"Example given" versus "Given example"

Hi

Could you please shed some light on the difference between the following sentences?

1- Could you please provide me with a few synonymous expressions for the [color=red]example given?

2- Could you please provide me with a few synonymous expressions for the [color=red]given example?

Tom

Hi, Tom!
I am no native speaker but the second sentence sounds much more natural to me, because “given” is used to define “example” and should obey the word order for adjectives. When I hear “…for the example given” it sounds incomplete - as if the speaker wanted to say something like “…for the example given at the top of the page” to further clarify which example exactly from a set of given examples.
Maybe a teacher will be able to determine if I’m right :slight_smile:

Stanislav

PS I’ve just noticed why you’re asking this question. I wonder what Alan’s intention was when he coloured “example given” red?

I second sls` statement. Maybe because we are from the same country and our perception is the same?

Hi Tom

You can use both versions. I happen to prefer the first one. :lol: But, sls also made some very good points.

In your first sentence, given = “… example (that has been) given”

In your second sentence, the word given functions as an adjective modifying example.

Amy