English trainers wanted: Eilenburg, February 7 through April 1, 2011

Hi everybody,

We are looking for English language trainers who want to take part in the following training project:

TOEIC prep course
period: Monday, February 07, 2011 through to April 1, 2011
time: from 8 am to 3 pm, (8 units 45 minutes each), Monday through Friday
purpose: preparation to take the TOEIC Test

The group consists of about 12 people who want to increase their job chances by improving their English. The course is funded by the federal labour/employment agency (Bundesagentur für Arbeit, Eilenburg).

For previous TOEIC prep courses, please check these threads:
ESL/teaching English job: Nordhausen July 14 through September 21, 2009
ESL job: Nordhausen October 6 through December 14, 2009
ESL Trainers wanted: TOEIC prep course Nordhausen, January to July 2010
English trainers wanted: Nordhausen January 17 through April 8 2011

If you are interested, please contact us here on the forum.

Many thanks,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: A girl with boxes[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Torsten,

altho I am dancing on more than one wedding now - and my own enterprise is developing - I think I could say YES concerning that English course in Eilenburg. Eilenburg is very close to Leipzig, so I even could drive back home each day. No matter if there are 2 or 3 or five days a week to teach.
Please, tell me, if there are important thing for me to know.
Tel. (new) 0157 / 78 82 64 76 !!!
Or by mail.

Many thanks for the message,
Andreas

Hi Torsten and fellow trainers,

I would be interested to work on this upcoming course

It would be great for me to do 2 days per week, on Monday and Tuesday

Looking forward to hear from you soon

Scott

Hello Andreas and Scott, thank you very much for responding so swiftly. I’ll get back to you with more details regarding the Eilenburg course schedule by the end of the week.

Best regards,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Archaeological site[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi everybody,

I’ll post some of the points we covered in Nordhausen yesterday:

Main text in class:

Looking for a job:
"The following pages describe Frank Worner’s experiences as he applies for a job, moves to the U.K. and begins his career. Frank has almost completed his university course in Germany in the field of Business Administration. The company that Frank is applying to is BodyFit located in the south east of England. It is a medium-sized progressive company producing sports equipment and clothes. Frank is trying to land a job as a management trainee moving from one department to another on a rotation scheme. To see what happens, read on!

Explanation of the relevant vocab contained in the reading text: experience. The prefix ex- meaning “out (of)”, GErman: aus-, ur-, er-, “über…hinaus”: Erfahrung. exit, exaggerate. The verb “to apply for a job”/ to apply to a company and the German translation: sich bewerben. Application = Bewerbung. The verb “to complete” as a synonym for “finish, end, conclude”. The verb to “move” and the noun “motion” and the use of the prefix “re-”: German: wieder, zurück- or other German suffixes (ent-, um-): repeat, relocate, remove. The noun “size” and the adjectives ending in “sized”: small-sized, medium-sized, large-sized company (compare: clothing or shirt sizes: S, M, L). Some verbs ending in -duce (Latin for “lead”, “carry”): introduce, reduce, produce. The idiom: to land a job = to get a job.
Some learning techniques for memorizing words better were discussed in class:memory aids, looking for connections to German or other languages we are familiar with (e.g.: German ei/ai like in Stein, Eiche, Kleidung, Eid, allein, Heim, heil, Seife, Laib correspond to English o/oa-words: stone, oak, clothing, oath, alone, home, whole, soap, loaf.). Use of games and creativity in class (dice, drawing pictures, rhyming words and sentences, word chains, puzzles etc…)
Learning a foreign language can be regarded as a contribution to peace. In class we also discussed the reasons why we should learn English. The use of the idiom: to my mind, in my opinion. Some reasons could be: for better global understanding, to improve employment potential, study abroad, to sharpen or develop cognitive and life skills (mental flexibility, creativity, and higher order thinking skills, such as problem-solving, conceptualizing, and reasoning); the encounter with cultures different from one’s own leads to tolerance of diverse lifestyles and customs and it improves the learner’s ability to understand and communicate with people from different walks of life. Other reasons: to appreciate international music, music and film, to make travel more feasible and enjoyable, to increase understanding of oneself and one’s own culture, to make lifelong friends.

