. He was deeply upset. One of his friends had no idea what she could do to help him. Finally she decided that she came to meet him at the funeral so they had a brief conversation about his cousin then she gave him a hug. I think that it would help lower his pain. This experience taught me that if you want to understand another person, you should have face to face communication.

However, some may argue that a limitation which the face-to-face communication shares with oral communication is that its effectiveness is closely linked with the listener’s attentiveness. Since human beings can listen to grasp the message faster than the speed at which they are delivered, they will easily get delivered thus making communication ineffective.

To sum up briefly, though some people prefer letters, email or telephone calls, for me, I definitely believe that face to face communication is better because it is not only more effective but also easier to connect people.

TOEFL listening lectures: Why do the Lascaux cave paintings probably not qualify as graffiti?

Hi Phuong, I thought you did a very good job with this one. I really liked your specific examples you used in your first two body paragraphs. I think for this type of prompt,
they want you to pick one side or the other and defend your viewpoint,
so I would not use a paragraph like your third body paragraph that does not support your thesis. Here are some specific suggestions:

Hi Phoung! My name is Ornela. I agre with all your thoughts and arguments about comunication. In our days people don’ t use anymore face to face comunication. They want to comunicate with a machine more, like PC, smartphone etc. I like to see others in their eyes when I speak , because I want to see their reaction. Body language is very inportant to understand people reactions. Sometimes we founfd themself in trouble by misunderstanding with phone.

2 Likes