Expression 'Their noses are hundred times...'

Hi

Could you please tell me which one of the following sentences sounds better to you?

[b]1- Their noses are hundred times more sensitive than those of humans.

2- Their noses are hundred times more sensitive than humans’.[/b]

Tom

Hi Tom, in the first sentence you compare the noses of animals with noses of human beings. In the second sentence you compare the noses of animals with human beings which doesn’t make much sense. By the way, I would put ‘a’ or ‘one’ before ‘hundred times’. (a hundred times/one hundred times)[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: A snow storm[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi!
Did you notice the possessive apostrophe? To me, both sentences are OK.

Hi Tom

I prefer the first sentence (as long as you add “a”). The second sentence tends to be confusing.

Or you could just say this:

Their noses are a hundred times more sensitive than human noses/ones.

Amy

My thanks to all of you! :smiley:

Could you please shed some light on it? Why is it confusing? Aren’t the following ones same??

1- His T shirt is as beautiful as that of Tom.
2- His T shirt is as beautiful as Tom’s.

Tom

Hi Tom

I think Torsten explained the confusion. Saying humans’ simply sounds like a plural noun. The apostrophe is easy to miss, so humans’ even tends to look like a plural noun.

This is quite different from saying Tom’s. The proper noun (name) ‘Tom’ is not normally plural, so it’s much more difficult to misunderstand Tom’s. And since the apostrophe is before the “s”, it also doesn’t look like a plural.

In the case of your T-shirt sentences, I would prefer your second sentence this time. :wink:

The first T-shirt sentence is grammatically correct, but simply sounds weird. It’s overkill.

Amy