Grammar: some modal and auxiliary verbs: have to/must, can/can’t/be able to and would like to /'d like to, want to, will…I want to learn English because…, I’d like to learn English because. I must learn English because…I’ll try to learn English because…

Jokes in class:

Our receptionist slipped on a banana skin and went to hospital. After examining him, the doctor said: “I have some good news and some bad news for you. First of all, you’ll never be able to work again.” Our receptionist said: “Okay, now what’s the bad news”?
Other jokes: There are three kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can’t (modal verbs: can, can’t, verb to count - account, discount…).
If I had eight apples in the right hand and nine apples in the left hand, what would I have? - Huge hands…

I’d also like to express my gratitude to Wolfgang and Martina for their help. Thanks for the lift! And I thank all of the four participants for their attention and commitment.

Have a nice weekend! Regards

Roberto

Hi dear trainers, dear Torsten,

here I am again with a summary of the last lesson given in Eilenburg:

• review of some important adjectives and their opposites, e.g.: fat/thin, hot/warm, black/white; soft/hard; slow/fast/quick etc…Comparative and superlative forms (also in a short text about superlatives in North America: largest river, hottest place, coldest city etc…)
  • review of some false friends and more: girdle (not: Gürtel = belt), for (not: vor = ago), hose (not: Hose = trousers, pants) etc…
  • Denglish and pseudo-anglicisms: Handy (engl. praktisch, not a a mobile or cell phone), Beamer (in English you would say: projector), Oldtimer (in English you would say: vintage car) etc. Other kinds of interference between these two languages: when/if, order of words in a sentence etc…
  • review of some of the questions asked in a creative game. Review of the past tenses:
    have you ever been abroad? Have you ever been at a birthday party on the beach?
    When was the last time that you got/were really scared? etc…
  • some new grammar structures: oral exercises in class based on the grammar patterns: get + -ed (get married, get divorced, get scared, get paid, get lost etc…;
    to be used to doing something (to drinking water, to eating vegetables, to getting up early in the morning.
  • some special words and idioms in class: pop (up) the question, early bird (early-riser), night owl.
  • brainstorming: parts of the car, airport, city, weather etc.
  • plural forms: ending -s, and -es (churches, tomatoes, potatoes, kisses etc…), fish (sing./plural), child> children, mouse/mice, louse/lice, goose/geese, tooth/teeth, foot/feet
  • to buy and purchase; buy and purchasing
  • fight and buy: fought fought/ bought/bought
  • CEO: chief executive officer
  • active communication in class: reading/speaking training
  • interesting reading about the different signs of the zodiac: Aquarius, Pisces, Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, Leo, Virgo, Libra, Scorpio, Sagittarius, Capricorn
  • personality adjectives (enhanced list): ambitious, brave, broad-minded, calm, careful, charming, communicative, conscientious,considerate, convivial, creative, decisive, determined,dynamic, easygoing, emotional, energetic, enthusiastic,extroverted, faithful, fearless, frank,friendly,funny, generous, gregarious,
    hard-working, helpful,honest, humorous, imaginative, impartial, independent, intellectual, intelligent, intuitive, kind, loving, modest, optimistic,patient, persistent, polite, practical, quick-witted, quiet, rational, reliable, responsible, romantic, self-confident, sensible, sensitive, shy, sincere, sociable, straightforward, sympathetic, tidy, versatile, warmhearted, willing, witty
  • Personality adjectives are adjectives that we use to describe a person and their character or personality (useful for a CV). Some of the negative opposites were also covered: stubborn, e.g.
  • some useful verbs and nouns in connection with these personality adjectives: rely on, responsibility, reliability etc.
  • homesick and wanderlust:
    I’ve noticed more and more people here who are raving for food you can’t get easily in Germany. Have faith, all you homesick ones - here are two online shops where you can order English (and US) foods and stuff, even when you are located in Germany:

gerloff-bremen.de/

This is a very small and private shop where I order my English baking mixes and various kinds of things in tins. But beware: they might want prepayment.

british-american-food.de/

Nice big shop I stumbled upon by chance. Haven’t yet tried ordering there - but lo! they offer clotted cream and baking mixes for scones…

• explanation of the word “democracy” and the Greek roots of this term.

-the expression " to be into doing something or into sth.): Some examples here: are you into soccer? Are you into scary movies? Into playing tennis? Into trying new things? Into fixing cars?

• to be afraid of/ be scared of:…spiders, roaches, darkness etc…
  • idiom: elbow your way through (the crowd…throng)

Have a nice beginning of the week with them!

Regards

Roberto