Ever been 'critized'? (as opposed to 'criticized')

Hi, did you know that a Google search for the word “critized” yields more than 155,000 results? It’s strange, a lot of people seem to use this word although officially it doesn’t exist. Maybe that’s because the correct version, (criticized) is too difficult to spell?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between a student and a university advisor[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Torsten

There are 852,000 Google results for the word “speling” but only 656 for “misspeling”… :lol: :wink:

Amy

[color=red]Interesting, isn’t it? :lol:

Now I am curious, Amy!

I would like to know if whatever is shown by Saint Google is being used by some people in some part of the world…or it is just wrong information!

Tom

PS: Please look at the underlined words.Should it be:

…or it is
…or is it

Hi Tom

There are 144,000,000 (!) Google results for “spelling” (i.e., spelled correctly)

I think you have to keep in mind that lots of things on the internet are extremely informal, have been written in a hurry and also haven’t been spell checked. :wink:

As for the Google results for “speling” — Did you try a Google search yourself? To get an idea if the number of results are telling you anything (and what), you need to take a closer look at some of results you got.

I only did that “speling” search as a little joke. :wink:

Amy

The word critized obviously is a commonly misspelling which does not exist on the BNC. Maybe, the BNC doesn’t contain any misspellings at all? So googling is much more fun :-).
By the way, the BNC doesn’t know the word google either…[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Autobahn[YSaerTTEW443543]