English through songs

Hello everyone!
I came across an amazing thing! I found out that Englsh can be learnt through listening to songs (or something like that). In fact, Ive never met such a thing. Could you tell me a bit more about it??? Id like to try it with my pupils :)))

Jailbird,

Learning English through listening to English songs is probably one the many methods you can try and apply. But be careful: You should select songs with lyrics that are written in proper English. Especially in European countries a lot of pop songs are made by people who don’t speak English well themselves. Germany is such a country. Most German pop music makers produce their songs in English and of course the vast majority of their German listeners don’t care about the lyrics at all. For example, there is that German pop trio called «Mr President». Their biggest hit goes like this: «…Put me up, put me down, put my feet back on the ground, put me up, put me down and make me happy». To be honest, I think this just awful language.
By the way: I’ve noticed that in Russia and the Ukraine there are so many groups that make songs in Russian and they carry a message. It’s very good when a nation develops and maintains its own pop culture, don’t you think??[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: A florist[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi ! Why awful! “Put me up, put me down…”
easy to memorize!!!
Terminator :evil:

Hi Torsten!
Well, speaking about the songs and the grioups: which one could you suggest??
And about Russian groups: what did you mean by saying “carry a message”-having some sense??? Im going to dissapoint you for theres such a project in Russian called “The Factory”. I dont know exactly what they do there but as a result there come new singers & groups out... It must have been good BUT! This singers are so talentless....and their songs are so senseless that people like me who enjoy real music just become crazy when they hear the sounds of these stupid songs!!! By the way, all the radio-stations broadcast mostly these songs!!! There used to be good russian songs (at the times when my Mum & Dad where young themselves), but now...something terrible is happening... And some singers try to sing in English..thats even more terrible…Speaking frankly, the cultural life in Russia is even worse then just simply bad!!!

Hi :))
I agree, that it`s easy to remember…still, I think a song must have something else in it then just simple words that are easy to remember… However, for people who just begin to learn via songs this can be the songs to start with :))

Hi Jailbird,

Where did you get that funny picture you are using as your Avatar?
Regarding good songs — of course this is a question of taste and style. I like songs that make me think about the lyrics, that’s what I mean by carry a message. Music can have a very strong impact on people. You hear a song, you like the music and the lyrics go into your head where they influence your thinking through your subconscious mind. That’s why it’s important to select the «right music» — you decide what you want to listen to any why.
It’s interesting that you classify the music your parents used to listen to as good. I’m quite sure that your generation is capable of making good music too. After all, music is good as its listeners’ taste, isn’t it?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Holding a package[YSaerTTEW443543]

hi torsten,

looking at all the articles you’ve written again and aigain I’m impressed about your diplomatic style- have you ever thought about becoming a diplomat?

Hi! What about RAP? Do you like Rap, Torsten?

Did you like the picture??? You see, in real life Ive got a nickname because of my last name, and its Kuza - the name one very funny cartoon charachter- a brownie-had & you can see him in the picture :))) I share your point about music absolutely! Speaking about the music my parents listened to-its a bit old-fashioned of course, somebody find it boring, but I like it… and not only the Russian music, but the American, English and so on… And I think i`ll start teaching with this music… :))))

Hi Kat,

Yes I like Rap if it’s good. What about you?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Standing at a podium[YSaerTTEW443543]

Yes Jailbird,

I think your picture is unique - it makes your profile more individual.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: A meeting room[YSaerTTEW443543]

ONLY IF IT’S GOOD

Naufragis,

It seems as if today we are having a little picture contest. Or is an «Online Avatar Vernisage»?
Thanks for your statement about diplomay — as you can see it pays off: We are turning our forum into a place where people can exchange their ideas and learn from each other. As Bruce rightly said: «… This will give you all the opportunity to write down your own viewpoint, experiences, jokes, funny stories and real information to help us break down the cultural barriers caused by stereotypes and prejudices…»[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: An outdoor gathering[YSaerTTEW443543]

dear torsten,

my first avatar reads “No Thinking”. It’s time to change in a more personal expression in my presence.

Aha, I thought I could only see the word «thinking» but then it might have been only a thought …[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Among the dunes[YSaerTTEW443543]