ESL job: Leipzig, Education Centre of Saxon Retail

Hello Roberto, Ian and all English Team trainers. This thread is for our classes at the Education Centre of Saxon Retail (Bildungszentrum des Sächischen Handels). As you remember we already worked there as a team and we also created an online course for the warehouse operators: english-test.net/esl/learn/e … index.html

If you have any questions, please ask them here and I’ll also post Daniel’s reports since he worked at the Centre for quite some time.

Many thanks,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEFL listening discussions: An assistant lecturer talking to a new student[YSaerTTEW443543]

[b]LEIPZIG: Fri, September 18, 7:30am – 3:00pm

English course in Leipzig.
Torgauer Platz 3 04315 Leipzig

Report:
[/b]
Today I was working in BZ Handel in Leipzig for the first time.
I was working from 7.30 until 3 and had 2 classes.

In the morning for 3 hours I had a group of 18 students aged between 16 to 25.
We started with a small Introduction and I gave some Information about Ireland.
After Introductions we worked with the book provided.
This covered basic English conversations in a shopping environment.
We examined the tenses and grammar.
We then used some of the sentences learn to build up the students plans for the weekend.
We brain stormed and formed a large word list of associated activities for the weekend.
The students then made a weekend plan and afterwards, read out loud to the class.

This class was in fact very good, when motivated with energy and continues contact, then did provide good collaboration and synergy.
The content for these young student had to be kept modern and relative and after that, it was… clear sailing.

The second group after lunch was a smaller group of 12 women aged between 20-45.
This group had there first say of English today and was very sceptical about their chances.
But after some Introductions and when the girls realised they could have some fun learning, then they adopted things very quickly.
We first assessed what was important or relative to learn first. The students noted that selling and buying was most important.
So we focused on this area and concentrated on building word lists and simple sentences.
The student had already a good collective word list for this topic and readily explained and added to this project.
We went into some detail on this and later, we constructed dialogues between customers and sales assistance’s.

This was the core of the first day with this group and I found it very positive and promising for further development.

Hello dear English-trainers,

I’d like to summarize my last two English sessions in Leipzig (Torgauerstr.3).

Monday 14/09 + Monday 21/09,

I spent my first two hours with almost 20 young trainees from Leipzig, Eilenburg and other close cities in Saxony, excepting Sven Hübsch who comes from Bavaria. A part of the group is noticeably motivated and wants to learn or refresh their English language skills. The other part is rather absent-minded, however I did my best to persuade them to be more aware of the importance of learning or developing their English language skills, especially for their job as a shop-assistant. On the first day, we didn’t work with the book “English for Shop-assistants”, but I explained to them the significance of English worldwide, showed them a map where they could clearly see where English is spoken as a mother tongue and where it is spoken as an official language. Then I summarized some basic structures they had already covered in previous English lessons at school:

• singular and plural forms: -s/-es; exceptions: children, oxen, geese, mice, lice, men, women etc. ; changes such as: wife > wives etc.
  • simple versus continuous forms: third person singular in -s/-es and -ing-suffix.
  • review of the English alphabet and introduction of the NATO-alphabet
  • comparison of the German and English languages: which language would be easier for a learner at the very beginning? Most trainees answered : English. Reason: you have to learn fewer declensions (der, die, das, dem, den, der etc…>>the), or conjugation endings: ich esse, du ißt, er ißt, wir essen, ihr eßt, sie essen versus: I, you, we, they eat/he, she, it eats. However, the first difficulties come up e.g. when the continuous aspect (-ing) has to be practised.
  • Review of some modal verbs: can/could; Review of some polite questions using would/could
  • Review of social expressions: please, you’re welcome, nice/pleased to meet you; thanks; let me introduce you to…; good-bye etc.
  • Brief oral introduction of each participant: names/place of birth/age/hobbies etc.
  • Why do you want to learn English? (this question applies to the motivated participants); why should you learn English? (it applies to the non-motivated learners, some of them did not want to take part actively in the class, unfortunately).
  • English basic vocab versus German basics: words of Germanic descent in English are of course easier to learn for a German-speaking learner: e.g. man, house, book, door, think, sun, son, daughter, mother, brother, eat, drink, two, ten, twelve, forget, heart, lung, mouth, wheat, bread, red, follow etc…Reason: German-speaking learners only have to remember that both words are spelt and pronounced differently, i.e., they should be pronounced as they are in English. The similarity to the German words is amazing and the usual tricks I give to them should serve as an efficient help to spell these words correctly. Here are some of them:

