Expressing disagreement "kindly"

Dear All,

I have some doubts about expressions I normally use in my native language but that probably don?t exist in english at all. I would like to find out a way in english for expressing respect when you approach a third person that, let?s say, is “important”(take as an example this situation: you sit together with a Professor and discuss about an issue, and let?s assume you disagree with him about some points)

Which are the forms to express disagreement “kindly”, retaining respect to a third person?

In italian, I would use the form “If I can allow myself to say it, I think that …” or “If I allow/permit myself, I make you notice, you are wrong on this point”.

Thank you in advance for any help!:slight_smile:
Alex

A very polite way of saying that you don’t agree is ‘I beg to differ’, meaning ‘I must disagree’. You could also say, ‘May I politely disagree?’.

Hi Alex

Sometimes people don’t use the word ‘disagree’ at all. Instead, they might say something such as:

That’s an interesting idea, but
I understand your point, but

The word but serves as the starting point for the disagreement. After the word ‘but’ the opposing point of view is stated.

This would be a very indirect type of disagreement and therefore might also be seen as “kind”. First you say something positive about the idea you disagree with and then state the opposing idea.

By the way, saying that you “understand” someone’s point or point of view doesn’t necessarily mean you agree with it.

You might also begin a disagreement this way:
“I agree with you up to a point, but…”

Amy

Dear Teachers,

thank you very much for your prompt and detailed answer!

Alex