English Teachers/ESL Trainers wanted: Delitzsch

We are looking for English trainers for the following course.

Dates: June 8 through July 17
Times: 8:00 until 3 pm every day, 8 lessons per 45 minutes from Monday through Friday
Purpose: teach basic business English to beginners

The level of the group is between A1 and B1. You can share the course with other English Team Trainers. This means, you can do any number of days or weeks, preferably at least two days in a row over the entire period of time or at least for more than two weeks.

For more information, please contact me here on the forum or via email.

Many thanks,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, talks: Advertising a detox program[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi, Torsten,

you can send me the required days in Delitzsch. I haven’t planned my holiday yet, so I think I could also do several dates in July too.

Regards,

Roberto

Hi Roberto,

The Delitzsch dates are June 8 through July 17. What is your schedule/availability for the next three months? Which of the dates would you like to do?
Thanks,
Torsten
PS: When are you going to post your first voice recording in Spanish/Norwegian/Swedish/Polish, etc?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, talks: Welcoming a new business executive[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Torsten and Roberto,

Just a quick note to express my interest in helping work with this new group. I return from Spain on Sunday 14th of june, I’m available for any date after that.

I would like to wish all trainers a nice bank holiday weekend and lets keep our fingers crossed for good weather!

Scott

Hi Scott,

I’ll do the first two days of the new Delitzsch course (Monday/Tuesday, June 8/9) and you please take over and do the rest of the first week (June 10 through June 12).

As for the second week, I’ll post my suggestion later today.
Many thanks,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, talks: Statue dedication[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi, Torsten,

I’ve got a question regarding the dates of June. Could you please send me an overview? As I said in an a-mail before, I am available almost everyday in the next months, due to my flexible times. Another question: is it this week you are teaching the new English class in Delitzsch, or next week? I said to the class that you would come this week.

Regards

Roberto

Hi Torsten,
I would really like to start the first week here, but I did explain I don’t return from Spain till the 14th June.

So anything starting the 15th is fine with me.

Regards

Scott

Hi Roberto and Scott,

The new Delitzsch group is very dynamic, it consists of 11 people most of whom have learned some English before and all of them are very motivated to learn more. So far we have covered the following

• the alphabet
  • phrases to use in the classroom
  • personal pronouns/BE verb
  • simple present positive

We also translated a DHL flyer we got from the air courier agents group (the group who been working with, Roberto) which contained quite few business phrases such as profit margin, sales growth, management approach, etc.

Today we started using their course book (Business Basics) and we’ll get to page 11 or 12 today so you can take over from there. Please try to use as much English with the group as possible and have the stronger ones translate for the beginners.

More on this soon.
Thanks,
Torsten
PS: I handed out the two AFI scripts (Exercises and Basic Phrases).[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC short conversations: A customer orders corporate catering services.[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Torsten and Roberto,

I hope you’re all well, I’m sitting on the beach in Sunny Spain and its 32 degrees C!!!

I have sent responses for invitations regarding ext week with this group, and to be sure I thought I would also confirm on the thread.

The group sounds very interesting, I look forwardto meet them on Monday.

See you soon.

Scott

Hello Scott, be sure to let us know how well you first day went.

Kitos.

Hi Torsten,

according to the calendar I don’t have any appointments in Delitzsch from tomorrow 16 to Friday 19. I just wanted to make sure. I’ll post an update on the Luftfracht-class as soon as I can (maybe tonight later).

Regards,

tomorrow

Hi Torsten,

I’d like to update you on the last English sessions (Wednesday through Friday) in AFI Delitzsch. I am quite satisfied with the group, and due to this special classroom I think we can learn much better than in the other rooms of the school. There is a good group balance and sense of cohesiveness in spite of the heterogeneous character of the group.
On Wednesday I used my own hands-out, since I didn’t have the book provided by AFI. We repeated the basics you had practised with them, i.e., the verb to be, personal pronouns, the simple present, the verb to be etc. As usually, I had everyone introduce himself or herself (name, age, profession, origin, nationality, hobbies etc. ). I tried to clarify what it is important to learn English or generally any other language in the world, of course I focused the lesson on the basic rules to learn English:
What is English? Why do we need English? I actually found out that they are motivated and regard English as an important language in Germany and worldwide. I stressed the existence of false friends (handy, smoking, wife is not Weib, car is not Karre), gave them some rules and tricks to convert German words into English and vice versa. Also, they learnt about anglicisms in the German language (here in small letters): car sharing, outlet, public viewing (attention!!! doesn’t have often the same meaning), clean, hardware, software, marketing, top, hit, subway, family, kids etc.
We spent enough time classifying the English vocabulary of the first lessons into the different categories found in the conventional grammar: verbs, nouns, adjectives, prepositions, adverbs, pronouns, idioms and expressions and others.
The sentence structure was explained and the basics of the word position in an English sentence.
On Wednesday we learned the lyrics of Wind of Change late in the afternoon. The several words in the song were classified into nouns, verbs (also modal verbs), prepositions, important grammatical and lexical endings (such as: -s, -ing, -er etc…)

" Title: Scorpions - Wind of Change lyrics - This song originated in Han(n)over (Lower Saxony) and its lyrics celebrate the political changes in Eastern Europe in 1990-1991.