a) Write th for lots of words in German containing d: denken = think, der/die/das etc: the; dieser/diese/dieses etc = this/these; Ding = thing; Eid = oath; ander = other; Mund = mouth; Süden = south; drei = three etc…
b) Write d for lots of words in German beginning with t- or ending in t: trinken = drink; tanzen = dance; tun = do; gut = good. Also: Garte = garten; Leiter = ladder Pay attention to the false friends that can occur everywhere: Tier is not a deer (Hirsch).
c) Write s for words with sch- before a consonant: Schnee = snow; schlafen = sleep
d) Write p for a great deal of words in German containig pf, ff, f: schlafen = sleep; offen = open; hoffen = hope; Waffe = weapon; auf = up; Pfunf = pound; Apfel = apple etc.
e) Write t for lots of words in German containing z, ss, s or ß: essen = eat; was = what; Weizen = wheat; es = it; zwo = two; zwölf = twelve; zwanzig = twenty: zu = to etc.
f) Write k for some words having ch: machen = make; Kuchen = cake; Buch = book.
Exceptions: lachen = laugh. If German ch stands before the consonant t, i.e. -cht-, write -ght-/-t-/: acht = eight, Nacht = night; Gelächter = laughter; Licht = light etc.
False friends can also lurk here: fight is not German fechten (fence, battle), its meaning is broader: kämpfen.
g) Write v for lots of German words having a b in the middle or at the end of the word: halb = half; Kalb = calf; haben = have; geben = give; leben = live; über = over; Leber = liver etc.
h) Drop most flexion endings in German such as -en/-n (infinitive), personal endings such as -e, -st, - en, -t etc… The only ending you should remember at the beginning are: -s/-es for the 3d person singular excepting modal verbs, the ending -ing for the continuous tenses and present participle; the -ed/-d for the past simple of irregular verbs. Otherwise, you should get familiar with the use of lots of modal and auxiliary verbs: can/could, must, may, have to, want to, shall/should, will/would, to be, to have and others. To be is important for the “continuous tenses” and “passive voice”. To have for the perfect tenses.
i) Pronounce often /ou/ like in home in English words corresponding German ones containing ei, ai, ee, eh, äh: home = Heim; stone = Stein; alone = allein; loaf = Laib; soap = Seife; oath = Eid; most = meist; snow = Schee; roe = Reh; go = gehen; soul = Seele, mow = mähen etc. German words containing the diphthong ei might also be spelt with i /pronounced: ai/: Eis = ice; fein = fine; Gezeiten = tides; Meile = mile; reiten = ride etc.
Mind here the different spelling possibilities for just one sound: /ou/: o like in stone; oa like in soap; ow like in snow; oe like in roe; ou like in soul.
j) pronounce /i:/ for lots of German words containing long a, long o or au:
Traum = dream; Ostern = Easter; Ohr = ear; Jahr = year; schlafen = sleep; Straße = street, Stahl = steel; in some words you should pronounce /e/: Tod = death; rot = red; Brot = bread. The English sound /i:/ can also correspond to a German /ai/: heizen = heat; Weizen = wheat; leiten = lead; meinen = mean; Heide = heath etc.
k) Write i for some German words having e, a for some German words containing e and e for some words having a: zwanzig = twenty; Nacken = neck; dann = then; wann = when; Zecke = tick; es = it; fett = fat; write o for some words containing a: lang = long; Gesang = song
l) Write long ee or short i for German words with an Umlaut ü: fühlen = feel; Füße = feet; füllen = fill; Hügel = hill etc.
m) Write ew for some words having au: brauen = brew, kauen = chew;Tau = dew. For other words containing au the English spelling should be ou: house, mouse, thousand, or even ow: sow. It is clear that there are other spelling possibilities, but these tricks or hints should rather serve as a general guide line to gain a better self-confidence when writing, reading or memorizing English words.
n) Be aware of the dangers lurking when encountering a false friend: English meanings that only exist in German-speaking countries: Handy for a mobile phone e.g.
o) Analogies and irregularities in the language: Analogies can be found with certain endings and when spelling these words:
Plural -s/-es: city > cities; tomato > tomatoes; dress > dresses; church > churches
3d person singular present simple: he/she/it flies; he/she it does; he/she/it passes; he/she/it teaches

