English test (Fill each of the blanks with a suitable word or phrase...)

Hello teacher,

I have just finished this test. But I am not sure I did it well or not. Please check it for me. Thank you! Wallflowergirl

I. Fill each of the blanks with a suitable word or phrase

1. It must be twenty-fine yeas since I studied at school.
  2. He likes nothing more than/better than to sit and read the daily paper.
  3. He didn’t take kindly to being criticized.
  4. It’s dark! Mind that you don’t get lost.
  5. You couldn’t have won the prize or you’d have heard by now.
  6. On no occasion since then has she acted against her mother’s wishes.
  7. This is one of the best book I have ever read.
  8. It’s hard at first when you become widowed, but people eventually get used to living alone.
  9. They all turned up at the meeting with the exception of the treasure, who was ill.
  10. You’d better pull your socks up or you’d fall the exam.

II. Put the following into indirect speech.

1. ‘I hate getting up on dark morning’, grumbled Peter. ‘It’s horrible,’ agreed his wife, ‘but the mornings will be lighter soon and then it won’t be quite so bad.’
    Peter grumbled that he hated getting up on dark morning. His wife agreed it was horrible but the morning would be lighter soon and then it would be quite so bad.
  2. ‘The sales are starting tomorrow,’ said the typist. ‘As soon as we finish work the whole typing pool is going to make a dash for the shops.’ ‘I hope you will get what you want,’ I said
    The typist said the sales were starting the following day as soon as they finish work the whole typing pool was going to make a dark for the shops. I said I hoped they would get what they want.
  3. ‘I booked a double room on the first floor,’ said Mr. Jones. ‘I’m afraid we didn’t get your letter,’ said the receptionist, ‘and all the first and second floor rooms have been taken. But we could give you two single rooms on the third floor.’ ‘That wouldn’t do me at all,’ said Mr. Jones
    Mr. Jones said that he had booked a double room on the first floor. The receptionist said that he was afraid they hadn’t got his letter and all the first and second floor rooms had been taken. The receptionist said that they could give him two single rooms on the third floor. Mr. Jones said that wouldn’t do him at all.
  4. ‘If you want a job you should read advertisements and write letters and ring people up,’ he said to Ann. ‘It’s no use sitting at home, expecting employers to form a queue outside your door.’
    He said to Anna if she wanted a job she should read advertisements and write letters and ring people up and it was no use sitting at home, expecting employers to form a queue outside her door.
  5. ‘Have you ever been a flying saucer?’ said the man
    The man asked me if I had ever since a flying saucer.
  6. Where can I park my caravan?’ she asked the policeman.
    She asked the policeman where she could park her caravan.
  7. Ann (on the phone): Could you do without me today, Mr. Jones? I’ve got an awful cold and I think it might be better if I stayed at home.
    Mr. Jones: You should certainly stay at home, Ann. And you’d better take tomorrow off too if you aren’t better
    Ann asked Mr. Jones if he could do without her that day. She had got an awful cold and she thought it might be better if she stayed at home.
    Mr. Jones said that she should certainly stay at home and she would have better take the next day off too if she wasn’t better.
  8. ‘Shall I send it round to your hotel, sir?’ the shop assistant asked the tourist.
    ‘I’m not staying in the town,’ said the tourist. ‘I’ll take it with me.’
    The shop assistant offered to send it round to the tourist’s hotel. The tourist said that she wasn’t staying in the town and she would take it with her.
  9. ‘Do go to a dentist, Tom, before your toothache gets any worse,’ I said
    I urged Tom to go to the dentist before his toothache got any worse.
  10. ‘Could I have some more pudding, please?’ said the boy.
    The boy asked for some more pudding.

