Essay review: ability to read and write more important today

I would give this essay…

0 voters

Is the ability to read and write more important today than in the past? Why or why not? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

It is believed that literacy and numeracy nowadays is more important than it was in the past. Actually, I disagree with this statement because it has always been important. Whether this was available or not – that is another question.

In the past, let us take for example the Middle Ages, literacy and numeracy would have been such great advantage that it is actually to measure! For instance, if people in the middle Ages could have been able to read, they could have read the Bible on their own, and I assume that the role of Church would not have been so great!

A plenty of priceless cultural values were created in the Renaissance but, unfortunately, all of them are lost now. There are many reasons for the loss and it would be exaggerating saying that they are lost because a few people could write them down.

I would also like to mention that literacy and numeracy would not have changed the history , as everything is happening as it should be. Nowadays everybody knows how to read or write because everybody knows how to do it. In the past, there were few people who knew it, so there was no special need for it as you were not supposed to write a letter as there were not many people you would have been able to read it.

To sum it all up, I will say that it is the matter of development for in the past printing was not so advanced to produce books every hour. This aspect explains why there were so few literate people. There were many greater skills that people were supposed to have – they had to know how to exist in very harsh circumstances.

TOEFL listening discussions: Why may Martha need money?

Hi translatinga,

Good idea to run a poll regarding your essay. Only, how does the rating system work, what is best 1 or 5?
Thanks
Frank

Hi Frank! Thanks for your reply!
I have meant it regarding the TOEFL system, and forgot to add 6.0 rate!! :slight_smile: Well, the best is 6.0, and the worst - 1.0 :slight_smile: I hope I will not get Grade 1.0 on March 10.:smiley:

Hi again, I think your English is very good. What country are you from? Regarding the sentence above, maybe it should read It is believed that literacy and numeracy nowadays are more important than it was in the past.

After all, literacy and numeracy are two nouns that both make up the subject in this sentence?

Wow, thanks again! :slight_smile:
I am from Latvia, I am actually earning my BA degree in English… The essay part is the one what I am a bit scared of…:expressionless:

yaps… literacy and numeracy ARE…should be more careful…

Do you think the essay is coherent and unified? GRRR, I need score 5… to enter the MA programme …:slight_smile:

Let’s see what the others have to say on your essay, I’ll read it in depth and get back to you soon.
Frank

Hi translatinga,

I’ve made some comments about what you’ve written:

[i]Is the ability to read and write more important today than in the past? Why or why not? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

It is believed that literacy and numeracy nowadays is (YOU NEED A PLURAL VERB ARE) more important than it (THEY WERE) was in the past. Actually, I disagree with this statement because it has always been important. Whether this was available or not – that is another question.

In the past, let us take for example the Middle Ages, literacy and numeracy would have been such (A) great advantage that it is actually to measure (NOT CLEAR ABOUT THIS - THAT IT WAS DIFFICULT TO MEASURE?)! For instance, if people in the middle Ages could have been (HAD BEEN ABLE) able to read, they could have read the Bible on their own, and I assume that the role of (THE) Church would not have been so great!

A plenty (PLENTY OF … NO ARTICLE) of priceless cultural values were created in the Renaissance but, unfortunately, all of them are lost now. There are many reasons for the loss and it would be exaggerating saying (IT IS AN EXAGGERATION TO SAY) that they are lost because a few people could (WERE ABLE TO)write them down.

I would also like to mention that literacy and numeracy would not have changed the (NO ARTICLE) history, as everything is happening (HAPPENS AS IT SHOULD) as it should be. Nowadays everybody knows how to read or write because everybody knows how to do it (YOU DON’T NEED TO REPEAT THAT) In the past, there were few people who knew it (HOW TO READ AND WRITE), (AS THERE WAS NO NEED) so there was no special need for it as (NE SENTENCE - YOU WERE NOT SUPPOSED …) you were not supposed to write a letter as (BECAUSE) there were not many people you (WHO) would have been able to read it.

To sum it all (YOU DON’T NEED THESE TWO WORDS)up, I will (WOULD) say that it is the (A) matter of development for in the past printing was not so advanced (ENOUGH) to produce books every hour. This aspect explains why there were so few literate people. There were many greater skills that people were supposed to have – they had to know how to exist (SURVIVE) in very harsh circumstances.

[/i]

I recommend you write this again and look at my suggested changes (in CAPITALS). Try to write shorter sentennces and also do not use complicated tense structures.

Alan

I have rewritten my essay now. So, how does it look now?

It is believed that literacy and numeracy nowadays are by far important than they were in the past. Actually, I disagree with this statement because it has always been important. Whether this was available or not – that is another question.

In the past, let us take for example the Middle Ages, literacy and numeracy would have been such a great advantage that it could have changed numerous things. For instance, if people in the middle Ages had been able to read, they could have read the Bible on their own, and I assume that the Church would not have been dominant at that time.

Plenty of priceless cultural values were created in the Renaissance but, unfortunately, many of them are lost now. There are many reasons for the loss and it would be an exaggeration to say that they are lost because a few people were able to write them down.

I would also like to mention that literacy and numeracy would not have changed history, as everything happens as it should. Nowadays everybody knows how to read or write because they are taught to. In the past, there were few people who were able to read or write because there was no need for it. You were not supposed to write a letter because there were not many people who would have been able to read it.

To conclude, I would say that it is the a matter of development for in the past printing was not advanced enough to produce books every hour. This aspect explains why there were so few literate people. There were many greater skills that people were supposed to have – they had to know how to survive in very harsh circumstances.

Well, the topic has stayed the same…:smiley:

Yes, that’s better.

Just a few changes:

It is believed that literacy and numeracy nowadays are by far more important than they were in the past. Actually, I disagree with this statement because it has always been important. Whether this was available or not – that is another question.

In the past, let us take for example the Middle Ages, literacy and numeracy would have been such a great advantage that it could have changed numerous things. For instance, if people in the middle Ages had been able to read, they could have read the Bible on their own, and I assume that the Church would not have been dominant at that time.

Plenty of priceless cultural values were created in the Renaissance but, unfortunately, many of them are lost now. There are many reasons for the loss and it would be an exaggeration to say that they are lost because a few people were able to write them down.

I would also like to mention that literacy and numeracy would not have changed history, as everything happens as it should. Nowadays everybody knows how to read or write because they are taught to. In the past, there were few people who were able to read or write because there was no need for it. You were not supposed to write a letter because there were not many people who would have been able to read it.

To conclude, I would say that it is (NO ‘THE’) a matter of development for in the past printing was not advanced enough to produce books every hour. This aspect explains why there were so few literate people. There were many greater skills that people were supposed to have – they had to know how to survive in very harsh circumstances.

Alan

Thanks!
So, which rate could I get for it? I know I just have to be more careful and reread my essay… And practise writing…Ther are 10 days left…:slight_smile: