Expression: Wait as I might!

Hi

Could you please use the given expression in a sentence or two?
I would like to know some other expressions of the same structure.

[color=blue][size=150]‘Wait as I might’[/size]

Many, many thanks in advance

Tom

Hi Tom,

Your quotation

is I would say of a literary flavour and could suggest: However long I (might)wait. Again you could also say: Wait as I may

I know the costruction from sentences like: Try as I may suggesting however hard/much I try or in the past form Try as I might I couldn’t open the door.

You could say in response to people who are laughing at what you’ve done:

Sneer as you may/might, I shall succeed in my ambition. Again that indicates: You can laugh at me as much as you like but nevertheless/in spite of all that I shall make lots of money.

Basically you are inverting the infinitive and the modal for effect. Thus: Sneer as you may is really: You may sneer. Or you may well sneer but …

I hope that gives some pointers.

Alan

Thank you, Alan.

Now I seem to understand the use of this structure!

Could you please tell me if I am right in the use of the given sentences?

1- Shout as you might/ may, no one is going to hear you.
2- Run as you can, you cannot reach there in time.
3- Cry as you may, Mom will not buy you anything!

Thanks in advance

Tom

Hi Tom,

I think (2) is a in a different category. I think it would have to follow a comparative (positive) form: Run as much as you like - that would then indicate that you won’t catch up.

Alan

Dear Alan

Keeping the same senetnce structure of both of the sentences, I would request you for further explanation:

Doesn’t number- 1 mean? -You may shout as much as you can/ as loud as you can, no-one is going to hear you.

Doesn’t number two mean?- You may run as much as you want/ as fast as you want, you simply cannot reach there on time!

So, how come the second sentence be a different kettle of fish? :shock: Please shed some more light on this part.

Many thanks

Tom

Hi Tom,

Like the use of ‘kettle of fish’ - excellent.

To me this kind of construction, which is a little unusual and perhaps a bit literary, only sounds right with may and might and doesn’t really work with other modals. Not a very satisfactory answer, I’m afraid but to my mind may is the only one that really suggests the underlying notion of if you like and I don’t mind Laugh at me as you may means: Go ahead and laugh at me as much as you like because it doesn’t both me. Can doesn’t really convey the same idea.

Hope this provides some, if not an awful lot of light.

Alan