III. Write a new sentence as similar as possible in meaning to the original sentence, using the word in brackets

1. It’s a waste of time to try and explain anything to Tony. (worth)
    It is not worth trying to explain anything to Tony.
  2. Most people consider that stealing is wrong. (everybody)
    Almost everybody consider that stealing is wrong.
  3. Give in to him and you’ll regret it. (stand)
    If you don’t stand up to him you’ll regret it.
  4. Final year students don’t have to attend lectures. (optional)
    Attendance at lectures is optional for final year students.
  5. Please would you send me further details of the job advertised? (grateful)
    It is very grateful of you to send me further details of the job advertised.
  6. The critic had a low opinion of the new play. ( much)
    The critic didn’t like the new play very much.
  7. Dickens’s last novel was unfinished when he died. (without)
    Dickens died without finishing his last novel.
  8. All the hostages were released yesterday by the kidnappers. (let)
    The kidnappers let all the hostages go yesterday.
  9. John was shocked to hear that he failed his driving test. (came)
    It came as a shock to hear that John failed his driving test.
  10. He said he disapproved of people who smoked. (expressed)
    He expressed his disapproval of people who smoked.

IV. Insert a preposition in each numbered blank space if necessary
(1)In the thirteen century (2) in Wales, there was a handsome young prince called Llewellyn. He was fond (3) of hunting and often wanted to go (4) out (5) in the forests and mountains (6) with his favorite hunting dog, whose name was Gelert. One day, however, he left Gelert (7) at home to guard (8)  his baby son, who was only a few months old. (9) in the evening when the prince returned (10) from hunting he saw that his house was (11) in a terrible mess. The furniture had been knocked (12) over and there was blood (13) on the walls. He could not find (14)  his baby son. The he saw his dog Gelert running (15) toward him, covered (16) in blood. The prince thought that the dog had attacked (17)  and killed (18)  his son. Prince Llewellyn became violently angry, took his sword (19) out and killed the dog (20) with one blow.

V. Circle the letter next to the word that best fit each space
‘The Moon Trap’ is a new film by a young Canadian (1) called Melvin Strang. The main parts in the film are (2) by Sid Cheung and Julie Plein who last appeared in ‘Music For Ever’.
In this new film (3) star as a young married couple who buy an old house in the country. After living there (4) a few weeks strange things begin to happen.
Some of the furniture in the house disappears and can’t be (5): windows break and pictures fall off walls. At night they (6) crying noises, and when the moon is up loud screams can be heard from the wood nearby.
As you might expect, the young couple try to discover the (7) for all these strange events and this leads them into some very frightening situations. (8) you are easily scared don’t go and see this film! But if you enjoy films with (9) of adventure and murder (10) this is the film for you.

1. a. actor b. leader c. director d. manager
  2. a. played b. given c. made d. put
  3. a. the b. they c. she d. them
  4. a. since b. from c. for d. by
  5. a. taken b. moved c. made d. found
  6. a. hear b. make c. seem d. sound
  7. a. way b. course c. reason d. use
  8. a. why b. if c. how d. because
  9. a. lots b. much c. many d. all
  10. a. as b. when c. than d. then

VI. Complete the passage by putting one word chosen from the list in each space
a. confidence b. replacing c. unique d. lesson e. as well as
f in charge g. tone h. gambling i. all j. positive
k. love l. expensive m. several n. together
Mrs. Janis-Norton claims a high success rate with her (1)…system which involves teaching the parents (2)… the child. It is a similar problem to (3)… or drug addiction. She says: “With the parents, we examine (4)… the issues that come up in a child’s day - food, bedtime, co-operation, homework, the (5)…of voice children use when talking to their parents, and sweets. We teach parents how to be (6)… of the situation, how to be (7)…, firm and
consistent. We give the child extra (8)… in whatever subjects they’re weak in. By slowly getting the children off the machines, and (9)… computers with other activities and more (10)…, the habit is broken.

