Expression: He was parhaps fifty years old and the essence

Hi

Could you please explain the highlighted lines to me? I would be grateful.

"One particular gentleman did not leave, however. He stayed on with a few diehards and joined the court of Jafferson Cartright. He was parhaps fifty years old and the essence of that image so sought by aging socialities. Even to the graying moustache so perfectly overgroomed."

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Hi Tom

It means that the man’s appearance was exactly like what was considered to be the perfect or ideal appearance for older, prominent men. This image of “the perfect appearance” included a graying (partially gray) moustache that has every single hair perfectly in place.

Amy

Hello Amy

First of all, thanks for the prompt response. :smiley:

Amy, could you please shed some light (analyze) on the last sentence? For example, it is not a complete sentence for one thing, or is it? :shock: To follows which verb??

If I say that aging socialities means people getting old, am I correct in my understanding?

Tom

Hi Tom

A socialite (note the spelling ;)) is a prominent or an influential person. If you use the adjective aging to describe any person, it means old. In you sentence, I would guess that it means middle-aged or older.

Amy

Hello everybody

After 05 days of wrestling with this sentence, I give up!

Why does the writer treat it as a complete sentence? “Even to” is there. Which verb is there for TO? The only verb is sought and to does not follow that.

Sorry for inconvenience!

Tom

Hi Tom

Basically, the words even to mean including in this context. The author wants to stress that the man’s stereotypical appearance even includes the detail of his moustache, which is graying and impeccably groomed.

It’s not a complete sentence. It’s written more or less as an afterthought. Information additional to the previous sentence (like this is ;)).

Amy