Fables often endure due to their

Fables often endure due to their (i) -------- often telling one simple narrative, based around one character. This is both by design , because direct statements are more easily remembered than florid ones, and by accident: as fables are passed from teller to teller,(ii) ------- details fall away, leaving only the essential story.
Blank(i):
bombast
objectivity
simplicity
Blank(ii):
superfluous
requisite
apocryphal

I think for first blank “Fables” is the clue. So “simplicity” fits well. But for the second blank I can’t find the clue.

Could some one help me here?

The clue for me would be in ‘essential’, as in ‘leaving only essential’ - indicating that anything which is not essential has fallen away. Does that help?

Yes! I think then “superfluous” fits well in second bank.

Fables often endure due to their simplicity often telling one simple narrative, based around one character. This is both by design , because direct statements are more easily remembered than florid ones, and by accident: as fables are passed from teller to teller, superfluous details fall away, leaving only the essential story.

Could you please answer to my following questions?

1. Can we know from the above writing that what is the simple narrative?

2. What does “This is both by design and by accident.” suggest ?

2, It is planned that way but it also happens that way without planning.

I’m sorry, I don’t understand question 1.

Fables often endure due to their simplicity often telling one simple narrative, based around one character.
Question 1.

I don’t understand what is the one simple narrative. I believe writer haven’t mentioned about the simple narrative. Even I don’t thing that the writing gives us any signal about the simple narrative.

Am I correct?

What is planned?

1. Do you understand the term ‘one simple narrative’ and how it relates here? The individual fables are the simple narratives. (The stories have a simple plot-line)

2. The use of a simple narrative is planned, but it would become a simple narrative even if it weren’t planned.

Thank you. I understand now.