Doubling a consonant: simple (long) and double (long):
Comparative and superlative: fat > fatter > fattest; big > bigger > biggest
Present participle -ing: cut > cutting; shut > shutting; dig: digging etc.

In some words:
morning is built analogically to evening.

Irregularities:
Irregular verbs: lots of irregular verbs in German are also irregular in English, but there are exceptions anyway.

trinken trank getrunken = drink drank drunk
essen aß gegessen = eat ate eaten

But: lie lied lied: liegen log gelogen

p) Write ea for some words having an e in German: lernen = learn; essen = eat; Herz = heart; Leder = leather; Wetter = weather etc. This rule can also apply to some German words of Latin or romanic descent: Krem = cream. Exception among others: forget

q) Drop the prefix ge- in some German words: Gesang = song (= Lied); participles: gehabt = had; geschlafen = slept; getan = done; gegangen = gone; gerannt = run; Gezeiten = tides etc.

r) Write wh for most question words instead of German w: was = what; welche(r, s) = which; wo = where; wann = when; exception how = wie. Remember the change wh > th in some of these pronouns: when > then; where > there;
s) Write y for some German words containing -g, especially when they are close to front vowels: gestern = yesterday, Tag = day, lag = lay; mag = may (maybe = mag sein, vielleicht), Roggen = rye; Auge = eye; exception gähnen = yawn (it is not a front vowel). Windig > windy. Sometimes you should write i or drop it, especially before a consonant: Regen = rain.
t) Write -ow/-w for some German words having -g, especially when they are close to back vowels: geflogen > flown; Bogen = bow; morgen = tomorrow; folgen = follow; Galgen = gallows; Sorge = sorrow etc.
u) Write th for some German words having -tt-, -d- or t- in the middle of the word, frequently before the ending -er:
Wetter = weather; Vater = father; Mutter = mother; Leder = leather; Bruder = brother; Feder = feather etc.
v) Write f for lots of German words beginning with V-, v- /f/: vergessen = forget;Vater = father; voll = full; Volk = folk; vorhersehen = foresee; if the German V at the beginning isn’t pronounced as an /f/, you should spell the English word with v, since it surely stems from latin or a romanic language: Version = version.
w) Pronounce s and w in a different way from the German pronunciation pattern(s):

singen > sing /ßing/
waschen > wash /wash/

x) German words of Latin, Romanic or Greek descent - lots of foreign words in German - are a good bridge to the huge amount of English words descending from these languages due to the different history of the English language:

Differenz für Abweichung > difference = Unterschied
Separat für einzeln > separate = trennen
Linguistik für Sprachwissenschaft > language = Sprache
Kommune für Gemeinde > common = gemeinsam
Finale = Ende > finish = beenden
Visite = Besuch > visit = besuchen

etc…
y) Remember that some words change r into s/z and reversely. This applies not only to English-German words, but also to internal changes in the same language: in German:
er war and the past participle gewesen. In English: he was and the plural form: they were.
verloren = lost
frieren = freeze

z) last but not least: drop occasionally some consonants, mostly l and n. Add some consonants to some words, mostly b after m e.g. This b can be however silent.

als > as
ander > other
Mund > mouth
ein > a(n)
mein > my (mine)

Kamm > comb (silent)
Lamm > lamb (silent)
Nummer > number (not silent)
Kammer > chamber (not silent)

All in all, these rules can help us to spell English words in a more efficient way and consider language learning from a logical point of view.