I follow the Moskva
Down to Gorky Park (This was surely interesting not only for our Russian participant Igor Igushin, I think)
Listening to the wind of change
An August summer night
Soldiers passing by

The world closing in
Did you ever think
That we could be so close,like brothers
The future’s in the air
I can feel it everywhere
Blowing with the wind of change

Chorus:
Take me to the magic of the moment
On a glory night
Where the children of tomorrow dream away
In the wind of change

Walking down the street
Distant memories
Are buried in the past forever

I follow the Moskva
Down to Gorky Park

On a glory night
Where the children of tomorrow share their dreams
With you and me

On a glory night
In the wind of change

The wind of change blows straight
Into the face of time
Like a stormwind that will ring
The freedom bell for peace of mind
Let your balalaika sing
What my guitar wants to say

On a glory night
Where the children of tomorrow share their dreams
With you and me

On a glory night
In the wind of change

On Thursday, in addition to the repetition of some known vocabulary + grammar in form of exercises, we continued to discover new associations with the old vocabulary. Furthermore, we discussed some efficient memory tricks to learn vocabulary, expressions etc. The usage of the business vocabulary in the English handbook (and more) were first explained and then practised: outlet, company, department, revenue, share, subsidiary, advertising, production, items, etc.
In order to avoid monotony in the class, I came up with interesting facts in the international (English) world: English-speaking countries in the world, EU-countries (how many?), EFTA-countries, some important international, British and USA corporations or companies such as IKEA (Sweden), Toyota (Japan), Microsoft (USA), BMW (USA), Siemens (Germany), Tesco (GB), MacDonalds (USA), Wal-Mart (USA);
famous personalities and billionaires in the world (Gordon Brown, Barack Obama, Van Gogh, Leonardo Da Vinci, Al Pacino, Al Capone, Salvador Dali, William Gates, Carlos Slim, Theo Albrecht etc. ).

I’ll summarize the rest of the covered aspects (Thursday and Friday):

• how much / how many: mass, volume, units; singular and plural
  • do/does, don’t, doesn’t: exceptions of the usage of this auxiliary verb.
  • modal verbs and the prep. to.: I can come tomorrow
  • general basic vocab: time expression, telling the time, days of the week, months, seasons of the year; different parts of a house, objects found in a room/office
  • possessive pronouns: my, your etc.
  • regular and some irregular plural forms; geese, feet, teeth, mice, women, men
  • the verb “to have”
  • giving a talk or making a presentation
  • spelling and pronunciation exercises
  • numbers
  • the three sectors of economy: primary, secondary and tertiary sector; agriculture, raw materials, industry, manufacturing and production, services, education etc.

On Thursday we listened to the song “Unchain my heart” by Joe Cocker late in the afternoon too.

Have a nice weekend and regards,

Roberto

Delitzsch 15th June.
It was good to meet the new group in Delitzsch today; they are all very eager and dynamic.
As normal we began by looking at introductions, I asked the group to interview each other in pairs and report back to the group.
We then reviewed the alphabet by playing a game of hangman.
Next we did a little bit of brainstorming looking at different forms of advertising, and the group created a company name, logo and flyer.
We carried on with the book on page 18, ‘Planning a trip’, which concentrates on making enquires about a hotels facilities (Is there and are there?)
Also making a reservation and special requests, using can, could and may.
We also made our own list of questions.
We finished the day with a session of brainstorming; we created a list of English foods.
16th June.
We began the day with a round of hangman.
Next I had prepared a handout about cash crops which was a reading exercise with multiple choice questions afterwards.
I explained the use of frequency adverbs in English, and their equivalents in German.
After our break we continued with the book, 2.2 ‘Flying out’, which concentrates on saying the time, distance and frequency, plane travel and booking a flight. Also questions of time, distance and frequency.
I explained to the group about the large amount of words with silent letters which highlighted the difference between English and German (phonetic and non-phonetic)

17th June
Again to try and instil the English alphabet, we started the day with a session of hangman.
I then created a handout listing many words that contain silent letters, which I read and asked the ss to mark the silent letter(s) in each word.
We then looked at asking/giving directions and prepositions of locations, which as normal was ok with in and on but as ‘at’ replaces 13 German prepositions the group at times found it a bit tricky. But I explained the importance of watching English TV programmes, reading English publications and listening to English music as the prepositions are used a lot.
We finished by looking at all the parts of the body.
18th June
We began with a session of ‘Pictionary’, so each ss would draw a picture on the board based on a word they have seen/heard during the course. Then the group would try to guess the word, the person who guesses the word then had to spell it.
Next we compiled a list of sports, including the equipment needed for each sport, and we also gave our opinion (I think…) on whether the sport is safe, dangerous or potentially fatal.
Next we made a list of the board of Countable and uncountable nouns, with which I explained the use of much, many and a lot of with help of a handout. We also looked briefly at some and any.
19th June
Hangman.
We did a reading exercise about ‘Environmental issues’, to highlight the pronunciation of English words, I asked the ss to read as I read, then we spoke about the article and any new words.
Next I had compiled a list of ‘Denglish, words, and as normal they were all very surprised just how many English words they already use and know. In fact some of the words they didn’t know the German word for.
We then compiled a list of ‘False Friends’.
I reviewed the 2 main English verbs To be and To have, firstly in the present then in the past.
I explained inf+ed for regular verbs in the simple past, and the pronunciation difference between ‘t, ‘d and ‘id.
To finish the day/week we compiled a list of everyday common verbs, in the inf and the simple past.
All in all its been a great week with this group, they’re all very motivated and interested. They also expressed they prefer to use mainly English as they feel they have already started understanding a lot more.