Encourage people wear them?

Shouldn’t the following sentence read “Nonetheless, Asian countries generally encourage people to wear them.”?

Nonetheless, Asian countries generally encourage people wear them.

4 Likes

Hi!

I think it’s always ‘encourage to’ +…
so

must have been an omission.
[Title of post needs editing I think unless it’s intentionally misleading :upside_down_face:]

Still… might I invite you to have a look at that sentence I posted:

Does this look strange to you at all?

3 Likes

I have been thinking about this sentence and apparently it is ambiguous in many aspects. Here is how I suggest it could be rephrased.

1. She invited her friends to a place where she herself is not going to show up at.
  2. She invited her friends to a place where she has the chance to pretend that she is somebody else.

Please let know what you think. Also, it would be helpful to ask the author of that sentence what they had in mind when they wrote it.

3 Likes

Hi Vivianna,

You encourage people to do something, so verb + noun + to-infinitive.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply!
I’m the author of this gem! :grin:

Now… just saying it’s ambiguous means there’s something wrong with it; although I hadn’t hoped it’d be that much.
The meaning is conveyed by the first ‘re-phrased’ sentence:

I just meant it to be as concise and flowing as possible with the fewest possible bends, junctions… etc (if you know what I mean).

Still I wonder how I came up with that syntax ; Whether it came out of some colloquial use I came across with, even a grammatically false one -or just my imagination.

3 Likes

Torsten, I’m sure you meant ‘wear’ instead of ‘weare’, right? :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Where did I write ‘were’? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You wrote ‘weare’ in the topic’s title, Torsten. :blush: Encourage people to wear them.

2 Likes

Molto, Molto bene, Torsten. :grinning: Ti apprezzo perché vuoi correggere i tuoi errori e perché sei un buon allenatore. It means: 'I appreciate you because you’re willing to correct your mistakes and because you’re a good language coach for all of us. I’m studying Italian, see?

2 Likes