I spent the rest of the day teaching two other classes of trainees. One of them consists of 8 young women and the other one of more than 11 (not everyone was present on Monday).
On Monday 21/09 we all worked with the book “English for Shop Assistant”, did lots of exercises contained in the book and my own handouts (including english-test-net learning materials)

Regards

Roberto

Hello everyone,

We now need a trainer for these groups for the following days:
October 9
October 12
October 16
October 26
October 30

Many thanks,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: A Snow scene[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi dear trainers,

last Friday I met three different groups of young people in BZ Handel Leipzig. The first class attends a training for warehousemen and consists of only young men from 18 to 31. The second group was a mixed class of young men and women that attend this school because they want to work in the retail trade later, the same as the third group I met on that day.

The first class worked with my handout where I wanted them to be aware of some relevant vocabulary regarding the important steps when looking for a job:

• looking for a job as a warehouseman
  • going to the Employment Centre or Job Centre
  • reading ads in the newspaper or on the Internet
  • replying to advertisements or following a recommendation given by someone
  • making a phone call (only a short introduction)
  • applying in writing for a job
  • going to a personal call
  • filling in the application form
  • taking a test (you can pass or fail)
  • attending to an initial interview
  • being short-listed
  • attending to the final interview
  • getting the job or being rejected
  • if you are rejected, don’t give up!

We talked about the relevance of these points. We also discussed practical aspects such as:
Can you tell me where the Employment Centre in Leipzig is? How can I get there?
How much money do you expect to earn in the future?
Do you think money is important in life? Why?

I prepared a summary of the most important technical terms used by warehousemen in English. We intend to go through these words in the next lessons in form of short practice-oriented texts.

The second class got a text I asked to read aloud (Page 28, English for Shop Assistants: At the souvenir shop). We also discussed some important grammar and vocab aspects such as:

• modal verbs
  • continuous and simple forms of the verbs
  • British versus USA English (bill and check, lift and elevator, underground and subway etc…, colour versus color etc…)
  • verbs to like/would like/be going to
  • future with -ing
  • phrases/expressions such as: certainly, of course, have a nice trip! Can I help you? What can I do for you? I’m afraid, May I…? Here is…, here you are! etc.
  • verbal nouns in -ing + noun: wrapping paper, living room, baking powder, washing machine. Two words in English whereas in German we just write one word: Packpapier, Wohnzimmer, Backpulver, Waschmaschine
  • differences between lend and borrow (like give and take)

The third class consisted of 12 women that receive a training for shop assistants. This group was quite new for me on Friday, but they had already had a lesson with Ian Brian. So I started the class without the book first in order to find out what they can already express in English. Some of them showed motivation, but the part in the middle of the class was rather absent. One of the women probably wanted to be left alone. I found out they still need a great deal to practice, more than the other classes I had met before. We discussed general aspects that are useful to learn English as a foreign language. In fact, I wanted to find out an efficient way to motivate them to learn more English:

• introduction of the alphabet. Some of them were really good at it!!
  • numbers from 0 to 20 and then 30 to 100
  • plural forms regular versus some irregular forms (page 35, book English for Shop Assistants)
  • -ing-form of the verbs (present continuous)
  • asking a question using the auxiliaries do/does
  • comparison of related words between German and English. By the way, there is a Russian-speaking girl - Maria- from Kyrgizstan, so I compared a couple of easy words between these three languages: sister = Schwester = sestrá; brother = Bruder = brat e.g. She reacted with great interest, but a part of the class looked a bit contemptible towards the fact I spoke some russian words. Sometimes I just think they want German to be spoken and not even English (I heard this sentence in class - in German: we live in Germany and you should speak German here please!!).
  • some free exercises (oral exercises): How old are you? Where do you live? Do you live in a city or a village? Do you like your job?
    etc. …

At the end I asked them what they would like to read: as in Ian Brian’s lesson I certainly got the same answer:
selling and buying. So I had them read a text aloud (Page 5 Book for Shop-Assistants 1). We discussed some sentences on the whiteboard, their structure (word position in the sentence e.g.) among other things.

