Ending "th"

Well, I just want to know how I could explain such as ending “th” in some verbs or nouns (actually, I’m not sure when and where I must add the ending “th”). For instance, “give” sometimes I’ve seen it transforms as “giveth” or “bread” becomes “breadth”. Maybe this could be an easier topic for you guys and for me it becomes harder 'cause I think you’ve got to be involved in a suitable English environment to understand completely what people tell you…thanks anyway and

See ya! :slight_smile:

Well, bread and breadth are two entirely different words.

Bread is the food that you bake derived from wheat or some kind of grain.

Breadth means the distance or measurement of an object or thing from one side to another side. It means the extent or distance or the amount of room something has or how much space it contains.

Giveth is a term that we no longer use. You can find it in books written during the Middle Ages or the Renaissance. Today, it is commonly seen in the King James’ Version of the Bible which was written during the 1600s. It is the conjugation that you use when you want to say He/she/it gives something to someone else. For example, “The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away.” So in this case both the verbs give and take have a “th” at the end because this is the way that a verb was used when describing the action of a third party during this time period.

I hope this makes sense.

Centuries ago, the form of the verb that ends in TH was the one that corresponded to the third person singular in the present tense.

he giveth
she giveth
they giveth

Now we use the -S suffix instead.

Similarly, the familiar, informal pronoun for “you” was “thou”, and it had its own ending.

I have
thou hast
he hath