VII. Think of one word only which can be used appropriately in all three sentences in each group

1. Oh, do let me! I’d really much rather do your work than my own. You know, I can face reading much more of this article – it’s rather dull. Some people feel that the prisoner is rather to be praised than condemned.
  2. Can you please see that the children are in bed by seven? I was very sorry I wasn’t able to see Luke off at the airport. The solution was obvious to me, but Jade just couldn’t see it.
  3. So long as you bring a group with you, you’re allowed a free ticket. When there’s a free cubicle, I’ll pop in and , and see you in the pool. For a man with a large overdraft, he’s surprisingly free with his money.
  4. You’d better take a vote if you can’t reach a consensus. The effects of environment pollution will reach right across the planet. We’ve been trying to reach Graham all day, but he’s not answering his phone.
  5. The Stinger device may help the police to catch more joyriders. If your body’s resistance is low, you’re more likely to catch a cold. Sorry, I did not quite catch what you said just then.
  6. The manuscripts of the piano sonatas are not available in their original form. A fire is a form of punishment for a minor offense. Now Heather’s moved to the local state school, she’s in the same form as her cousin.
  7. The theft of their savings threw the Dodgson family into a picnic. At the second fence the horse reared up and threw its rider. Rushing to the controls, Will threw a switch, and the engine juddered to a halt.

VIII. Match the items numbered 1-10 with those a-m

1. occupy 2. vast 3. arid 4. prosperity 5. descent 6. urban
  2. status 8. apartheid 9. cooperate 10. hamper
    a. humid b. dry c. facilitate d. hinder, get in the way of e. social standing f. horrible g. very large; immense h. work together i. take up (spare or time) j. racial segregation k. pertaining to cities or towns l. lineage m. state of being successful, especially financially.
    Answer: 1-i; 2-g; 3-b; 4-m; 5-l; 6-k; 7-e; 8-j; 9-h; 10-d

There are a number of typos in your post, but I’ve ignored those, as I believe that they are genuine typos rather than grammar/vocabulary/spelling errors. (For example ‘a fire is a punishment’, rather than ‘a fine is a punishment’, or ‘threw the family into a picnic’, instead of ‘into a panic’!)

Part I
5. You can’t have won the prize or you’d have heard by now. (Though you might get away with that one.)
7. This is one of the best books I have ever read.

Part II

1. …then it wouldn’t be quite so bad.
  2. …she should certainly stay at home and she had better take the next day off too if she wasn’t better.
  3. …The tourist said that he wasn’t staying in the town and he would take it with him. - as the shop assistant said ‘Sir’, the tourist has to be male.

Part III
2. Almost everybody considers that stealing is wrong.
5. I would be grateful is you would send me further details of the job advertised.
6. The critic didn’t like the new play very much. (That might be okay, but ‘the critic didn’t think very much of the new play’ would be closer (opinion/ think))
9. It came as a shock to John to hear that he had failed his driving test.

Part V
8. (b) if
10 (d) then

Part VI
You don’t seem to have put in you answers to this section. However,
Mrs. Janis-Norton claims a high success rate with her (1) unique system which involves teaching the parents (2)as well as the child. It is a similar problem to (3)gambling or drug addiction. She says: “With the parents, we examine (4) all the issues that come up in a child’s day - food, bedtime, co-operation, homework, the (5)tone of voice children use when talking to their parents, and sweets. We teach parents how to be (6)in charge of the situation, how to be (7)positive, firm and
consistent. We give the child extra (8)confidence in whatever subjects they’re weak in. By slowly getting the children off the machines, and (9)replacing computers with other activities and more (10)love, the habit is broken.

Other than the typos such as those mentioned above, all the rest is fine. You seem to have done pretty well. :slight_smile:

Thank you very much for your correction. It helps me very much. There’s one sentence that I don’t understand:
I would be grateful is you would send me further details of the job advertised.
Why do you use “is”? Could you explain to me? Thank you very much for your help!
W.F.G

Sorry WFG - that was a sort of typo (caused by copying and pasting your sentence and not changing that word). It should be ‘if’.

Dear Beeesneees,

Thank you very much!

W.F.G

thank you very much