each or every

I saw . . . one of those films.
a.each
b.every
which is correct?
please with explainations

BOTH are.

‘each’ emphasizes that we are talking about people/things individually
[color=indigo]Each one of us was asked our whereabouts the night of the shooting. (We were interviewed separately.)

[color=indigo]I saw each one of those films at least twice before I could decide on which was getting my vote for Best Picture.

‘every’ refers to all the individual members of a set, regarded as a collective whole.

[color=indigo]If every one of us is vigilant, then our Neighbourhood Watch team should be able to rid our suburb of crime.

[color=indigo]I watched every one of those films in a mammoth 14 hour marathon sitting.

‘Each one’ is more common; ‘every one’ more emphatic. Both are acceptable.

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Biglittleboy:

What a great question!

Do you have a book called PRACTICAL ENGLISH USAGE by Michael Swan? Many students (and teachers) find that it has many of the answers that they are looking for.

This is what Mr. Swan says:

1. “In many cases, both ‘each’ and ‘every’ can be used without much difference of meaning.”

2. “We prefer ‘each’ when we are thinking of people or things separately, one at a time.”

a. “I’ve got five brothers and each one is quite different from the others.”

1. "And ‘every’ is more common when we are thinking of people or things together, in a group. (‘Every’ is closer to ‘all.’)

a. “His books are wonderful. I’ve read every one [“all”] of them.”

So, maybe (maybe!) the better answer is:

“I saw every one [“all”] of those films.”

(I would also be more comfortable with changing “saw” to “have seen.”)

James