Es fehlt mir nicht, am Meer zu sein

Hi,
I’ve recently encountered the book title “Es fehlt mir nicht, am Meer zu sein”. I wonder if it’s possible to translate it as “I don’t miss the sea”?

3 Likes

Yes, that’s essentially the idea of the sentence. To be more precise you could say “I don’t miss spending time on the coast/by the sea”.

Of course the meaning changes if you put the comma after “mir” instead of “nicht”.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot, Torsten!

2 Likes

Hi Irina,
Seeing you here on the site has reminded that I didn’t comment on the lovely recording you did at my instigation. I ought to be thoroughly ashamed for forgetting to reply. Please forgive, And now I can’t find the recording. Can you help?l
Apologies,
Alan

5 Likes

Did you get ny request, Irina?

2 Likes

Are you there, Irina?

2 Likes

Hi Alan,
Sorry I’ve just checked the forum.
Here’s the link: My favourite book
It would be nice to hear your comments.

2 Likes

Hi Alan,
I have noticed the interesting word “instigation” which I encounted for the first time. Does it relate to the formal language or it’s commonly used? So the Online Cambridge Dictionary gave me the examples connected with politics and criminal field.

3 Likes

Hi Irina,
It’s not only used in a formal sense. It is a useful word to indicate that you are the person responsible for starting something. So when I said ‘at my instigation’ I meant it was my idea to get you to do the recording.
Does that make sense?

3 Likes

Just another point - about your recording. I thought it was very clear and you are very easy to understand. The only comment I would make is about pronouncing ‘the’. In the definite article the ‘e’ is short before a consonant and long before a vowel sound. To pronounce ‘th’ you need to press your tongue up against your top teeth. Try it.

3 Likes

Hello Alan,
Thank you for your comments. I know that tongue twisters is the best way to improve pronunciation, so I decided to record one of them.
Not these things here but those things there.
The speed wasn’t my aim here. I hope to receive your feedback.

2 Likes