Regards

Roberto

Hi dear trainers,

On MONDAY 28 CoolI spent a whole day with three diffetent groups in Leipzig (BZ Handel)again, one of them - the second one - was a completely new class.
The first class (retail shop) was quite attentive and took an active part in the exercises although it was still early in the morning. We practised several relevant shopping phrases (customer-shopping assistance dialogues) and their corresponding grammar.
The second class - consisting of 10 warehousemen and two warehousewomen - was also a mixed group. I would say that one half of the class was willing to follow my instructions, the rest seemed to be uninterested, though I stressed the importance to learn English nowadays. I dislike people that start by saying: we are in Germany and in Germany we speak German, I mean in an English class it is downright ridiculous, isn’t it?
This was a phrase one of the trainees uttered in class. Moreover, some of them were rather bothering the class, so I said at the end I would like to complain about it. I hope they will be able to learn to be more disciplined in the near future.
In spite of all, we had a part that wanted to learn and I was able to have the other unwilling part to write useful English sentences for warehousemen on the whiteboard. We covered the following aspects:

• modal verbs: Can, may, must, have to
  • verbs to like, important verbs used in class: read, listen, write, spell
  • looking for a job as a warehouseman/woman: skills, experience, credentials, salary etc.
  • English vocab compared with German words.
  • Nova Scotia and its capital, Halifax (Canada)

The third class seemed to be the most motivated at all, although a part of them was a little bit excited because of an exam they should take on Wednesday.
We talked about similar aspects covered in the first class early (in the morning), namely:

• shopping phrases
  • useful grammar: modal verbs, social expressions and idioms (certainly, of course, excuse me, sorry, can I help, here is etc…).
  • spelling exercises
  • false friends
  • Denglish words
  • parts of a shopping centre
  • different spelling in USA and UK

We did some exercises in the book part I English for Shop Assistants on page 34

Regards

Roberto

Hi Roberto,

Thanks a lot for doing such an excellent job with the young people at the Education Centre. What is on your agenda for the next lessons? Also, what do you think of this: Speaking English for 20 seconds a day?

Best regards,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: A snow storm[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hello dear trainers,

I’d like to update you on the last sessions given in Leipzig regarding English for Shop Assistants. Please have a look at this link too: german.about.com/library/blvoc_shopPB.htm. In my opinion, this link could be very helpful.

We read similar dialogues and texts in the available white-green book English for Shop Assistants. One of them took place at a department store. I admit that the above-mentioned link was not primarily designed for German students, but for English-speaking students. It could however be helpful, since it can provide a way to compare both shop/retailer systems in the USA (Wal-Mart etc.) and Germany (KaDeWe etc. ).
I explained to the students the meaning of department contained in the longer word “department store”. English tends to use two or more words instead of one single word like in German: Kaufhaus (one word) = department store (two words). I usually help students to analyse words. For example: if you analyse the word department, you’ll get de + part + ment. After finding out the (main) stem, this game turns out to be quite easy. Part means in German “Teil” and this word as such can also be derived by using prefixes and suffixes. The best way to show this is comparing similar words:

compartment versus department versus departure
depart versus apart etc.

Compartment also contains “part”. And the German translation too, of course in German (Teil): Abteil (in a train) and department = Abteilung (in a store, shop).
Although departure doesn’t contain the word “Teil” in German, it is easily comprehensible: Die Abfahrt, der Abflug, die Abreise.

In order to make these dialogues in the book as vivid as possible, we imagined working in different department stores found in Leipzig such as Gallerie Kaufhof, Karstadt, Hennes und Mauritz etc.
Some expressions used in these dialogues were considered with special care:

• treat yourself to the… = gönnen Sie sich… A real treat, that is in German ein wahrer Genuss. A Dutch treat: if you go Dutch, each one pays for himself/herself, …jeder für sich…

These idioms were also covered among other things:

'll (will)/'d (would) be glad to…

The German language would perhaps prefer to use an adverb in this context:

gern(e)

In English, you could also use: I’d love to, I’d be glad to.

Another interesting word discussed in class was:

to refurbish, its pronunciation and spelling. The ending -ish of some verbs: finish, accomplish, distinguish, etc. If someone is interested in finding more verbs ending in -ish that, in my opinion, are derived from French, please consider this short list:
“abolish accomplish admonish astonish banish blandish blemish brandish cherish demolish diminish distinguish embellish establish extinguish famish finish flourish furbish furnish garnish impoverish languish lavish nourish perish polish publish punish ravish relinquish relish replenish tarnish vanish vanquish varnish”.

In addition to spelling and pronunciation exercises, we learnt lots of relevant vocabulary and expressions/idioms, including synonyms and antonyms:

Synonyms: a wide range of:…a wide assortment, a product line…variety…a wide choice…of…

Last but not least, we went through main grammar aspects found in the book and in my handouts: e.g. the use of some prepositions. One important preposition regarding prices is:

at: at a bargain price or percentage: at 100%

Relevant vocab: clothes, fashion, wear, apparel…ladies’ apparel, ladies’ wear or ladieswear, fashion for women.

Stationery…paper, ink, printing paper…paper and office supplies, writing implements, greeting cards, glue, pencil case etc.

All in all, I had an amusing session with the trainees (Shop-Assistants), although some of them seemed to be uninterested or absent-minded in class.

Other grammar aspects: modal verbs, use of don’t/doesn’t, progressive forms of the verbs, verbal nouns in -ing, comparative and superlative forms, plural forms, possessive and demonstrative pronouns, other pronouns etc.

Regards,

Roberto

Hi dear trainers,

I’d like to post an update on the last English sessions given to the warehousemen and warehousewomen.

November 6th/9th

As usual every participant received a handout. We read this text together and discussed it then:

An inside look at a storage facility

1. Modern warehouses are equipped with all sorts of technical equipment that enables goods to be efficiently stored. This equipment includes operator-less conveyor systems that move through various warehouse zones as though they were guided by an invisible force or stock pickers who select products from the pick locations in racks based upon instructions they receive on headsets from a central computer. The following graphic and detailed explanations provide insights into the most important processes in a warehouse.

Explanations:

The false friend “warehouse” should be known by everyone already. The German word “Warenhaus” is not the same as “warehouse”, we all know in class it means: Lagerhaus. A “Warenhaus” = department store.
To equip = ausstatten, ausrüsten, einrichten. I always explain in class how words can be derived: e.g. by using suffixes such as: -ment, -ing, -ion (-tion, -sion), -age, -ness, -ance etc…Equip > equipment, store > storage; include > inclusion, operate >operation, move > movement, guide > guidance, admit > admittance, produce > production, locate > location, instruct > instruction, receive > reception (kind of irregular), select > selection, explain > explanation (also with a vowel shift), provide > provision etc. These were examples for abstract words derived from verbs. I gave them other examples such as: visible and invisible based upon the root vis- in vision, television etc. To be able > enable : transitive versus intransitive verbs, also raise versus rise.

