Error identification

Hi teachers,

Could you please help me find the erros below and correct them?

1. The sun’s ray shine more directly at the equator than do they at the poles.
  2. The thirteen orginal, first states ratified the United States Constitution during a three-year period between 1787 and 1790.
  3. Cape Cod, Massachusettes, is known for its summer resorts and towns for fishing.
  4. Transporting strikes can cause serious shortages throughout the country.
  5. The Montessori teaching method is based on the belief that children are seriously-minded and have remarkable powers and therefore will educate themselves if allowed to do so.
  6. In the history of American developing, the wagon remained the dominant method of commercial and transportation until the railroad age.
  7. The ability to convert raw materials into valuabler the communities is the basis of an industrial economy and the foundation of a high standard of living.

Thanks in advance.

1…‘The sun’s rays shine…than they do at…’ or just ‘The sun shines…than it does at…’.
2…‘The thirteen original states ratified…’
3…‘Cape Cod, Massachusetts is known for its…and fishing towns.’
4…‘Transportation strikes can cause…’
5…’…on the belief that children are serious-minded and…’
6…‘In the development of America, the wagon remained the dominant method of commercial transportation until the railroad age.’
8…‘The ability to convert raw materials into valuable commodities is the basis…’

You’re welcome.

Hi Canadian45,

Thank you for your correction :smiley: . At the same, I want to share something about my decisions of correction.

(Sorry, in this point, there is a typo…"more valuable communities…)

What do you think?

2…no, ‘first’ should be erased. Actually, ‘The original thirteen states’ is more commonly used but ‘The thirteen original states’ is also acceptable.
3…no, why do you think there is only one ‘town for fishing’? ‘fishing towns’ is much better than ‘towns for fishing’! (summer resorts and fishing towns)
6…‘history’ is not needed in this sentence and ‘In (or ‘During’) the development of America’ is much better than ‘In the (history of) American development’.
8…‘commodities’, not ‘communities’. Look up ‘commodities’ in your dictionary.

Talking about sentence 8, "I am sorry to say that i am not quite sure if it is "commondities or communities because i wrote it down so fast that i didn’t notice it well…But i think there appears to be a mistake with “valuabler”.

The original sentence I quoted from my book is “The ability to convert raw materials into valuabler communities is the basis of an industrial economy and the foundation of a high standard of living.”

Thanks again.