Expression: "Shadows on a wall"

Hello

Could you please tell me the meaning of “shadows on the wall” in the discussion between two women who both are in love with one man?There are some more questions at the end of the dialogues.

Woman A: You love him. Women cannot deceive each other. It is in your face when you look at him.

Women B: Yes, I love him. I dream that some day he would take me for his wife . He has never looked upon me as that woman.

Woman A:
His face, his name are like shadows on the wall; you think that is love? You worship him with prayers and down-cast eyes, but I love him as a man of flesh and blood.

Q1- Why “he would”? Why not “he will”?
Q2- Is down-cast eyes a common expression?

PS: Since the dialogues are from a movie, I may not be 100% correct in copying them. :shock:

Tom

Hi Tom

I would understand shadows on the wall to mean something not real.

I dream he would” – This usage of the word would be similar to the usage in a sentence that begins “I wish he would” (unreal situation).

Down-cast eyes” isn’t an expression you’re likely to hear every day, but it’s also not an unusual description for that (eyes looking down, probably in deference).
You can also use the word downcast to describe how you’re feeling (depressed or discouraged).

Amy

Thank you, Amy a lot!

Again, I did not ask my question comepletely.

Please look at the complete sentence.

1- His face,his name are(like)shadows on the wall.

Q1- How did you assume the meaning?
Q2- Could you please elaborate the sentence to me? What
is she trying to say?

Tom

Hi Tom

I understood the meaning based on the entire context (several sentences):
Woman A: His face, his name are like shadows on the wall; you think that is love? You worship him with prayers and down-cast eyes, but I love him as a man of flesh and blood.

Woman A basically explains the meaning. She says that what Woman B calls love isn’t really love but rather just an image - a dreamy shadow - that Woman B worships — without even looking at him. Therefore, it’s not real (love).

Amy