Grammar: relative pronouns who/that (relative clauses); past participles: stored, guided, based and of course irregular participles: drawn, driven, eaten etc. …
Mindmapping/brainstorming concerning relevant warehouse vocab. (forklift, handlift, pallets, safety at work, lift and raise, move, remove, tools, picking, order picking, storage, shipment, incoming goods, loading and unloading etc…)

1. Stations in the warehouse
    This article contains additional information and interactive features.

From receiving to shipping

Goods that arrive in the warehouse are accepted by receiving and prepared for storage. This includes unloading and identifying incoming goods. Identification is usually done by scanning a barcode Barcode attached to the good. However, new innovative technologies like RFID Radio frequency identification allow for contactless scanning of goods. As a result, the contents of a whole pallet Pallet can be read at once by the radio signal emitted by RFID chips as soon as the shipment passes a gate or similar checkpoint. But this method of identification is relatively more expensive than the barcode and is less used.
After being inspected at receiving, the goods are prepared for storage. In this process, they may be placed onto the appropriate load-carrying device such as pallets Pallet or into parts containers or repacked. The time the goods spend at receiving should be as short as possible. The receiving area for incoming shipments where goods that will be stored are processed is often called the I Point, or information point.
In theory, there are two types of warehouses: single-line stores and order-picking warehouses – but in reality, many warehouses combine these two activities.
Single-line stores are designed to store and retrieve identical units of the same type of good. For instance, a pallet of goods will be placed in storage, and the complete pallet will be retrieved again. Due to the great similarity of activities, single-line stores can be highly automated. Since movement processes are greatly simplified, space can be used very efficiently. The single-line store is also called a reserve warehouse if units are not sent directly to shipping but are placed in an order-picking warehouse instead. Reserve warehouses are used to store large volumes and units of goods for a relatively long time.
In general, small quantities and units of goods are stored for shorter periods in the order-picking warehouse. This warehouse area carries out movement processes that are used to consolidate or break down the flow of goods, the picking. This means the goods do not leave the storage area in the state in which they were stored. To keep the time required for manual picking to a minimum, efficient picking procedures and short transport routes must be considered in the organization of the order-picking warehouse. Order-picking warehouses also frequently rely on modern technologies such as pick-by-light Pick-by-light and pick-by-voice Pick-by-voice , which not only make the order picker’s job easier but also increase productivity and accuracy.
In the packing station, the picked order is consolidated into a unit for shipment, which can also involve a transfer to another internal station.
Shipping involves both the dispatch of goods to the recipient and delivery-related activities. This includes receipt of the goods from the packing station, set-up of interim storage sites that extend back to pick-up, arrangements for pick-up vehicles and loading. Transport-related processes are the primary job of shipping. Goods stay in shipping for lengthy transition periods only in extraordinary cases.
In addition, warehousing and means of conveyance used in the warehouse must be directed and coordinated. This is the job of the warehouse management, which forms the interface between the logistics subsystem warehouse and the logistics subsystem order processing Order processing.

The above-mentioned text was thoroughly read and translated into German after having discussed some aspects contained within it.

Grammar: modal verbs, verbal nouns in -ing: warehousing, picking, shipping, processing etc…Synonyms: receipt of the goods = incoming goods; expressions/idioms: in addition, in theory, in reality, in general, this includes; -related: delivery-related, colour-related, country-related, computer-related, age-related etc…

The words: receive, reception, recipient. Increase and decrease, like impress/express and depress: importance of suffixes in English.

Regards

Roberto

Hi Roberto,

Thank you very much for your excellent work and your detailed reports. If you get a minute, please let me know what you think of this: english-test.net/forum/ftopi … tml#196430

Regards,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: A skateboarder[YSaerTTEW443543]

Dear English-trainers,

the English class in Leipzig has just completed a three-month term at the Bildungszentrum Torgaustr. 3.
I’l summarize our last English sessions that took place in the last weeks (November 13th -December 4th).

November 13th/16th//23th/27th
December 1st/4th (last session)

1. Shop-assistants
  • pages 15, 17, 25, 28, 30, 36, 54, 56, 57, 59 in the white-green book “English for Shop Assistants I”.

