English to French

Hi,

“Whatever he says, you can take it to the bank.”
Tout ce qu’il dit, c’est du solide.

I’m trying to find a similar idiom in French of “you can take it to the bank”.

Thank you for your help.

Is that an English idiom then? I’ve never heard it.
Perhaps it is more common in the US.

“You can take it/that to the bank” is a well-known expression on this side of the pond. It basically means that you can confidently consider ‘it’ to be verifiable and/or real.

A variation that Beeesneees might be familiar with is ‘you can bank on it’. If you can ‘bank on’ something then you can rely on it/count on it/have confidence in it.

[color=darkblue]________________________________________________________
[size=75]“A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don’t need it.” ~ Bob Hope[/size]

Hi Amy,

Speaking of idioms related to “you can take it to the bank”
Is this idiom common on your side of the pond: “to make bank on”?
Like: “he won’t come, you can make bank on it”

I’ve heard it on Law and Orded but not sure if it’s common in the States.

Thanks!

‘You can bank on it’ is, indeed, an expression I am familiar with.
Not ‘you can make bank on it’ though. That sounds grammatically implausible.

If you’ve heard ‘make bank’ on Law and Order, I would assume it was NOT in the sort of context you provided. I have occasionally heard ‘make bank’ used to mean something like ‘earn a large amount of money’. However, it’s not something I hear often, and you don’t necessarily need to add a prepositional phrase after ‘make bank’. In addition, if a prepositional phrase IS added, then ‘on’ might be used, but you might hear ‘with’ used instead, for example. The preposition isn’t a fixed part of the expression. (‘Make bank’ may also possibly be an expression used in poker, but since I don’t play poker, I can’t say for sure…)

So, do you know a French idiom that means ‘You can take it to the bank’, Dean?
[color=white].
[color=darkblue]________________________________________________________________________
[size=75]“A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it begins to rain.” ~ Robert Frost[/size]

Ops, I must have jumbled up “make bank” with “take it to the bank”!
Thanks guys!

Hmm, off the top of my head I can’t think of anything idiomatic that would fit the bill. Hehe.
Here’s what I managed to come by on the internet:
forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=1329979

Tort wrote:

I am not kidding with you, after preposition you can’t use only ‘it’ or pronoun.

The bus knocked down him,(no) instead, the bus knocked him down. Correct.

Law and order, not orded.

You’re up to your old tricks, Quazi, still trying to be a teacher, heh?

Maybe if you stopped being so haughty and so entrenched and started taking in advice on grammar from the experts here then (I guarantee you) your English would improve a lot. As of now, the majority of people here (including myself) are having a heck of a lot of trouble understanding you. And that’s saying something about your competence in English.

Splendid rhetoric.

Half of your rhetoric writing doesn’t make any sense either.

It’s difficult to tell, but Min appears to be saying that phrases such as
‘You can bank on it’
or
‘I’d stake my life on it.’
are not grammatically plausible.

I would like to assure the other learners here that he is wrong, and that these are perfectly correct sentences.

Interesting indeed!

The pattern I cited here it was from the famous Oxford dictionary writer’s pattern.

My browser doesn’t work now, instead I could show you the comment of Honrable
Mcbwer’s, who said about this pattern almost two years back!

No pronoun is possible after preposition unless you have other words, like noun.

Sorry, this is the burning example of “a woman of con artist”!

I’m sorry, you have returned to gobbledigook now and I am confused by it. Please try to rephrase your message into standard English.

A game involving these sentences: spot the preposition/pronoun ending to them.

Beating about the bush.

It is completely wrong to say that a preposition can never be followed by ‘it’ or a pronoun. If you were so sure about pronouns not being allowed to follow prepositions, then why on earth did you write ‘[color=blue]with you’?

with = preposition
you = pronoun

Consider this sentence: He sat on the sofa. Now, let’s replace ‘the sofa’ with the word ‘it’:

• He sat it on. [color=red]WRONG!
  • He sat on it. [color=blue]CORRECT

You referred to a phrasal verb (knock down) which cannot be followed by a pronoun. That is a very specific situation. ‘Knock down’ is an example of a separable phrasal verb. However, some phrasal verbs cannot be separated by a noun or pronoun at all. In addition, not every preposition is part of a phrasal verb.

Your ability to spew nonsense is staggering.

[color=white].
[color=darkblue]_____________________________________________________________
[size=75]“Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.” ~ Napoleon Bonaparte[/size]

Well said Amy!
I can’t think of a more apt expression to explain our friend’s behavior who’s so loath to concede that he’s wrong sometimes!

Esl!
I am very much busy than you, so I am going in near future to talk.

Just, one thing you have proofed now, empty vessel sounds much!

How strange!
I would think that of all people you have proved this fact beyond a reasonable doubt.

Oh, can you translate his gobbledigook then, Tort? Well done.

Barely :))))))
After all this time I’m still strugging to make heads or tails of it.