end up vs. close up

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #299 [color=blue]“Life: Phrasal Verbs”, question 4

After years of committing petty crimes, Ralph finally up in jail for armed robbery.

(a) went
(b) closed
(c) ended
(d) tried

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #299 [color=blue]“Life: Phrasal Verbs”, answer 4

After years of committing petty crimes, Ralph finally ended up in jail for armed robbery.

Correct answer: (c) ended
[size=200]_________________________[/size]

I think “close up” as forever in jail . “Ended up” means “He has been realeased” ?

No and no.

End up = finally be or do something
Close up = seal, confine. This possibility cannot be used here, since ‘Ralph’ is the subject (it would require a passive structure).

Can you give me other examples with “end up” for my full satisfaction and understanding of it.

Americans are likely to end up with nothing by way of universal care for many years to come.
If Vermont abandoned its bottle bill, it would end up with twice the amount of contaminated product.
When you install a Java update, you’ll end up with the Yahoo Toolbar unless you uncheck a box.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission estimates that more than 6000 people each year end up in the emergency room due to injuries.
If the U.S. continues on the trend towards a service-based economy, it could end up with wealth concentrated on the two coasts.