Topics: a letter, telling the time, writing about oneself, at the weekend, making a phone call, invitation, your diary, months, seasons, days, customer/shop-assistant dialogues (flow-chart), eating out, sightseeing in London, sightseeing in New York (Videos), video about Ireland, at a deparment store, shopping in KaDeWe, departments in a department store, Wal-Mart stores Incorporation (USA), a list of UK-department stores (link: somucheasier.co.uk/department-stores.html ), giving directions; age, size, weight; daily routine (page 52), containers and quantities;

Grammar: modal verbs can/be able, have got to/must, would like to, 'd love to, could/was able to; future with -ing, ordinal numbers -th, future with will ('ll), shall I…?, I’ll have, may I (have…)?, let me…, prepositions and phrasal verbs: into, in, of, off etc: wrap up, get up, come up, pick up, go down, write down, etc., exercises on page 45 about the use of in, on, to; ago, since, for; past tenses review (simple past versus present perfect), -ing tenses, signal words; how long + present perfect; simple past + ago; used to + Infinitive; comparison of adjectives (-er, -est), irregular forms; I hope you will…, correct order of sentences in English (exercise on page 46), possessive pronouns (exercises on page 49), preposition of with containers and quantities (page 53: a bottle of, a slice of etc…), use of any and some (page 55), asking the way (exercise on page 58), use of prepositions of place, demonstrative pronouns (exercise on page 63: this, that, these, those), use of one and ones;

Vocab: pack, wrap up, I’m afraid, I think, it’ll…, if you like, order, a menu (starters, main courses, side dishes, desserts), VAT, sales tax (USA), special words for animals and their meat (not flesh!!): pig and pork, calf and veal: I explained why there are two different words (Anglo-saxon origin versus French influence); certainly, of course, separately, all together, here you are, keep the change, have a nice (week, day, evening…), Happy Birthday, many happy returns; to take (how long does it take? ), that sounds great,
American versus British spelling: defense and defence, color and colour etc…we welcome you to…, treat yourself to, I’ll be glad to…, refurbish, household, furniture, don’t forget to…, basement, floor, ground floor: explanation of the English translation of German erste Etage, Erdgeschoss, zweite Etage etc. in both USA and UK; turn left/right, lift, escalator, go straight on (ahead), catch the bus, have (breakfast, lunch, dinner), stock-taking, count, don’t worry, pull oneself together; food, products, diary products etc…; asking the way (pages 56-58), colours (page 59); wear-wore-worn; fit, suit, as soon as I can, on holiday, leave/take a message, I’ll manage,

Pronunciation drills: how to pronounce some difficult English sounds: th as in think and th as in the, this, r-sounds in UK and USA, silent consonants as in comb, lamb, listen etc.

The most advanced groups also took lessons from the volume 2 of English for Shop Assistants:

Pages 5,6,7,11,18,19,23

Topics: looking for a new job, a CV, schools in Great Britain, shoes, buying furniture, symbols (exercise on page 18), describing furnitures (exercise on page 19), a new home, things in a house (page 23).

In addition to the numerous oral and written exercises in class, we watched learning videos, watched videos about USA and Ireland (The Emerald Isle: streetdirectory.com/travel_g … eland.html ), we listened to different songs in English, read their lyrics and translated them. Some of the groups even sang these songs. Quizzes about important cities, towns, rivers, mountains, states, presidents etc…in the English-speaking world were also solved.

Regards,

Roberto

Hi Roberto,

Thank you very much for your detailed report and your excellent work. How are you getting along with your email account and what do you think of our LELTA workshop?

Regards,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: People with suitcases[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Torsten,

I had a look at the LELTA-workshop and in my humble opinion it is indeed a great idea to have a professional facebook group online in the Midlands of Germany. As soon as I have more time, I’ll read more about it, all the comments and questions and join the group actively.
I’ll contact Slava on Friday. As usual, I’ve been quite busy this week too.
I hope you are spending enjoyable days during this pre-Christmas-period.

kindest regards,

Roberto