ESL Tests - the total diappointment

I have been going through the tests on your website, just to see how it works,and it is total disappointment.I do know the grammar and give the correct answers.But when I check the results there are incorrect answers for few questions for which I KNOW I have unswerd PERFECTLY CORRECTLY.How is That for your tests? :frowning:

Dear Talena,

Many thanks for your feedback. Could you please tell us which questions you are referring to? Also, how can you be sure your know the correct answers to all questions?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: In the kitchen[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Torsten,

As for me, as an English learner only, it seems that Talena is just trying to tease you, aren´t you, Talena?

I wouldn’t automatically assume that, Michael.

How would you feel if you answered a test question correctly only to be told it was incorrect?

We’ve also had people asking (on this site) about tests on other sites and about tests/exercises in various grammar books that give incorrect answers.

Hi Michael,

No one is perfect, it seems. After all, dear old Homer was known to nod on occasion.

Alan

That sounds like a rather poor excuse for not repairing typos and errors that have been identified for you. :wink:

Hi Amy,

the below part of Talena´s post made me thinking that, despite her surely good command of the English, she is able to improve her skills, don´t she? Or is it my lack of improvement that [color=red]I thought I´ve noticed a small mistake in her writing?

Oh, now I see what you were getting at, Michael. Yes, she did indeed spell ‘[color=red]answered’ incorrectly. That may well have been a typo. However, ‘perfectly correctly’ is fine in the context. The word ‘correctly’ is an adverb modifying the verb ‘answered’. The word ‘perfectly’ is also an adverb, but it modifies ‘correctly’.

If she had used the word ‘answer’ as a noun, then she would have had to say something like this: This is a perfectly correct answer. In this case the word ‘correct’ would be an adjective modifying the noun ‘answer’, and the word ‘perfectly’ would modify the adjective ‘correct’.

In a nutshell, adverbs can be used to modify verbs, adjectives, and also other adverbs.

Hi Amy!

Yes, I considered the “unswered issue” to be a typo similar to the "diappointed " in the subjectline.

What sound odd [color=red]to me ( think of me as a learner, only ) is the combination " perfectly correctly " since I never heard or read a similar term before. I think; I´ll have a certain look at that issue by now.

See you

Michael

You can read more about adverbs here, for example, Michael:
owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/ … djadv.html

Hi Michael.

If it’s adverbs you’re after, dare I suggest some of my material:
english-test.net/lessons/11/index.html
english-test.net/lessons/50/index.html

Alan

Indeed,I have mistyped in two places.That comes along with strong emotions.It have been so all my life,no matter what language I speak.As for your joy at finding some small mistakes Ive made - well,small pleasures do make our lives more bearable, dont they?
And would you now give me a hand? I, sure enough, need it to comprehend your letter."…despite her surely good command of the English, she is able to improve her skills, don`t she?.." - what did you mean by that? That you doubt my ability to improve my language skills or that I actually need improvement? Enlighten me.
Talena

Hm… I definitely can enjoy my life without pointing out small mistakes done by others. What made me wonder had been the ! strong emotions ! which one could feel within the subjectline of your topic and made you mistyping. As for the issue of the adverbs I must admit that I was mistaken and have got the correction from Amy. Hope you don´t mind but may feel comfortable if you like.

I wouldn´t have interpreted it as negative as you did! I didn´t mean your personal skills but in fact the opportunity you´re offered here.

Anyway, having read your first post I doubted your return to this site and if my failure could make you returning and having a certain look on this site it was worth it, wasn´t it?

Hope we´ll see you again, even if it were to correct me :wink:

Michael

Hi Amy and Alan,

Thank you for shedding some light on the issue of adverbs and adjectives. Please don´t ask me for the insight I´ve achieved from that lessons since there are some questions left. :roll: Particularly when it comes to think about inversion. Nonetheless I´d be grateful to receive some corrections in the future.

Michael