Easter has arrived

Easter has arrived

It’s a three letter word. It is popular at the moment especially if you like chocolate. You can boil it, fry it, scramble it or poach it. It’s an odd sort of shape - kind of rounder and bigger at the base and slightly pointed at the top. Got it? Yes, you’re right, it’s an egg. And eggs are in the news at the moment. You go into any supermarket this weekend and you will see piles of Easter Eggs made of different ingredients to whet your appetite. I was thinking of the one I shall probably buy for myself today and it occurred to me that this little word ‘egg’ pops up in different expressions. My favourite one is ‘get egg on your face’ which means to become embarrassed over what you have said or done. For example you could repeatedly say that you are right when you insist that a certain word means what you say. Then someone looks it up in the dictionary and it is clear that you are wrong after all. The expression comes from the days when actors or performers at the theatre had eggs thrown at them if the audience thought they were not entertaining enough.

People can also be likened to eggs. An egghead is someone who is regarded as very clever and knowledgeable - probably something to do with the shape of the head of someone like this. Whereas a hard-boiled egg is someone who is very tough as far as their feelings are concerned. A rotten egg is a person you can’t trust because they are dishonest and unreliable.

Putting all your eggs in one basket has a sense of money and investment. If you do this, you are choosing to devote all your energy, all your money into one enterprise or project. That of course is an unwise move since if that project fails, all your assets are lost. Sensible people do it differently - they put some money to one side for the future and create what we call a nest egg. Sometimes you have to persuade young people to follow this advice. You have to encourage them or egg them on. Mind you whatever action you take you have to be careful and if you are very cautious and do not intend to upset anyone in the process, you are said to be walking on eggshells.

Now I said earlier that I was thinking of buying myself an Easter eggs but then if I really want to be a good egg, a nice person, I should also buy eggs for the rest of my family.

Happy Easter

2 Likes

3 Likes

Hi Yana,

Thank you very much for the beautiful picture and the seasonal greetings.

Happy Easter to all you lovely ladies.

Alan

3 Likes

Hi Alan, thanks a lot for this colourful Easter Egg Essay (aka EEE). Thanks to you I’ve learned another expression — to have egg on one’s face. Apparently, ‘egg’ here is treated as an uncountable noun as in ‘bacon and egg’. Just another of the many examples of nouns in English that can be countable as well as uncountable.

1 Like